Laser

BowTie

I am getting tired of using string while checking the car. I have limited space in the garage and keep tripping over it or kicking the jackstands etc.

Has anyone used laser levels to string their car? IF so, what brand/kind?

How about those cheap ones they sell at Harbor Freight.

Also, How do you wire a stock gm ac/delco alternator for one wire?

One thing to look at when buying a laser device is the varience. I was looking at one of those laer things to hang pictures and the varience showed 0.55" at 30'. That doesnt sound like alot but, when you are "stringing" your car it can mean a world of diffrence. Not all lasers are created alike. Thats why there is chaep ones and expensive ones.

A couple of years ago we bought several of the inexpensive Torpedo Boy lasers at Harbor Freight and couldn’t wait to get them home and “really” square the car. We spent a whole weekend fabricating little jigs for them to position the rear end, set the toe, check Ackerman and bump, you name it. What we ended up with was kind of a mixed bag. The lasers weren’t accurate enough when projected out to 100 inches or so but with all the double checking we also learned that our “old” methods weren’t nearly as accurate as we had thought either. My advice would be to forget about lasers altogether and buy a couple of zerk-o-bobs for the front and hang a couple of plumb bobs over the rear end tubes. It will tell you exactly how the rear end position relates to the front suspension, which is really the important thing anyway. Remember to account for any toe in/out in the housing because that will throw everything off. For lateral positioning the cheapo lasers work great. Just snap one to the frame rail front and rear and measure to the face of each rotor. They’re are also a great tool for setting Ackerman with the car on jack stands. jp

I've never been happy with the laser strings especially when I'm checking dynamic toe changes through body roll scenarios. In my mind, nothing beats a taunt string and a good machinist's rule when checking bump steer.

I'm sure the laser comes in very handy in other scenarios (such as checking Ackerman and squaring the car) however. But since I rarely recommend using any Ackerman steering I have limited use of the laser.

Nick Holt

Since Ackerman has been brought up here.

How do we decrease or get rid of (0) ackerman on a car under sas sportsman rules.

Anything that helps a car is illegal.

Archived