Mid West Motor Mites

swift014

Anybody on here ever run at the facility outside of Chicago called the Mid West Motor Mites? I understand it was "across the street" from Raceway Park. The photo in my profile is of a car that arn there. Anyone recognize it? If so insight on either track or car would be appreciated.

Mark

• 7 months later...
Anybody on here ever run at the facility outside of Chicago called the Mid West Motor Mites? I understand it was "across the street" from Raceway Park. The photo in my profile is of a car that arn there. Anyone recognize it? If so insight on either track or car would be appreciated.

Mark

Mark, I was doing some internet surfing when I came across your post. My brother and I both raced with the Midwest Motor Mite Racing Association in 1958 thru approx 1962. We raced quarter and half-midgets. I actually began practicing when I was only 6 years old. Had to sit on a telephone book, to see over the steering wheel, and had a block of wood on the gas pedal, so I could reach it. I have photos of us "spraying some clay" on the curves, back in the day.

And yes, the track was actually caddy-corner from the famous Raceway Park, where the some famous racers, like Tony Bentenhausen and Danny Kladis ran at one time. Some of the famous big-name racers had kids in our club. A lot of the people involved with Raceway Park spent time at our track. Bud Norman, photographer at Raceway, was always shooting photos for our parents. I recall that one of the official flagmen at Raceway named "Smokey" even came over and did our flagging. If you email me a larger photo of your avatar, I might be able to recognize it. I have not been able to find very much on the internet about our old club. We had a pretty large membership, so I figured there would be some stuff out there, but no go.

It's funny though. I went to a 25 year school reunion, a long time ago, and couldn't believe how many of my old friends and neighbors asked about the midgets, and if I kept them. People I didn't even know, asked about them. Wish I did keep them. The picture I uploaded here is actually taken in Dekalb, Illinois in summer of 1958, of me driving my brother's half midget. I am not yet 6 years old in this photo. Mom was not happy with dad that day. Regards. -Andypost-13492-1311129854.jpg

Hi Andy! Thanks for finding my post out here on the Web! I've spoken to a couple of people about the Midwest Motor Mites in my travels and I seem to recall I ended p catching up with a guy who's dad had started it all- the MWMM club that is. I cant recall his name right off but I probably have it with my notes some where. I'm at work at the moment but I'd really like to chat withyou further on this. It's great to meet someone who was actually there runn'in in the clay and throw'in the dirt! Thats one fine look'in machine in your photo. Is that a Racecraft car? I finished the restopration on the car I've had and when I get a chance I'll send along some before and after shots of it.

Great hearing from you Andy!!

Regards,

Mark

Hi Andy! Thanks for finding my post out here on the Web! I've spoken to a couple of people about the Midwest Motor Mites in my travels and I seem to recall I ended p catching up with a guy who's dad had started it all- the MWMM club that is. I cant recall his name right off but I probably have it with my notes some where. I'm at work at the moment but I'd really like to chat withyou further on this. It's great to meet someone who was actually there runn'in in the clay and throw'in the dirt! Thats one fine look'in machine in your photo. Is that a Racecraft car? I finished the restopration on the car I've had and when I get a chance I'll send along some before and after shots of it.

Great hearing from you Andy!!

Regards,

Mark

Mark, I will have to check with my brother, but I am pretty sure his car was a Kurtis Kraft. I know that my dad purchased the car as a kit, and built it from the ground up. Our friends, who sold the kit to us, always laughed and called it the "Bucket of Bolts". It was a great car, though. My eventual car was a Cherokee Quarter Midget. I'm in the process of transferring some slides to digital, and will have more photos later. -Andy

Hi Andy!!

The car I just finished restoring, which is one and the same as the car in my profile is a Cherokee!

I will definatly have to get some photo's sent to you. I think you'd be surprised to see how the drivetrain was engineered to include a drum brabe on th erear axle and clutch drive vs. the direct drive system. If what you had there was a Kurtis, that would be really a fine machine to have today allright. I imagine not too many originals of those floating around. Anyway, I'll get back with some pics when I can.

Good chatting

Mark

Mark, I will have to check with my brother, but I am pretty sure his car was a Kurtis Kraft. I know that my dad purchased the car as a kit, and built it from the ground up. Our friends, who sold the kit to us, always laughed and called it the "Bucket of Bolts". It was a great car, though. My eventual car was a Cherokee Quarter Midget. I'm in the process of transferring some slides to digital, and will have more photos later. -Andy

Archived