96 db

8racefan

aaaaa lllloooottttttt!!!! this thread will fill up quick.... from some of the stuff i heard last night there has got to be some inaccurracies in the way they are checking..

from some of the stuff i heard last night there has got to be some inaccurracies in the way they are checking..

If your car doesn't meet the rules, then complain about the officials.. LOL That's the oldest one in the book.

Here are the facts.

There were three dB meters in use with the ROMCO cars. All three dB meters read the same.

It is true that during the practice sessions on both Friday and Saturday many of the ROMCO cars did not meet the dB requirements. But during the dB test itself, everybody passed. And to back that up, I rechecked each car during their time trials (no sandbagging going on) and I obtained nearly identical results - every ROMCO team was in compliance. Of course, there was a LOT of work taking place on those cars between practice and dB checks.

Terry Barden, ROMCO's Race Director, was right there with me during all the practices and during the dB tests. He had his own dB meter which was identical to mine and read the same. At no time was there any question about the accuracy of the dB meters or the procedures we use to take the measurements.

Last week TAMS Race Director Wayne Norrell had his own dB meter and took readings right next to me. We agreed on every reading. All of his cars were able to pass even though many of them had to do a lot of work on their eshaust systems in order to do so.

While he did not have his own dB meter, TPS Race Director Neil Upchurch also was present during the dB reading for his cars. He observed the procedures and wrote down the readings from the same meter I was using. Even though one of his cars was unable to compete due to not meeting the sound requirements, he was in total agreement that the readings we obtained were accurate.

Nick Holt

nick - colt said he went out in the 2nd practice,and registered a 97. they packed the muffler more,went back out in the last practice and registered a 101..i don't know from 2nd-to last practice what the difference in his times were,but that's a huge margin.

Crazyhorse,

nick - colt said he went out in the 2nd practice,and registered a 97. they packed the muffler more,went back out in the last practice and registered a 101..i don't know from 2nd-to last practice what the difference in his times were,but that's a huge margin.

Shawn Paul,

Here is the data I recorded for the 15 car.

1st Practice (Front Straight): 98, 97, 97

2nd Practice (Back Straight): No measurements taken on this car

3rd Practice (Back Straight): 99, 99

4th Practice (Front Straight): No measurements taken on this car

dB check (Front Straight): 95, 95, 95

Time Trials (Fornt Straight): 95, 95, 95

I do not know where you got your information from, but these numbers are taken directly from the sheets I used during the dB checks.

Nick Holt

ok i know its done and over with dont wanna start anything but i was told by mr lynch after my first practice i was 96. knowing i was right on the edge of legal we elected to go ahead and pack the muffler to be on the safe side. After I did that i was told by mr barden that i was 101 on the db. I still dont see how it can go up after i packed it the first time but the main thing is that we passed so no arguments from me:)

Colt,

Mr. Barden was also taking dB readings on his own. At times he was at the back straight while I was on the front straight. And at times, if two or more cars are running on the track at the same time, the readings can be a bit higher than if the car was running by itself.

If Mr Barden got a 101 reading on your car during practice, then that's what he got. I reported what I got in the above post.

Nick Holt

Nick,

I was not at the track but, there seemed to be a little confusion as to who should be telling a team that they are above or below the 96 db range. It is a track rule and not a ROMCO rule as I understand it. As we all know ROMCO has to adhere to the THR rules..... So the question arises, who (THR or ROMCO) takes the official reading and tells the driver their db rating? I was assuming that THR was the officially taking the db readings, but after reading Colt's post that Mr. Barden told him he was at a 101 (after he already got a lower reading with less paking in his muffler) I'm lost.

TheLegend96,

So the question arises, who (THR or ROMCO) takes the official reading and tells the driver their db rating? I was assuming that THR was the officially taking the db readings, but after reading Colt's post that Mr. Barden told him he was at a 101 (after he already got a lower reading with less paking in his muffler) I'm lost.

I am sorry to confuse you.

To answer your question, the dB rule is a THR rule.

It is really a fairly simple rule: In order to compete at THR a car must register 96 dB, or less, at 100 feet under full acceleration. THR officials take the official dB readings during a time specified (in this case it was between 5:00 p.m. and 5:45 p.m. on Saturday) and notify any THR team that does not meet the requirements or notify the Race Director of the series in which that car competes if one of their cars does not meet the requirements.

However, during many practice sessions THR officials take dB readings as a courtesy to the teams that are competing at THR that weekend. Most teams find this information useful since it helps them plan their strategy to meet the dB requirements during the actual dB check.

Perhaps some of the confusion arose because ROMCO officials were also taking dB readings during practice sessions and reporting their readings directly to their teams. This is perfectly legitimate and most teams found the information useful. Whether or not ROMCO officials take their own independent measurements during practice sessions and relay the results to their teams is entirely up to them. And what individual teams do with that information is their own business. The readings I take during the actual dB check are the only measurements that determine whether a car meets the dB requirements.

If this is confusing to anyone, I apologize.

However, I think the real point you are trying to make is that my readings during practice for Colt and Mr. Barden's readings for Colt during another practice sessions did not seem to agree. I tried to explain in an earlier post how readings could legitimately differ (several cars on the track at the same time, etc.) but apparently you did not accept that explanation. All I can do is report the readings I obtained and let you make your own conclusions about the readings anyone else obtained.

I hope this has helped to unconfuse you.

Nick Holt

Archived