Dwarf dB readings at THR, 6/24/04

NickHolt

The #05 Dwarf car driven by Keith Roach (one of the faster Dwarf cars) has found a muffler that really works on his car.

His dB readings were in the 101 range until he put on the SuperTrapp muffler he had all set to put on. That muffler lowered his dB readings to the 90-91 range. That's a 10 dB difference! The best part was that his lap times actually decreased a tenth or two with the muffler on.

Nick Holt

Reb,

Just reporting what the stopwatch said.

With no muffler the times spread between 19.14 and 18.89.

With a muffler the times spread between 18.88 and 18.79.

I think what is happening is that with some back pressure, the HP goes down a bit but the torque goes up a bit. At THR torque is more important than HP.

Nick Holt

Guys, what Nick is saying is the the 05 got faster after the muffler was installed...aka turned quicker laps.

That's exactly what we're after during practice whether it be due to mufflers, setup, or whatever else.

cs

How are decreased lap times the best part of practice? Are other cars losing more than a tenth or two when they put on mufflers?

Waco Racer,

I thought one of the primary goals of practice was to reduce your lap times. Why would anyone want to increase their lap times? I am saying that the Dwarf car went faster with the muffler on than he did with no muffler.

Decreased lap times = going faster than before

Increased lap times = going slower than before

From what I have observed at THR, cars with effective muffler systems are going slightly faster than they were without the muffler system. When the TAMS cars were at THR last week, the pole sitter set a new track recored for the TAMS cars with his muffler system on.

Nick Holt

Archived