Casey Smith ready to for the 43rd Annual Snowball Derby

Casey Smith Once Again Ready to Represent Texas in 43rd Annual Snowball Derby

Austin, Texas (November 26, 2010) - As Thanksgiving festivities draw to a close for the short track racing community it’s now time to shift the focus to the biggest and most prestigious race in the country; the 43rd Annual Snowball Derby at Five Flags Speedway in Pensacola, Florida. Casey Smith and his Austin, Texas based race team will once again be Texas’ best shot at bringing home the coveted Snowball trophy back to the Lonestar state.

Smith is coming off a respectable tenth place finish after racing 293 of the 300 lap event that made up the World Crown 300 at the Greasham Motorsports Park. The Texas native did it all with a car that had its rear clip bent some two feet to the left. Since that time Casey has been wide open doing the appropriate repairs to his #99 Rapid Disposal Chevy Impala including repairing the rear clip and several body repairs.

“I’ve been working late every night to get this car ready for the derby and then with Thanksgiving on Thursday and having to leave the following Tuesday to head to Pensacola it will be nothing less than crazy around the shop this weekend,” said Smith. “It would have been nice to see how good of a car we had Gresham had we had a not got caught up in that wreck on lap seven. That’s behind us now and it’s my favorite time of year now; its Snowball Derby time.”

The last two Snowball Derby’s haven’t been too kind to Smith as early race accidents caused by those around him sent his chances of a promising run down the drain. This season however may be the most promising for Casey as turns his attention to the derby. Smith posted three top five finishes and averaged a 5.75 finishing position in the four Blizzard series events he entered.

“If we can just get a little luck in the first half of the race I think we can race really well at the end we just have had trouble making it to the first pit stop the last two years. It really drives me crazy to think about it actually especially if I think about how good a car we had last year,” added Smith. “The worst we finished in Blizzard race this year was eleventh so it has my team pretty excited on what could be this year. I’m not going to be the car on the pole that’s never been my style I’m more of a long distance racer so if we can make it to the final fifty laps we can have a good finish I’m sure of.”

The 43rd Annual Snowball Derby gets underway on Thursday December 2nd with practice from 10am-4pm, Friday December 3rd practice will resume at 10am and again 1pm with qualifying set to go off at 6pm locking in the thirty fastest cars. On Saturday December 4th super late model cars will get one final practice from 11:30-1pm to prep for the 300 lap race set to take the green flag at 2pm Sunday December 5th.

Stay tuned to Casey Smith Racing at www.caseysmithracing.com for all the latest news, results, and information regarding the 2010 season or contact Chris Ragle at 704-706-3666.

Archived