Rusty Wallace breaks Nascar speed record

sfrebel

courtesy of Nascar.com:

Rusty Wallace hit 228 mph in a private test at Talladega Superspeedway, running without a restrictor plate on the engine of his No. 2 Dodge.

"We hit 228 (mph) at the end of the straightaway and averaged 221 (mph) for that overall lap segment," Wallace said Wednesday after the test, for NASCAR and Racing Radios at the 2.66-mile Alabama track.

"We'd all been wondering what it would feel like to run at Talladega again without the (restrictor) plates and now I know. I'll bet we could be running speeds up to 235 (mph) without the plates if we spent time doing some tweaking.

"But I'll tell you this: There's no way we could be out there racing at those speeds," Wallace offered. "It was neat to be out there running that fast by myself, but it would be insane to think we could have a pack of cars out there doing that."

Wallace's speed far exceeded the official track qualifying

record of 212.809 mph (44.998 seconds), set by Bill Elliott on April 30, 1987.

"They were timing lap segments and straightaway speeds and Rusty's fastest lap had him running an average 221 mph in that segment and 228 mph at the end of the straightaway," said crew chief Larry

Carter, who flew to Talladega with Wallace after testing at Sonoma, Calif., on Tuesday.

"The overall lap time was a 44.27 (seconds, or 216.309 mph) and that beat Elliott's old record by more than seven-tenths (of a second).

"It was some sight to see, I'll tell you that."

Guest The_Greek
courtesy of Nascar.com:

Rusty Wallace hit 228 mph in a private test at Talladega Superspeedway, running without a restrictor plate on the engine of his No. 2 Dodge.

"We hit 228 (mph) at the end of the straightaway and averaged 221 (mph) for that overall lap segment," Wallace said Wednesday after the test, for NASCAR and Racing Radios at the 2.66-mile Alabama track.

"We'd all been wondering what it would feel like to run at Talladega again without the (restrictor) plates and now I know. I'll bet we could be running speeds up to 235 (mph) without the plates if we spent time doing some tweaking.

"But I'll tell you this: There's no way we could be out there racing at those speeds," Wallace offered. "It was neat to be out there running that fast by myself, but it would be insane to think we could have a pack of cars out there doing that."

Wallace's speed far exceeded the official track qualifying

record of 212.809 mph (44.998 seconds), set by Bill Elliott on April 30, 1987.

"They were timing lap segments and straightaway speeds and Rusty's fastest lap had him running an average 221 mph in that segment and 228 mph at the end of the straightaway," said crew chief Larry

Carter, who flew to Talladega with Wallace after testing at Sonoma, Calif., on Tuesday.

"The overall lap time was a 44.27 (seconds, or 216.309 mph) and that beat Elliott's old record by more than seven-tenths (of a second).

"It was some sight to see, I'll tell you that."

if u ask me thats a cheap record, they couldve selected any one driver to do that test, and instantly he would be the record holder, i will still consider Bill Elliott the fast speed cause he did at a time when everyone else timed in. Nascar shouldve contacted Bill Elliott to do the test not Krusty Rusty!!

does it exactly say that it was a restrictor plate engine without a plate or an "atlanta" engine unrestricted?

Im pretty sure it wasnt a restrictor plate motor that he ran. Any of the good motors (designed specifically for restrictor plates) will suffer internal damage if you run them with out a restictor plate.

if u ask me thats a cheap record, they couldve selected any one driver to do that test, and instantly he would be the record holder, i will still consider Bill Elliott the fast speed cause he did at a time when everyone else timed in. Nascar shouldve contacted Bill Elliott to do the test not Krusty Rusty!!

It looks as though that test was done for R & D for NASCAR and Racing Radios, not a team test. You call that a cheap record???? No where did it say it was a record. They just compared it to Elliott's record, since it was the fastest "recorded" time.

further more elliott raced and that speed!rusty needs to go back to his yaught of the italian coast,and quit trying these gimigs to get attention for his all but dried up carrer......

the opinion mentioned here is that of my own and does not reflect the opinions of this site ,it's owners & operators,or it's afilliated sponsors......

Guest The_Greek
It looks as though that test was done for R & D for NASCAR and Racing Radios, not a team test. You call that a cheap record???? No where did it say it was a record. They just compared it to Elliott's record, since it was the fastest "recorded" time.

just read the title of this thread, and you will see why i said it was a cheap record.

That's not reasonable to say that it is a cheap record. First its not a record , regardless of what the post title says. Every driver out there has the right to rent the track and run whatever engine they want. Its been well known for a long time that speeds of 235-240 were very realistic for non-restrictor cars at Talladega. Just because Awesome bill didn't do it doesn't minimize his 212 record or make Wallace's "recorded" time any slower. Also at the time of the record, they didn't race at 212 they qualified at 212 and Rusty was out there with Elliot running the same race speeds. 205 maybe. If you really want to say a record or speed was impressive why don't you go back to Bobby Isaac, David Pearson and Buddy Baker racing at 200 with tires that probably would be considered a lesser tire than the 8" slicks run in charger/street stock class cars.

I didn't know Rusty still had it in him. I have been curious about the speeds that may be possible with an unrestricted motor. Glad to see somebody take the time and money to do the testing. Now let's see a winged sprint car at San Antonio. LOL

SVCMNGR1,

Now let's see a winged sprint car at San Antonio. LOL

They ran at SAS a few years ago a few times as special shows. Can't remember what their lap times were though.

The big danger with those cars on a paved track is the danger that they will get bouncing on their nose/tails and land in the grandstands.

Nick Holt

in the mid-late 80's i saw winged sprints at S.A....don't recall the lap times,just the total ah feeling that it seemed most people were in...

:D The times for the super sprints,which were carburated was in the 18 second range,and that was with most running SA late model takeoffs at the time,put some real rubber on the right rear and they would have been even faster.

Archived