New Fans?

Rookie49

Starting to look like its all these new fans that are causing all the problems. I know there seems to be a correlation between the new popularity and the number of drunks throwing ice chests and beer bottles. I don't know if its because of the new followers of the young guys that think they're at a rave or if its because they think it really is Neck-car and thats how rednecks act? What do you think?

I think the NASCAR "youth movement" factor has a little to do with it.

I remember in the mid-80's when a fan threw a can on the track under green in front of the field, I believe at Talladega. Phil Parsons cut a tire and suffered a tremendous crash.

A**holes are A**holes, no matter their age, and more of them are flocking to NASCAR. They also think it's great when guys like Harvick and Kenseth do what they did today under caution.

These same type jerks also burn cars and loot stores when their ball team wins, or their party is broken up by the police at 3 AM, and so on.

I do believe it is more common than in the old days.

Guest The_Greek
I think the NASCAR "youth movement" factor has a little to do with it.

I remember in the mid-80's when a fan threw a can on the track under green in front of the field, I believe at Talladega. Phil Parsons cut a tire and suffered a tremendous crash.

A**holes are A**holes, no matter their age, and more of them are flocking to NASCAR. They also think it's great when guys like Harvick and Kenseth do what they did today under caution.

These same type jerks also burn cars and loot stores when their ball team wins, or their party is broken up by the police at 3 AM, and so on.

I do believe it is more common than in the old days.

i disagree Tom, im from the old era, ive seen it too many times when a driver takes out another driver, the car that was originally took has come back around and retaliated. its a part of racing, its easy lounging back on your sofa and saying he shouldnt have done that, but if u were in the drivers seat its a little different. they're alot of emotions during a hard fought race. frankly i bet most of u get a charge out of it too. personally if i had attended Dega or todays Pocono race and had to sit there and watch them go 5 laps under yellow to the finish i wouldve been pissed also. it costs alot of money to go to these NASCAR races (it cost me about a 1,000 dollars when i went to this years Texas race) i doubt i wouldve thrown anything but i wouldve been pissed to see it unfold like that. whats worst is they couldve stopped the race, and then did a green, white, checkered finish with no problem at all.

Greek,

The original post was about trash throwing fans. That is what I think is more common these days.

I agree with ya, there has always been retaliatory incidents between drivers. Drivers I have helped in the past have both given and received, and either way I had to fix the damage later. Has always been there, and will continue.

But I think a larger percentage of fans today like seeing that crap more than the racing itself. Like me, You have heard of the fans who came to a race to see the crashes. Now they seem to want to see boxing matches with 3400 pound cars.

I'm not talking every fan out there, just a certain percentage who follow racing for the wrong reasons.

i personally thought the best part of todays race was the last 5 laps...nascar should pay them instead of fining them for bringing back the thousands of fans they've been loosing on their own(race ending under yellow-bad scoring under caution???!!!).come on can any one not tell me what the best part of the 79' daytona 500 was...how much did allison & yarbarough get fined?well i gotta go now there's an ol'lady that needs thrown into on coming traffic.i just wish there were some good speed shops close by that i could loot,gotta get there on foot because i burned my car .....

First my point had to do with dumba** fans not drivers. Thanks for those whp pointed that out. There is no excuse for this new fan mentality that I paid my money I can be as big an a** as I want. No you can't. You pay your taxes but you still have to follow the law. As for all this pissing and whining about races ending under yellow. Geesh what part of the rules don't people understand. If you have a condition that warrants it you throw a yellow and count the laps. If it happens at lap 2 or 200 its still a yellow flag lap and it still counts. I think I have a bigger problem with them throwing reds that stop the race for the specific purpose of getting a green flag ending. If I am leading and they stop the race just because brian vickers can't stay out of a wall or Robbie Gordon can't stay out ofeverybody else, that is unfair. I was leading when the conditions called for a yellow flag and now you are changing the rules. This is a case where the rules are deciding the race not the racers. My $0.02 worth.

Archived