Casey Smith is not happy

BamaChief

This whole, move somebody to pass 'em, is spreading like a damn plague. We started the derby in 27th, several years ago, and went on to win without a scratch on the car. And that was against more guys who knew how to use the bumper (effectively). Jmo, but it seems to just prove that moveing someone out of the way shows you dont have the talent to compete on a professional level. Sorry to hear about Casey, reading the recap, seems like patients was paying off.

I wonder if the shoe had been on the other foot (the Smith and Long incident) what the outcome would have been. The Stremme and Smith deal sounds like two frustrated racers that got wrecked and took it out on each other.

If the shoe was on the other foot Casey would have drove around Jo with fresh tires - And Stremme is such a class act to punch a racer in his car! Oh were you there racing?

I respect and understand this is a dangerous sport. But it does seem asphalt short-track racing has become more of a wrecking game, instead of a sport of talented drivers. Maybe the video games and virtual reality has transformed our sport into what we have today. I fear one of these times, an overly aggressive driver is going to take out a 14 or 15 year old and there ends up being a dead kid behind the wheel. Would it be worth it, for that position on the track or for our fan's entertainment? As bad as that would be, our wonderful government/media would have to step in and save the children from racing. Government regulations, could shut our sport down. (If fuel shortages or the EPA doesn't do it first.) Certainly not all, but a good number of the younger drivers and some bone-headed older drivers need learn to respect life more. There's a big difference between intentional and unintentional contact. Clean it up, or it could ruin it for everyone.

20 years ago the tracks were the same - the cars were basicaly the same but contact did not necessaril send them spinning and wrecking. I recall front and rears being shortened by inches just during the heats and there was no problem.

What is the diff? Simply put the edge has narrowed. It's now a MUCH finer line as speeds have increased due to knowledge base increases - placing more of the pack on the ragged edge. So now what used to be a nudge that only served to let another driver know you are there is now enough to send him past the point of no return and into a wreck. nerfing used to be just a mark on the other car - now its a trip to the wall. Don't know what the answer is.

And to further compound the problem society itself has changed. What used to be common respect and courtesy is now viewed as weakness and weaknesses are exploited.

im waiting for nick to say something about all of this bashing.on this subject.

Casey Smith's PR team folks put out a press release that was highly critical of two national level competitors and I posted that release in the Announcements section along with the other releases.

That particular press release has posted on numerous sites around the internet and has stirred up quite a bit of controversy wherever it is posted. So far, anyway, the level of bashing here on Lone Star Speedzone has been relatively mild compared to some.

If the folks involved in this controversy were local Texas racers, rather than national-level racers, the press release would never have been posted here. You may have noticed that I am more lax about editing or deleting comments about upper tier drivers and teams - Kyle Busch and Jeff Gordon are two who come immediately to mind.

To put your mind at ease, I have indeed removed at least two posts in this thread that went a step or two beyond any semblance of good taste.

Nick

I respect and understand this is a dangerous sport. But it does seem asphalt short-track racing has become more of a wrecking game, instead of a sport of talented drivers. Maybe the video games and virtual reality has transformed our sport into what we have today. I fear one of these times, an overly aggressive driver is going to take out a 14 or 15 year old and there ends up being a dead kid behind the wheel. Would it be worth it, for that position on the track or for our fan's entertainment? As bad as that would be, our wonderful government/media would have to step in and save the children from racing. Government regulations, could shut our sport down. (If fuel shortages or the EPA doesn't do it first.) Certainly not all, but a good number of the younger drivers and some bone-headed older drivers need learn to respect life more.

cough couugh john bolen

Unfortunely - short track racing doesn't have the camera's for the interviews after the incident; Where drivers can openly express their opinion (like Tony Sterwart, Kyle Bush, Jeff Gordon) etc. It has become a golden rule in short track racing you can not go over to the other guys pits and settle it like they could in the day - (Robert Hamke and Dickie Anderson War, Mike Garvey and Freddy Query War - Slick Yoman was in plenty etc.) so basically if you want to get it out there you have no other choice but thru a press release. On the other site Mike Garvey is very vocal and upset with our Texas Ryan Lawler - speed51 is constantly stiring the pot writing their on story - wheather it is Colt and Augie or whoever - Casey wanted to tell his side - at any point Stremme can write a release and repute any comment Casey made - instead he has choosen to take it to facebook and make threats - What a class act

It was great seeing all the Texas race fans in Florida - And the Smith's send our warmest wishes for a safe and happy holiday - Merry Christmas!

20 years ago the tracks were the same - the cars were basicaly the same but contact did not necessaril send them spinning and wrecking. I recall front and rears being shortened by inches just during the heats and there was no problem.

What is the diff? Simply put the edge has narrowed. It's now a MUCH finer line as speeds have increased due to knowledge base increases - placing more of the pack on the ragged edge. ...........

I guess I missed all that back in the day when we ran steel bodied, 3500lb cars with big blocks and 15" tires and ran a second faster per lap than we run today. I guess that really wasn't on the edge where a tap could send you into the wall.

What is the diff? Simply put the edge has narrowed. It's now a MUCH finer line as speeds have increased due to knowledge base increases - placing more of the pack on the ragged edge. ...........

I guess I missed all that back in the day when we ran steel bodied, 3500lb cars with big blocks and 15" tires and ran a second faster per lap than we run today. I guess that really wasn't on the edge where a tap could send you into the wall.

I didn't miss it - including the leaf spring mounted in the rear fenders to keep the fenders outside of the tire during all the banging. Those big heavy sleds just were more PLANTED. They were faster - two drag races with a slower left turn between em! Over the years the focus has gone more to apex speed - rightfully so. Nowadays a slight tap at the apex unsettles em so bad they go around. Don't get me wrong - they still wrecked. Just seems that nowadays - if the same hammering occured that used to be "just racing"- it just goes real bad real fast.

I remember all through the 70's when we ran a steel camaro with a 427 having to straighten and repaint those steel bodies - at least two quarters and a door - sometimes the whole car - every single week. Doughnuts all over the thing. Now it just seems like one little doughnut is enough to turn em around.

Of course I also used to have to use sticks and rocks as toys and walk to school barefoot in the snow uphill both ways..... :lol:

I WAS at the derby and I can tell you everyone sitting next to me saw Johanna punt Casey and wreck Landon - It is the Derby and she was the lucky dog that happen to have 10 lap tires where the 3 cars in front were on 50 lap tires. Eddie Mercer left his last set of tires sitting in the pits last year thinking a yellow was going to happen with 10 to go - it didn't and he was the sitting duck. However had it not been the rule to run the last 5 consecutive laps under green - the finish would have made for a much better race - because it was a blanket covering Donnie, Landon and Casey - anyone of them could have taken the trophy. I am not impressed that a girl won with brand new tires and took out 2 of the front runners to do it. I wish they would make it a rule no tires with 50 or less to go - that would be a finish!

if you got to youtube and punch in snowball derby 2010 there is two videos of the last few laps one is from turn one and the other is from the front stretch but if you watch those you can see her drive in about 4 car lengths to far and knock casey out of the way and then watch her do it to Landon and its not like casey was a groove up and came down he was on the bottom by the line and she went a lot farther in than everyone else then the same thing with landon. If she was that much faster she should of went to the outside and couldve past those cars a lot easier then we wouldnt be having this discussion because these cars wouldnt of got torn up.

Archived