are u racing your L M?

WildRacer5

I kinda got this idea from a post on the other thread for the TX challenge. How many LM racers are plan to load up and come in for the big show. Lets try to get an unofficial count to know what to expect and to pick a winner.

OK Jason, I'll take the bait. Why, pray tell are we scared? You calling us scared is kind of funny seeing that you wouldn't even come to the TSRS race in CC. Were YOU scared?

I think not going to the TSRS CC race does not say I am scared. If I was scared I would not have shown at THR. I had some things to do that night that were a little more important than going to see TSRS at CC.

Jason's right, I am scared, scared of what my wife would do if I planned another out of town race on short notice. If I were able to make it I'd have to wonder about the rules though. Definately doesn't put the stock stub cars on a level playing field. Given a choice of weapons I'd be real tempted to think about an HMP Late Model. jp

JP, During the one race I attended that had two TSRS cars running with the locals, both did quite well. Of course Brandon could probably wheel a tricycle around SAS in record time, but Todd McLemore also did quite well until he experienced problems.

I could always call your wife and say I was a sick friend!? Everyone knows how 'sick' I am! :lol::lol::lol:

Looking back at previous threads and results so far TSRS rule based cars have won 3 races and add a couple of seconds in there as well. That is based off the 10" tire @ 3000lb. TSRS cars definately have a shot... I wouldnt be surprised to see 10-15 TSRS rules based cars there...Maybe more when you add the THR regulars to the mix as well...If you get 4-6 Houson LM's and 10 SAS NASCAR LM's could be upwards of 30 cars for that show...You might even get some guys coming out of the woodwork for this race...

Guest texracer

This may not apply to all TSRS cars but the 50 of Joe Aramendia has 2 shows and 2 wins at SAS in the late model class with a TSRS car.10 in tires, 13 in clutch, 3150lbs at start of race and 55% lt side. He got these wins after ( what Joe says ) a few cars spun off his front bumper and he went to the back.Now we all know his car is tuned just for SAS. My point is a TSRS car can run with SAS late models. As for THR limiteds thier rules are like TSRS. With the lesser horsepower HLM the weight break and the lt % being higher they will be a challenge.

We'll have to agree with JP on this one. The rules don't seem to be adjusted adequately for a TSRS car running 8" tires. Not everyone has 10" wheels and tires ready to go to a race like this or want to invest in them for one race. In our opinion, the cars running 10" tires would have an advantage, even with the weight break.

Based on what I ahve read and heard today I might be a little off base. It would seem that given similar motors (within 30 hp and there is that much disparity in a single class) that a 105" car with a fabricated clip, coil overs, a mini clutch and 2% more left side weight would have a distinct advantage over a TSRS/THR. Maybe not, I haven't raced under those conditions but I applaud Mike and SAS for the whole event. It's difficult to let this one get away.....jp

The TSRS car has the advantage of:

a much better intake manifold allowing rpm levels above 7000 with more gear to get higher rear wheel torque.... this is a very significant advantage.....

a venturi-shaped carb spacer......

more track width.......

physical ability to achieve the allowable left-side percentage advantage..... stepped headers beyond a 1-5/8" diameter.......

J-bar panhard allowed.......

reduced fuel cell capacity......

9" Ford rear end vs. weight and mechanical efficiency of a quick change.......

lower roof height.......

adjustable shocks..........

etc. etc.

I'll take the bait...

The TSRS car has the advantage of:

a much better intake manifold allowing rpm levels above 7000 with more gear to get higher rear wheel torque.... this is a very significant advantage.....

No 500 cfm motor can make significant horsepower above 7000 rpm, it gets to fat from the restricted air flow.

a venturi-shaped carb spacer......

some use `em some don't but I already conceded that a typical tsrs car can make 30 maybe even 40 more hp than a sas late model

more track width.......

hadn't considered that, what is the sas lm track width rule?

physical ability to achieve the allowable left-side percentage advantage.....

most tsrs cars are perimeter cars and weigh more than a sas lm. consider big springs, a 50 lb. heavier front clip etc. I've got a perimeter car with 4x4 frame rails and I can get 57% easy.

stepped headers beyond a 1-5/8" diameter.......

up to 1 3/4" which means little or nothing on the dyno

J-bar panhard allowed.......

no discernable advantage, behind the rear end panhard bar cars won as many races as any other style in tsrs last year

reduced fuel cell capacity......

this is an advantage? empty the weight is like 4 lbs. diff. nobody said it's got to be full

9" Ford rear end vs. weight and mechanical efficiency of a quick change.......

less than 5 hp difference at the rear wheels, a quick change has the advantage though for better fine tuning the gear ratio. tsrs wins are split evenly bet. the two

lower roof height.......

good point maybe a slight advantage

adjustable shocks..........

helpful if you're unfamiliar with the track, if you're a home you'd better have built shocks better than what I can adjust to though

All that said I repeat I don't think that a SAS car is t any disadvantage on paper. Certainly not enough to justify an additional 2% left side and a mini clutch both of which are huge. There's been some stock stub cars kicking some tail over there though so I may very well be wrong. jp

JP,

as we have discussed before I race a stock clip big spring latemodel at SAS I have driven a TSRS car earlier this year and i can tell you you guys make more horsepower.the diffrence is in the heads if im not mistaken.they just changed the track width rule at SAS to 65 1/2" they have also allowed us to run diffrent offset weels right and left for the first time in 12 yrs. Step headers hel the torque curve iI dod agree the j-bar is no advantage.iI would still be running my for 9" has they not outlawed them ast SAS in the late model series.The quick changes have more gear seletion but they stilll have moreparts to turn reduceing horespower in a already inferior combonation.the roof heightis a slight advantage.adjustable shocks are an advantage if you know how to ues them.cant build shocks have to be completely sealed non adjustable shocks. JP bring your car ive got some wheels for you if you need them you will have a hp advantage.just like Joe does

Winner

Group: Members

Member No.: 253

i dont see where you guys are upset about the rules for this race ,you should see the race in altus ok. where the arts trucks raced th usst trucks these usst trucks have everything you guys have on you lm and the 10 inch tires the arts trucks are using the 8 inch tirse and the arts truck gave the usst treucks a good running for their money . the lap times in real close to each other and it was a good show

Woo, wait a minute - Jim. The #50 SAS/TSRS car that I drive at SAS has my old late model motor in it with the TSRS manifold and the TSRS clutch, pressure plate and fly wheel. While the intake helps we are carring a lot more weight at the end of our crankshaft. The trick is making your car handle and to keep the momentum up - just like in the SAS late model. Shocks can be built by a professional in SAS late model as long as they are not adjustable. I believe that the 2% more offset is an advantage for the late models. After that, I believe the cars are close. Just my 2 cents, but I would encourage everyone to come to this race to have fun and be competitive. Because that is what racing is truely about and you have to race the race to find out who will win. There is no winner before the race starts. Good luck to all!

Joe Aramendia

Archived