Hwy 16 Raceway/San Antonio, aka San Antonio Speedway

RETrott

During the '80 season, car owner Charlie Kohls and driver T Tommy Tucker took their '68 Mustang Hobby/Street Stock, that had raced in Houston and Shreveport as a NARL Bronco Stock, to Hwy 16/San Antonio and raced in, I believe, the class known as Thunder Stocks. I believe the Thunder Stocks allowed V8s, and although the Houston Bronco/Street Stocks were restricted to L6s, the 6 cyl was competitive. The Mustang was silver, and originally #91, but I recall making a temporary number change using tape. I wonder if anyone has any specifics as to the general rules for that Thunder Stock Car class. As a side note, I believe that same night a Camaro bodied Late Model went over the turn 1 wall. Not sure about the driver, but I believe he was out of Corpus Christi, and the car was previously the Terry LaBonte #44.

JKeys,

Thanks. I knew it was a familiar name, but it just wouldn't come to me while making that post. And, now that you mentioned it, I recall reading about that being the first over the wall trip. That was, I believe, my first time to visit the Hwy 16/San Antonio 1/2 mile speedway. Also, Robin McCall was racing that night, I'm not sure which class, but I'm fairly sure she wasn't competing in the Thunder Stock Cars.

Robin was still in the limited late model class at that time.

Jkeys is correct, Slick went out over the first turn. A couple months later, Pinky Pinkston from Palestine went over in about the same spot.

Eddie Bierschwale holds the record for air time when he went over the wall in turn 3, 129 feet where he pancaked a parked sports car.

Bubba Menard was a close 2nd when he went over in the apex of 1&2. I`ll never forget watching those bright yellow wheels dissappear into the night

No the record would belong to Greg Davidson, after Eddie went over the wall they stopped them from parking by the fence, Greg hit the car parked in the first row and rolled across the car in the second row and landed between the second and 3rd row of cars in 84 or 85 I had to help Vicky Askew over the fence that night. The ambulance the track had did not start right away. Greg told his wife well it looks like we have to buy a new car.

No the record would belong to Greg Davidson, after Eddie went over the wall they stopped them from parking by the fence, Greg hit the car parked in the first row and rolled across the car in the second row and landed between the second and 3rd row of cars in 84 or 85 I had to help Vicky Askew over the fence that night. The ambulance the track had did not start right away. Greg told his wife well it looks like we have to buy a new car.

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuzzzzze me 97 car !

I thought a guy named Levi was the first over the wall in Terry old car? I was in the stands with"Honest Bob" aka Bobby Young.

My favorite over the wall story was Tommy Davis. He went over between one and two. When we all went up to track to go help him, he was gone. He had driven the car over to the back gate.

I thought a guy named Levi was the first over the wall in Terry old car? I was in the stands with"Honest Bob" aka Bobby Young.

Levi was one of the first to really try to get over it, but he didn't quite get there.

Click the following link to see a pic of Levi's car upside down at the bottom of the track.

Link

Scroll down a few postings to see it. post #19, and it was a reply to you from post #18.

Levi's son was on here awhile back about all this, and we believe that was indeed Terry's old car.

That car had quite a legacy at San Antonio; It was the 1977 late model champion with Labonte ( first year of operation), the first car to get upside down with Levi Taylor (1978), the 1979 Late Model Champion with Slick Yoemans, and the first car to actually go over the fence with Slick Yoemans (1980).

Terry Labonte was the '76 Houston/Meyer Spdwy Late Model Champion, driving, I believe, that same Camaro bodied Late Model Stock Car chassis. But, something tells me you are aware of that.

Yep, I knew that, and I have the complete rundown of the points in both Late Model and Broncos for that year. Do you know the Bronco Champion that year?

Terry Labonte was the '76 Houston/Meyer Spdwy Late Model Champion, driving, I believe, that same Camaro bodied Late Model Stock Car chassis. But, something tells me you are aware of that.

Yep, I knew that, and I have the complete rundown of the points in both Late Model and Broncos for that year. Do you know the Bronco Champion that year?

My first guess would be Greg Davidson. Along about that time, the Pontiac OHC L6 was eventually disallowed, but I don't recall exactly when. :unsure:

• 2 months later...
txtom,

:ph34r:

phil cronin won the last late model championship at meyer spdwy i dont think terry ran there long enough to win one

phil cronin won the last late model championship at meyer spdwy i dont think terry ran there long enough to win one

Cronin may have won in the later years; he may have even won in 1977 when Labonte, Schild, and others defected to the new Hwy 16 Raceway in San Antonio.

BUT, but this is out of a 1977 Meyer Speedway program I have:

post-21-1300070095.jpg

Archived