NASCAR pumping JJ as the best driver in NASCAR history?

NickHolt

News - What’s Next For Jimmie Johnson: Greatest Driver…Ever?

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Nov. 29, 2010) – There is no question Jimmie Johnson has built a dynasty with five consecutive NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championships.

So what’s left for the driver of the No. 48 Lowe’s Chevrolet to accomplish? A few scribes have already posed the question: Is Johnson on track to become the best driver in the history of NASCAR?

While only time will tell if Johnson can eventually hold that title, he is certainly on pace to do so.

Johnson has put his name near the top of the two most important lists when discussing “best all-time”: championships and wins. His five titles are just two short of NASCAR Hall of Famers Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt for most all-time. His 53 wins rank 10th all-time, and most likely, he will stand alone in eighth by the end of next season (Rusty Wallace is currently eighth, with 55. Johnson has won three or more races in each of his nine full-time seasons).

Johnson’s pace on a number of other statistics suggest he could one day catch the usual names already included in the “all-time best” debate:

Championships: Johnson needed 327 starts to win his fifth championship. Dale Earnhardt needed 390 and Richard Petty took 655 starts to collect their fifth titles.

Wins: Only three drivers reached 53 wins faster than Johnson, who reached it in 319 races: Jeff Gordon (260 starts), Darrell Waltrip (288) and David Pearson (309).

Two other “win” stats to consider: Johnson has a winning percentage of 16.2%, sixth-best all-time. Those ahead of him are either members, inductees or nominees of the NASCAR Hall of Fame: Herb Thomas (21.1), Tim Flock (20.9), Pearson (18.3), Petty (16.9) and Fred Lorenzen (16.5).

Here is another compelling stat: Johnson has at least five wins in each of the last five seasons. Only three other drivers have accomplished that feat: Petty (10 consecutive seasons with five or more wins), Waltrip (eight) and Gordon (five).

His ability to be at his best during “crunch” time has set Johnson apart. Here are his statistics during the 70 Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup events: 19 wins (second-best is Carl Edwards with eight); 40 top fives (second is Gordon with 27); 54 top 10s (second is Gordon with 45), 3,423 laps led (second is Matt Kenseth with 1,715) and a Driver Rating of 110.1 (second is Gordon with a 98.4).

MOVE CHAD OVER TO ANOTHER TEAM AND WATCH WHAT HAPPENS TO JJ....IF HE COULD GO OUT AND WIN A CHAPIONSHIP IN THREE YEARS THEN ID GIVE HIM THE BEST AWARD ....IS JJ THE GREATEST DRIVER ..NOT CLOSE ....BUT WITH THE TEAM HE HAS ..HE IS THE BEST AT THIS TIME IN WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS ..DENNY SHOT HIMSELF IN THE FOOT ..ALL HE HAD TO DO WAS GET UP FRONT .NOT WRECK HIS CAR AND HE HAD IT WON ......BUT HARVICK HAD EM ALL BEAT MOST OF THE YEAR .AND NO CHASE WE WOULD BE TALKING ABOULT HIM ...ITS SAD THAT TEN RACES DECIDES THE BEST TEAM FOR THE SEASON ... DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THAT 24 DRIVER ..WHATS HIS NAME ....JEFF ......WELL HE HASNT DONE MUCH SENSE RAY LEFT ..EVERYONE WAS SAYING HE WAS THE BEST ......

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THAT 24 DRIVER ..WHATS HIS NAME ....JEFF ......WELL HE HASNT DONE MUCH SENSE RAY LEFT ..EVERYONE WAS SAYING HE WAS THE BEST ......

I do remember the 24. If the chase had not happened he would have won two more championships!! That would make a total of 6. JJ is not the best by far. As most everyone knows take away the chase and he would only have one championship. That does not make him the best in my book. You're right, it is a shame that it takes the final 10 races to determine a championship. No wonder the viewing this year is down by about 2 million people.

JJ has the title of being the best Chase driver ever but as far as being the best Cup driver ever he still has a way to go. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Harvick would have won this year if they still had the old point format and J Gordon would have two more championships. I personally would rather see Sprint Cup run the fastest cars that show up to race and scrap the 35 auto qualifiers and junk the chase. I am sure many will not agree with me but thats OK. Since they changed their format I have paid little attention to most of their races on TV and do not bother to go up to Denton County when they are running there. I am sure the loss of me as a fan does not really bother them at all but I can lay claim to following NASCAR since they first started. If its just new fans they are after then I wish them luck. My vote for best NASCAR Cup driver ever: Dale Earnhardt.

JJ has the title of being the best Chase driver ever but as far as being the best Cup driver ever he still has a way to go. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Harvick would have won this year if they still had the old point format and J Gordon would have two more championships. I personally would rather see Sprint Cup run the fastest cars that show up to race and scrap the 35 auto qualifiers and junk the chase. I am sure many will not agree with me but thats OK. Since they changed their format I have paid little attention to most of their races on TV and do not bother to go up to Denton County when they are running there. I am sure the loss of me as a fan does not really bother them at all but I can lay claim to following NASCAR since they first started. If its just new fans they are after then I wish them luck. My vote for best NASCAR Cup driver ever: Dale Earnhardt.

I second your vote!

I second your vote!

I 3rd it!!!

I second your vote!

I 3rd it!!!

well as i see it they were all playing the same game. And i'm pretty sure Dale and Petty had pretty good team/crew chiefs. really? pretty good. who's the best?

back in those days they could be very inovative....and they were still running as fast as they are now ..with cars that very few drivers left could handle driveing all day ..... drivers in nascar today most probably could only run half a 500 mile race and have to park em ....todays drivers hardly have sweat comeing off of them ..they drive cadilac .s .. remember rudd and others sitting on the ground after racen without a cool suit ...jj would not stand a chance ...he s to purty ..lol

dano..with low fan count at those races .... your more important than before ..you count now ....

I agree with you except for the Dale Earnhardt part. That's only because I did not like him. I respected him for all he did off the track but as a driver I did not like his agressive driving style. To me if you can pass somebody with finess shows more talent than driving through them. My pick as the all time best? David Pearson.

He is not the best ever. No athlete is the "Best Ever". Maybe the "Best" at this time, but not ever. That is the most overused phrase in all of sports. I am not a JJ fan, not a fan of HMS. 5 consecutive Championships is impressive, but he ain't the best ever. Lenny66 B)

You think NASCAR PR did their jobs with this one? No one would be discussing NASCAR right now if it wern't for this kind of thing, it keeps NASCAR in the news and on the forums.

Trying to compare Petty's NASCAR to Earnhardt's NASCAR to Johnsons NASCAR isn't even apples to oranges its apples to a chicken to tofu. Would Petty have won 200 races in the 80's and 90's, no. Would Earnhardt have made it through the chase without wrecking himself out going for the win, no. Would Johnson have stood toe to toe during the pit fights that used to be prevelant? I wasn't a Gordon fan until the past few years when he dropped his "god squad" attitude and became a human, now I really like to watch him race. I wasn't a Johnson fan until the end of this years when we got to see him race from behind and fight for something. I am not defending these guys but to talk about any of the past drivers without including them is silly.

I would like to put my vote in for no auto start and no chase but would also like to add MAKE THEM RUN WHAT THE MANUFACTURERS MAKE!

wow! Can I get a cup of all this hatorade! I need the g1 g2 and the g3 after reading all this. I think you could put little d with knaus and he would still suck! Hows that for some hatorade! Long live nascar style wwe scripted racing at its best!

Tis the season to be hatin! Oh my mean giving opinions!

Archived