Racing at the next level

tqj3

I've talked to a number of racers lately, but I can't get a sense of anyone other than Hellmund, Smith, Bendele, C. Davidson, Richardson and Naumann who are trying to make it outside the state; that is, race in a series above ROMCO and try to get to ARCA, CTS, Busch, or Nextel Cup. Is that the full count, or are some of the other young guys (and girls) looking to "turn pro" at some point?

We have no trouble keeping track of the would-be football heroes and so on, but in racing, it's a little harder to tell the players from the "players," as it were.

TQ,

In order to move up you need the money to move up. The reason you aren't hearing much out of these guys is because all the money they have they spend on their racecars. Why not offer your PR services for free to a team or two with young drivers (Tuffy and Bradley) who have the potential to make it big. It would definatly make an impact and maybe you can make a 2:1 deal so when they do make it big they pay you double what you normally would have gotten. Just an idea.

Jason-

I have an even better idea. Why don't the chassis builders and the engine builders back these guys, and not charge anything until the drivers make the big time?

Another thought is a very simple one: if you are trying to make it to a higher level, and you "don't have the money" to promote yourself, your team and your sponsors, drop back and race at a level that allows you to run competitively and promote.

Most drivers "don't have the money" because they are racing a late model touring series when they should be at their local track, racing and promoting; or because they are racing a local late model instead of racing a street stock and promoting.

My question was really addressed to see how many local drivers even expect to make it at a higher level. Not only do relatively few have the talent to try for a higher level, many simply aren't interested. They prefer to race street stock, for example, because it's close to home and the competition is great. There's nothing wrong with that. At its heart, racing should be fun. My guess is that fewer than five per cent or so of the drivers even want to move beyond their local track, or tracks. (Some areas of the country do run regional traveling series for street stock, for instance.) I was just trying to get an idea.

As for why I don't back these guys for nothing, it's because my wife, kids and landlord aren't willing to wait for me to get paid. It's tough enough now.

Just a question TQ, so what your saying is if you dont have the money to promote yourself or sponsors, or your team, and you have just enough money to run a succesful race team at a higher level tha you shouldnt and you should go back to racing at a local level? So people like Bobby Gill who races with the Hooters Cup has just enough money to go race and races off the earnings he makes from the race before should go back to racing late models or something less expensive so he can promote his team and himself(note I did not say sponsor cause the last race I saw him running the car was pretty blank). Yes he has been running Hooters cup for a while but he was running for another gentleman who left to drive for someone else and that deal fell through. So he went to running on his own dime. I heard him say the other night he had to finish high so he could pay for sending his motor off and have it gone through. You just have to remember TQ some people can afford to race in the series they are running its just they would rather spend the money on making there car better and last longer than spending money on a publicist. And you also have to think that some people are good talkers and can do the same thing that you do while owning a raceteam and racing it suffieciently.

Just wondering, what do you charge for your work TQ? And what will i bet getting for that money. I dont think i have ever seen where you have offered your services on here. I always see you around but i have never seen where i could reach you and get this info.

Thanks

J.C

Josh-

I'm not saying you should do anything, or that Bobby Gill should do anything. But if you want to make it at a higher level in racing, you have to have money from somewhere. Unless you have a famous name, or your family is rich, you will have to do it by attracting sponsors to get to the higher level. You have a better chance of getting sponsorship if you make yourself better known.

Look at the guys who have made it, or are close to making it. They had to win races, but winning races by itself won't get them there, in part because many potential sponsors won't hear about it. At the top levels in most of racing, probably half or more of the teams are getting sponsorship money through the driver. You want to drive for us, bring a budget. They're not looking for the best driver, they're looking for the best driver with money. Didn't I read something about Buckshot Jones coming back? Tell me that's about talent...

If you're lucky enough to have a famous name, great. If Dad is Daddy Bigbucks, great. But, if not, how are you going to get there? Maybe thinking about promotion as an investment in your career, in the same way that having the best racing equipment you can afford is an investment in your career, could pay off. That means racing at the highest level you can afford while also promoting yourself, not just racing at the highest level you can afford.

It means setting aside a portion of any money you get from sponsors (ten percent? 20 percent?) and using it to promote your existing sponsors and in searching for new sponsors.

It means understanding what sponsors are looking for, and what's important to them.

(Here's a tip: sponsors don't care how much your car costs, or how much you spend on racing. They aren't paying for your racing stable, they are paying for what you can do for them, and it's up to you to show them what you can do and why it's valuable to them.)

Can some drivers promote themselves better than others? Sure, just as some are better drivers than others. It's just another talent. Does Leilani Munter have some contacts in the entertainment field and in the PR field that you lack? Heck, yes, and she's using the heck out of them, for which, more power to her.

She knows how the game is played. I'm just trying to point the rules of the game out to Texas racers, but I didn't make the rules.

JC-

Catch me at the track, or send a PM through TSZ. I'll be glad to talk to you.

Well I can say it this way yes I would like to run on the big levels, who wouldnt? But I'll say one thing I would rather make it to the big levels because of my talent not because of my sponsor. Yeah if I had a sponsor that said we're wanting to start running ARCA or something like that and I didnt feel I was ready for it I wouldnt move for two reasons. A: I wouldnt be looked at like a joke for moving up and then just not be ready for it kinda like the way you are talking about Buckshot. B: I wouldnt want to waste my sponsors money on my mistakes and wouldnt want to waste their time.

Archived