SAS all-time greats

NickHolt

It's alfully hard to pin down the "greatest driver" with all the variations in cars they've run there. But I thought of a few that stood out in my mind--

Track opening to early 80's--

In the late models, Fryar in anything, Larry Schild in Rush Johnson's car, Tommy Davis, especially the year he put his Prototype engine in a camaro Waldo Harper bought from Rusty Wallace. Rick Rapp--- I have nothing against Terry Labonte, and Slick Yoemans is a friend, but Rapp may be the best driver from Corpus to run Late Models at San Antonio. Usually had sub-par equipment, but made the most of it. Rapp is a brilliant chassis man, also.

Limiteds/Sportsman---Danny Stewart in James Lothringer's #22. Steve Klestinec in his #81 camaro. Robin McCall needs to be mentioned. She ran great despite some of her competitor's efforts.

Most of 80's---in the late models, George Hagy, John Kelly, Hubert Bean, Ervin Breiten. Limiteds/hobbies--- Jerry Grant in Lee Machen's chevelle, Gary Chappel, Larry Bendele, Kenny Hurley.

90's to now --- Jason Oates, Donny Horelka, Larry and Brandon Bendele, and right now Joe Aramendia is as quick as anyone in S.A.

TIDA Late Models---Kelly, hands down, followed by Jay Watson, Tommy Grimes and Slick Yoemans.

ROMCO--- Greg and Chris Davidson, Brandon Bendele.

Drivers to watch at San Antonio--- Justin Oates in Sportsman, Eddy Wallace in ROMCO, James Cole and Jesse Salazar in NASCAR late-models, Beau Bukowski (sp) in TSRS.

There are several names over the years that escape me right this moment.

You know someone who hasn't been metioned besides for the win list... He held the track record at SAS until they repaved it, with a V-6... always good when the motors would stay together...anyone know who im talkin about??

Keith Riethmeyer... but no matter who you think is the greatest or what not, there has always been good racing at SAS!!!

Maybe I read the original question with a little different slant than some(not all) of the posts. If the question is good drivers to come out of HiWay16/SAS, then that implies to me someone who started and/or spent most of their early seasons at that track and then may/may not have went on to other tracks series. While I'll always believe Freddy was one of the best drivers to ever climb in a race car, he had won most of his 700+ features before ever driving thru the back gate off HiWay 16. Texas Terry is one of the most talented but we only really got to witness that for one magical season. There are several others listed in other posts that were extremely talented, great race car drivers, but came from other locales where they really started their success.

For my money, the factors are winning(at each level) and a long tenure of success. My votes would be for Larry Bendele and Jason Oates. Wins(multiple times) in every division they have raced in at SAS over many years. And some success when they have ventured out of their home track. And improved results from those they have helped get started in racing over the years. And now, we see that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, with the success/skills/savvy they have imparted on their sons.

Honorable mentions....Beaver Stelzig, Ervin Breiten, and Eddie Bierschwale.

Archived