are u racing your L M?

WildRacer5

look who's talking...if you heed your own advice you might have made the t.m.s. race....i took off, work drove 250 miles to root you on,just to hear before the race started that you would'nt be running...you're letting me down little buddy....

See and i felt that i was a good racecar driver becuase i felt the car loose power when my head came off the back of the seat and when i looked atthe gauge the oil pressure was at 20 and the little red light was coming on right as i hit the switch and kicked it into neutral. So i think i can say thats better than most people atleast i had the common sense enough to shut it off and maybe i will be able to repair this one and continue at a later date.

Has anyone even thought possibly that this may be a test for the TOPA guys to see if a set a rules could possibly be formulated combining all of the equipment available in the state at this level. If it is it is a great start. Maybe a TOPA touring series with all tracks involved combining their sponsors and resources. Hmmmm. Good way to keep things interesting at the different tracks each week.

Buy the way JP the tube clips on the SAS latemodels are 2x4 rectangular tubing(Nascar mandated) and all measurements for pickup points and steering box (not rack and pinion) location are basically Camaro(Nascar mandated). The LeftHander clips that most of the guys are running in TSRS are greatly lightned and I bet they are probably only about maybe 20 lbs difference at most. As for the coil overs at 3100lbs the unsprung weight is not as crucial as lets say a Romco style car. the 3" of wheelbase on a 1/2 mile track negligible. Also the SAS cars are a true perimeter car, no offset front clips, no different length a-arms. The interior of these cars are sheetmetal -no aluminum. Full 4 door bars on both sides (extra long)compared to the LeftHanders. Full 3x4 frame rails on both sides.

The mini clutch may help off the corner a little bit, but with the extra 40 hp the big flywheel is probably about the same off corner.

the r&d was done???the rules are set...there's alot more than 20#'s difference between an oem camaro clip and 2x4 tubed front clip...bigger flywheel is more rotating weight....everybody just race and let's see where it leads us.

Ok before I start let me set the record straight. I don't want anyone to take what I consider to be a useful and productive discussion about rules as sour grapes or complaining. It really got under my skin when all that went on about the mods running in Houston. In that spirit about a purely theoretical NASCAR lms vs. a stock stub car I submit:

A precise tube front clip built in a jig that weighs 20 - 30 lbs less than a stock Camaro frame which has been fatigued by 150,000 miles of grocery getting before it was ever welded onto the front of a race car is definately an advantage. Basically Camaro isn't a Camaro.

You overlook the spring placement advantage of coil-overs which requires a reduced spring rate to support the car. Unsprung weight is a big deal at any total weight as is controlling the car with less rate.

I would also disagree with "the 3" of wheelbase on a 1/2 mile track negligible." Driving SAS correctly requires that a car rotate in the center quicker than any other track I have personally driven. The quicker you rotate the car the quicker you're going back down the hill in a straight line. I'd bet it's worth a tenth but I would be anxious to hear what Joe has to say about it, he's recently driven both.

Alot, if not most of the TSRS cars are true perimeter cars as well. In fact, my car (Jay correct me if I am wrong) was originally built to conform to NASCAR rules when they required a Camaro clip (yup it's old). In fact, the last six TSRS races have been won by true perimeter cars with 4 door bars on both sides. Bottom line is that an off-set car really only has the advantage of about 10-15 lbs of weight up high (halo, door bars and roof) over a perimter car at 3100 lbs.

Steel interiors do weigh 10-15 lbs. more than aluminum but TSRS rules require the entire cockpit be steel. Not sure how many cars actually conform to this but ours definately does.

Finally lets talk about mini clutches and horsepower. The real difference between TSRS and LMS motors is probably somewhere closer to 10-20 hp and in alot of instances I think you'd be surprised just how close they are. Cutting 4 cc off a set of bow ties and bolting on a better intake doesn't give you 40 hp. Knocking 20 lbs. off the back of the crank is be huge though.

All that said I think Joe and a couple of other stock stub cars really did their homework and caught some of the regulars with their pants down. It's an easy trap to fall into as a weekly racer and I've been there myself. You do well against the same guys every week and and there isn't alot of incentive to think outside the box. Someone with a new car shows up and starts taking home the money and everyone gets busy.

Best of luck to everyone racing this weekend and I anxiously await the results so I can put my paper theories to the test. jp

First, let me say that Joe Aramendia and his crew have done their homework.

Joe won 3 out of 3 races.

Race #1

James Cole had the race won with a big lead until he ran out of gas with 5 laps to go.

Race #2

James Cole and Larry Bendele ran away from Joe in the early stages of the race, but Joe had the stronger car for the last 15 laps of the race. This race ran all 40 laps green.

Race #3

Cole was leading, Bendele second, Joe third. Bendele was working on Cole for the lead. While doing so, Joe anticipated the action ahead, got a better run coming out of 4, and made it 3 abreast going into turn 1. Joe was able to make the double pass. Hell of a move on Joe's part. Next lap Bendele passed Cole and run down Joe. Bendele was better in turn entry and the middle. Joe was good off the corner and down the straight. Overall, both were same lap time. If Bendele had been in front, I don't think Joe could have passed him. But Joe was in front and held the lead for the win.

We'll see what happens this weekend.

Jp,

Yes, It was NASCAR LMS legal in a period of time that you had to have an oem clip. That's why it had a full steel interior. There's no reason not to go with a fab clip today(in LMS) but the hot secret setup back in the oem days was an AMC clip from an AMX or Javelin. Good geometry and significantly lighter.

Jay

The purse amount is on the San Antonio Speedway website and has a total purse of $13,000 but here is the breakdown.

1 $3000.00

2 $1500.00

3 $750.00

4 $500.00

5 $400.00

6 $350.00

7 $300.00

8 $250.00

9 $200.00

10 $175.00

11 $150.00

12 $125.00

13-36 $100.00

Heres the link for entry form/fees/purse payout, etc. in word format

http://www.sanantoniospeedway.com/125Texas...asChallenge.doc

Would like to say I think what the track owners and racers that are participating in this adventure is doing is a great thing and in my opinion a must for short track racing. Just remember Rome was not built in a day! Keep up the work.

Lloyd

JP, Larry,Joe, and others ,

I have driven the TSRS#74 car with 10" tires and my stock clip big spring NASCAR lm and I can say the TSRS car has more horspower.The TSRS cars have better intake and smaller cc heads than the NSASCAR lm cars do and as far as the 57% left side rule i cannot get 57% ls on my car so it is no advantage to me. So anyone thats says the TSRS and NASCAR LM engines are equal dosent know. I do because I have been in both this season.

no one ever said the engines were equal..it was a question of one car having more in one area and the other in another...but the rules are sat...NOTHING IS CHANGING BETWEEN NOW AND SATURDAY..

Archived