Thinking Outside the Box

TxRaceFan

Just wanted to congratulate a few of the local area race teams who have decided to put up rather than shut up in terms of getting their cars in front of more prospective fans...

The #99 Stapp Street Stock which runs a regular schedule at THR Raceway has recently been seen making the Central Texas Hometown Festival circuit, having appeared recently in parades at the Lockhart Chisholm Trail Roundup (CTR) and the Luling Watermelon Thump (Thump). This year's CTR parade also featured home-town driver #22 Rodney Rodriguez of the San Antonio Sportsman Class Outlaw II Motorsports team. The parade featured floats and businesses from as far away as Lampasas, Flatonia, San Antonio, Austin, Gonzales, and many others.

The Outlaw II car also made an appearance at the Luling Watermelon Thump's annual car show on Sunday, June 27, taking home a first place trophy for his car's appearance in over 23 classes of antique, hotrod, race, street, and refurbished cars and show trucks. The Outlaw II team gave away 3 sets of SAS tickets to prospective race fans who came by to admire their car and trophy after the judging was completed.

Granted, these two drivers are known for being fan-friendly - but face it, it's a good thing when you can get your car in front of a whole group of people who might not otherwise realize what track opportutnities exist literally in their own back yards.

Way to go, guys. Hope some of these good deeds pay off for you in terms of fan loyalty and driver recognition. :P

TxRaceFan-

You're right, kudos do go to those two teams, but not for "thinking outside the box." They are simply two of the very few teams doing any of the things they should be doing to promote their team.

Tommy and Josh Freeman also make appearances they've arranged themselves (as opposed to those arranged by a sponsor or track), for example.

None of them take it far enough, however. If you are going to make such appearances, they should be publicized in advance. There are two reasons for this. One is that it increases the audience by letting people know there are going to be racing cars and drivers there (instead of simply putting the cars in front of whatever audience was going to show up, anyway), and the second is that it shows your sponsor that you are working to get them additional exposure.

For instance, there was an advance story about the Luling event in the Austin American-Statesman, but no specific cars or drivers were listed. The "advance" was fairly light on information, so I'm sure something on the cars and drivers would have been included if someone had let them know far enough in advance.

We've been known to put a racing car in a home and garden show (most attended booth at the event), and there should never be a new car show without some local racing cars also part of the event, with the necessary advance publicity.

As you said, both drivers and crews you mentioned are known for being fan friendly. The question is, why aren't all of the cars and drivers doing this kind of thing, and doing it with advance promotion? What is it that everyone really likes about NASCAR guys? They are more accessible than the stick-and-ball guys, and they don't charge for autographs.

(Though, admittedly, as NASCAR grows, it is more difficult to arrange for the drivers to have time for fan interaction. If NASCAR is really smart, they'll make sure some time is allowed at the tracks for such interaction.)

The biggest PR blunder of last weekend, in case no one heard, is that Richard Childress offered to put champ car driver Paul Tracy in a car for the Infineon race, and Tracy's team turned it down, saying they didn't want to confuse the fans. Thus, they lost the chance to get some NASCAR fans to maybe watch the next champ car event.

This from a series that needs all the exposure it can get as it tries to survive. Some people in racing are too dumb to be believed.

Well, the Outlaw II team decided to do the Thump show only AFTER finding out late Friday that SAS was rained out on Saturday. It's hard to promote being at an event (especially when it's so hard to get feature pieces in the Austin American-Statesman) without knowing what kind of condition your car may be in on the day after a race. So if you do "promise" or "promo" to be somewhere and then your car ends up being demolished the night before, not only does your car look bad, but you might not FEEL like being at an event the next day...

I do know that the Stapp Bros. mentioned in their Press Release (found in another section of this board) that they would be at the Luling parade. And I'm quite sure that their sponsor (Miller Lite) was happy to know that they were there.

I happened to see the almost full page article in the Wednesday June 23 San Marcos paper about THR's results from last week. What was featured? That a couple of drivers were thrown OUT for unsportsmanlike conduct. What was the hottest topic on this board last week? The unsportsmanlike conduct in CC. (Well, that and how many drivers were upset that they didn't do as well as Brandon Bendele did at the Texas 125 Challenge)...

So my point in congratulating these two race teams who "get it" (Todd McLemore, Doug Hooks, and several others have been known to do this for years with good results) is that if more of the drivers who spend so much time whining on this board about low attendance/purses/personal recognition at their home tracks would get out there and do what these guys do to get more fans in the stands - then they should be commended for it.

TQ many drivers participate in other events. I have set-up, run, and tore down the Texas Dwarf Car Assoc. booth at the Austin Custom Car and Hot Rod Show for 3 years. We put local cars (Buda & San Marcos) in the booth and those drivers voluneer to sign autographs and help us out A LOT every year. (Thank you Arden, Keith, & Mr. Roach) Each year we get 3 or 4 very serious inquiries about buying and/or racing dwarf cars. The number ONE thing we do is promote the dates we have schedules at Thunder Hill (It is usually the 2nd or 3rd Saturday of each month for the season.) If it was cost effective we would put all of cars in the show!! It is pretty damn expensive to get the booth size we get.

The other thing we do is go to the Snapka's night here in CC. I think it is the 3rd Friday night of each month and promote our shows at CCMS. I try to take a handful of coupons with me. We take the cars off of the trailer down the street and drive them to the parking lot! Make some noise and draw attention. We even got attention from the police one night we really did not want!!

So my point ... is that if more of the drivers who spend so much time whining on this board about low attendance/purses/personal recognition at their home tracks would get out there and do what these guys do to get more fans in the stands - then they should be commended for it.

I'll second that!!!

TxRaceFan-

I understand you can't promote an event in advance if you don't know you are going to be able to be there. As for getting features in the Statesman, my point was that there WAS a feature in the Statesman in advance of the Thump, but they obviously didn't have any information on specific cars or drivers.

I did see Chase's release, but I have no idea where else he sent it. It should have gone to at least 25 or 30 media outlets in central Texas and been followed up with phone calls to each. Putting it on here is preaching to the choir; we're already race fans.

And, before you send me a post about the above, saying it's too much trouble, I'll remind you that it's exactly what the major sports do.

Thanks TxRaceFan, we had a great time in Luling, the folks were very receptive to us , they don't get to see stock cars @ those cars shows all too often. It seems like all of those festival deals are drag cars or classics. Many of the people were surprised when we would let them touch the car or even sit in it in many cases.

It was cool @ the Lockhart event , we actually had people stopping us on the parade route to take pics of and even pics with the car.

Nice way to spend some time with people and hopefully sell our sport , I think any benefit SAS or THR can get from these events is awesome.

Rodney 22

I did see Chase's release, but I have no idea where else he sent it. It should have gone to at least 25 or 30 media outlets in central Texas and been followed up with phone calls to each.

Thanks for the comments folks. We're trying.

I sent the press release about the parades to newspapers in the following towns one week prior to the Chisolm Trail parade:

San Marcos, Austin, Lockhart, Luling, Kyle (free press), Wimberley, and New Braunfels.

At the Luling Parade, I was approached by the Editor of the Lockhart paper. He thanked me for the releases I've sent and requested that I keep sending them. Positive feedback is cool.

cs

Hey outlaw I did the thump car show a few years ago when I was racing. That was alot of fun to me, glad you had a good time. I have done my share of car shows throughout the years and then some. I am glad that more drivers are starting to participate in the communities. Way to go!

alot of our showings are done on the spur of the moment- alot of times a saleman comes into my shop during the day to push a product or sale an old one and we will be talking and he will mention his company is having an event somewhere sat from ? to ? for a fund raiser or show off something new-and i tell him i can bring out my race car or what ever i'm racing at the time and display it and help push the product and he says sure-no problem-we show up and are treated like kings-i've helped em sale and they end up on our car-over the years i have gotten lots of support from people and companys this way-i call it networking-i meet somebody that knows somebody and it just goes on and on-by doing this over the last 18 years,i've had deals with amsoil/ pennzoil/valvoline/eagle one/mac tools/matco tools/carquest auto parts/bosch spark plugs/federated auto parts(before anbody knew who they where)was offered snap- on-(but had ties going with another tool company)even the company that roofed my house after a hail storm became a sponsor-just to name a few-also have had people pay for fuel/rooms/meals-i've meet at a function-my deal is you "got to give to get"-car shows are another way to network-it's a good way to promote a product somebody wants to get out there-i know i didnt do it the way you would have TQ by not advertising where i was going to be -but hell i never knew where i was going to be most of the time- lol

Tommy-

I mentioned that you can't promote something that happens suddenly, as some of your appearances have. I was talking about promoting when you do have some lead time. By the way, folks, Tommy does it the right way, looking to see what he can do for a sponsor, and then letting them see how much it's worth.

(As opposed to, say, trying to find a $50,000.00 sponsor for a ROMCO series car that races in front of maybe 10,000 people a season. Overprice the "product" and you can't sell it.)

Chase, you didn't mention TV stations, but we've gotten very good response from TV over the years. Something else to remember is that, for something like the Thump, a newspaper or station may be looking for interesting features, and the fact that a racing car and driver are going to be there may be the deciding factor in choosing to cover that event over another one.

If we're going to list those drivers who do appearances in the community, then I think it's only fair for me to list all the THR drivers who have done Drivers Appearances this year...

As mentioned before, Chase Stapp (#99 Street Stock) and the #99 crew...The Stapps have always been giving of their time, now and when I was at THR before..

Marvin Buck (#33 Street Stock) and John Wire (#71 Street Stock)...both made 2 appearances on the SAME Saturday in concert with two Z-102.3 FM (KPEZ-FM) remotes..Marvin's done appearances with me before this year..

Michael Cullen (#55 Late Model)..was with us at last weekend's Red, White and Buda Parade..made appearances for me before, too..

Todd Weeks (#24 Street Stock)...was with us at last weekend's Red, White and Buda Parade..drove an hour-and-a-half to get there, and was there an hour early on top of that..

David Snokhous (#03 Late Model) and Leland Waddell (#28 Late Model)...was with us on two occasions this year so far, Snooky was with the Stapps and James Reeder at the Bob Bullock/NASCAR movie appearance..Snooky, Leland and crew have always been giving of their time, now and when I was at THR before..

Doug Ayers (#02 Street Stock)...Doug made for us in our appearance at Hays High School..Doug and his crew have always been giving of their time, now and when I was at THR before..

Marc Currey (#05 Late Model)..he's had his car at a few of our appearances this year..I didn't work with Marc before this year, but he's made himself readily available for our Drivers Appearances..

James Reeder (#4 Late Model)..James was at the Bob Bullock Museum/NASCAR movie..James and his crew have always been giving of their time, now and when I was at THR before..

The White Knuckle Racing team of Charles Buxton and Brian "Victory" Lane (#77 Late Model), Bobby and Clint LaFont (#3 Street Stock) and Tommy (#9 Late Model) & Teresa Gural (#25 Late Model)..WKR, the LaFonts and the Gurals have always been giving of their time, now and when I was at THR before..

If I forgot anyone here, please follow up with a post and identify him/her/them...but since someone started this thread, I wanted to make sure the hard work of several drivers was recognized and the hard-working folks were given their due...As stated before, these kinds of appearances not only help the specific race teams but also the race track...we appreciate ANY AND ALL efforts.. :D

Chuck-

I wasn't trying to leave anyone out, but the discussion was about drivers who have arranged their own appearances, as opposed to those who will come out when asked. When we set up the first show at the Bullock museum, both Terry and Tracy Tschoerner and Michael Jones brought cars out, and Tim Sowell put an engine in Michael's car so we could move it around and make some noise. They really saved the show at a time when I was having trouble (on ten days notice) getting real (tube frame) race cars because most of them were still in pieces.

It isn't enough for you and me to set up things for drivers, teams, tracks, series or whatever. They all need to take a certain amount of responsibility for promoting not only themselves, but the sport.

TxRaceFan's original point was that the two teams he'd mentioned were doing just that.

TQ--

Gotcha, and thanks for the explanation. I thought I'd throw out a few names as long as we were on the subject.. :D And..thanks to you, too, because it goes without saying that you've been doing this for a long time--well before I got here..

J.C.--

Thanks for the offer. Please PM me your phone info, or call me on my cell. Thanks! B)

TQ,

You make some good points about the driver's appearances and the value of notifying the media. The first step for the driver's is to just get up and go. There have been many opportunities that have already been set up and promoted. The driver's just need to show up. The main reason we do these appearances is to reach out to new fans that don't know about us and to possibly find new sponsor opportunites that are waiting to be had. Of all the appearances that we have done, only a fraction of our cars have been there. We have tried to get four or five cars at each of these appearances and we usually have only two that show up. It takes a lot of work to set up these appearances and most of them have been successful and have shown good results with the fans. The impact would be much better if we had a larger car count.

The main reason we do appearances is to find new fans. The second reason is to build driver loyalty with our existing fans. The reason NASCAR Busch series is not as popular as NEXTEL Cup is because of the promotion of the driver's. It is not that the racing is necessarily is better, they just recognize and can identify with the driver's. The third reason, which you mentioned, is to support your sponsors and build on their support for your racing team.

I commend the teams that are taking the initiative to do appearances on their own like Stapp Racing, Gural Racing, Marvin Buck and others. If any other teams know of opportunities to do appearances and need help setting them up, contact Chuck or myself and we would be glad to help.

By the way, one more driver that was not mentioned is Shawn Paul Lehman who brought his car to Wallace Middle School and his Truck to Hays High School with the help of Grandpa, Junior Medlock.

Keep up the good work, everyone.

One of the things I mentioned in the original post is that Outlaw II gave away 3 sets of SAS tickets to people who said that they would be willing to drive to San Antonio to come watch the #22 car run on the track.

TQ mentions (repeatedly) what to do to market your team and appearances to prospective sponsors. That's his, Chuck's, and apparently, Greg Gurley's job. To teach you how to do PR and Media Relations.

But which PUBLIC are you trying to RELATE to?

If your personal level of racing would be enhanced by having/recruiting sponsors, then do it their way. If, however, you are racing because YOU love the sport and want to turn other people onto the sport, then get them in the stands to become fans/supporters. Yes, Tommy mentioned that sometimes you meet someone, who knows someone, who's cousin works for someone, yada, yada, and a sponsorship falls into your lap (or you work your butt off to get it). And marketing is "how the other major sports do it" right, TQ?

But ya' know, sometimes, it's just good to GIVE BACK rather than holding your hand out asking for MORE. There wasn't a potential sponsor in the group that came over and admired the #22 car. They were in awe that a race car driver would let them pull up the window net, climb in the seat, and touch, feel, and take pictures with the car. Every other car @ that show had huge "don't touch" signs on it. Or cordoned off sections 3 feet around the car. That, my friends, is RELATING to the PUBLIC. :D

We met a couple in Luling Friday night who asked us if we knew where the Erwin Center in Austin was. They needed directions because they were driving FROM Victoria to Austin on 2 hours advance notice because the wife WON free tickets on a radio station to the Alabama farewell concert in Austin. Do you think they would have bought tickets to go? Or considered driving the 2-3 hours each way to get to Austin if the tickets wouldn't have been FREE? They most likely listened to the radio station they won the tickets from for as long as it was in range. They probably bought Alabama merchandise while @ the concert. They had to have eaten/drank somewhere along the way. And since we met them in Luling at a gas station, I know that they also stopped for fuel along the way. That is ECONOMIC IMPACT. It is what the various Chambers of Commerce look at when deciding if they want their community to bid on hosting various events.

I gave various kudos yesterday to other drivers who I've seen at appearances. Todd McLemore and Doug Hooks both can attest that not only have they garnered sponsors and fan recognition by their respective appearances, but also I would assume that their personal companies have benefited from the exposure as well. Especially since I believe each is main-sponsored from his employer/company.

When I started this thread it was to get folks to realize that there ARE opportunities OUTSIDE of indoor car shows, appearances at Auto Parts Stores and home/garden shows to show off your car. Like TQ said, albeit in a totally different context, at those kinds of events, you're already preaching to the converted. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, the Travel Channel was filming a documentary on local hometown festivals during the Thump to air later this year. Maybe that will qualify on your radar screen as tv media exposure.

TxRaceFan,

I agree with everything you have said. There are so many opportunities to reach out to the public and find new race fans. You never know which events will be successful and which will be slow. Every event that we have done, we have met people that were excited to find out about Thunder Hill, we gave them Free or Discounted tickets and that made all the effort worthwhile.

It is fun to see people climb into the race cars and see their excitement to be behind the wheel. Some of the best appearances we've done have been at local schools. Those kids were so excited to climb into those cars, have their pictures taken and to hear those engines fire up. All we have to do is get out there to the public and the cars and drivers sell themselves. We hand them a ticket and the stands fill up more each week.

I wish we could of had a better presence at the Luling Parade, it sounds like it was a great event. Thanks to Stapp racing for being there to represent Thunder Hill and for handing out the discount tickets to some new race fans. Good job Outlaw II and the # 22 team for stepping up and representing SAS and promoting local Stock Car racing. Keep up the good work.

It is not my primary goal to look for sponsors. We are just trying to hit every event we can and invite people to come check out local Stock Car racing at Thunder Hill. When the stands are all full then we'll know we've done a good job. Thanks to all the race teams that have helped so far and to the teams that are going to participate in future events.

Good post TxRaceFan.

Archived