Best driver from Longhorn Speedway?

WildRacer5

ok, I'll take this one from the SAS page, who was the best driver to come from Longhorn Speedway.

david umshied,waldo harper,glen schwobe,danny stewart,calvin cantwell,bobby joe new,most exciting to watch(biased)terry james...

i forgot my grandad'junior medlock'...never had the fastest car but he'd drive the wheels off it...and it seemed like he always had atleast 20 yrs. on the guys he was running against...slick,scotty garret,leroy&terry brooks,the crudimskys,reithmyer,kelly ......

Jack Whited put on several good shows back in the day.

As did Fireball Bill Burns. Anyone remember the night he rolled it down the front straight end over end? He got out of the car okay - but his wife/girlfriend passed out in the grandstands over by the turn one exit, fell through the bleachers and Llew and Vicki had to leave Bill on the track to go help her back up.

Dwayne Daugherty used to drive the wheels off anything he drove.

I'm sure you guys are looking for drivers who went on to achieve fame and fortune elsewhere - but for my money - I've always liked the guys who consistently put on good shows week after week at home to give their home town fans something to enjoy.

I hate to use the word "best driver" because there were many excellent drivers that ran Longhorn, but If I was voting on just ONE I will have to say Glenn Schwabe. He has been a great friend, a wonderful mentor and consultant to my racing.

Casey Smith

Archived