San Antonio Speedway June 5th Race Recap

GoGirl

School may be out for summer, but that doesn't mean racers aren't racking their brains trying to figure out how to score an A+ in their most favorite subject.....RACING. This past Saturday night at San Antonio Speedway Robert Barker, Eric Knudtson and Donnie Moore all made the grade, zooming them to the head of their class.

Thirteen late model drivers hit the track for their 40 lap main event. Wesley McGuffin and James Cole started on the front row followed by Jesse Salazar, Robert Barker, Jason Smith and Danny Garcia. As the green flag waved, McGuffin took off with Cole keeping a close eye on him. The rest of the field was scrambling around for position. With 8 laps in the books, McGuffin and Cole tangled coming off turn 4. This sent McGuffin spinning and to the back of the pack. Cole hit pit lane for some right front fender repair. On the restart, Barker was leading followed by Salazar, Smith, Larry Bendele and Jim Creech. The action was slowed when Mark Ackerman and Scott Jerkins spun out in separate incidents. With 11 laps remaining Creech, Mike Balzer and Michael Lampton were involved in a melee which sent Creech careening backwards into the inside retaining wall near pit lane entrance and Lampton into the outside wall. This eliminated all three drivers. Barker was still leading with Smith, Bendele, Cole and Salazar in tow. On the restart, Bendele and Cole blasted by Smith. As the checkered flag waved, it was Robert Barker chalking another one up in the win column with Bendele, Cole, Smith and Salazar filling out the top five spots.

Fifteen Sportsman drivers kicked it into high gear for their main event with Garfield Shanklin on the pole followed by Craig Crawley, Tom Casey, Tater Mason and Tom Reynolds. As soon as the green flag flew, the yellow came out for the Jeremy Hernandez car. On the restart Shanklin took the lead, but that was short-lived as Casey took charge on Lap 2. The yellow flag was really getting a work-out as it waved 4 more times before Lap 5 was complete. Thankfully, most of these incidents were minor, however, one of them put an end to Shanklin's night as he was experiencing some ignition problems and Crawley inadvertantly made contact with him. At this point Casey and Mason were in the top two positions. Justin Oates and Eric Knudtson raced through traffic to run third and fourth respectively. Finally, the field settled in for some green flag racing. On Lap 10, Oates passed Casey for the lead and brought Knudtson with him. With six to go, Oates was attempting to put Reynolds a lap down. The two cars touched sending Reynolds into the inside retaining wall of turn 1. This brought out the red flag. Oates was sent to the back of the pack and then to his trailer following the incident, and Knudtson inherited the lead. With 2 laps remaining, Dwayne Markgraf nailed the turn 4 wall. When racing resumed, it was Eric Knudtson driving a smart race taking the win and the points lead. Casey, Mason, Crawley and George Lucas were next to cross the stripe.

The Texas Pro Sedans were making their first appearance of the year at SAS. As fifteen sedans scooted onto the oval, it was Sergio Hexsel on the pole followed by Donnie Moore, Tony Johnson, Lalo Leal, Greg Wood and Mike Knotts. After experiencing mechanical problems in his heat race, Bill LaBarge started in the borrowed car of Dave Parks. When the green flag flew, Moore flew into the lead. On Lap 2, Jamie Garner spun out on the front stretch. The field went back to its original line-up. Once again, Moore jumped into the lead. While running third, Johnson experienced mechanical woes putting an end to his night. The best race was between Hexsel and Leal who were battling it out for second and third. On Lap 7, something went awry on the LaBarge car bringing out the yellow flag. As racing resumed, Moore was untouchable. He took the win followed by Leal, Hexsel, Bryce Dishman and Knotts.

Good recap ,missed you last week.

Lloyd

Sat was my first time at SAS and I loved the track and all of it facalities, and the racing was great also,But, at first i was wonder why only 3 class to run that night until i saw the first accident and could not belive the amount of time it took to clear the track and get back to racing. and when the sportsman car hit the inside wall,,the car was finaly taken off the track and then it took another 15 to 20 min for the ambulance to finsh his paper work before he pulled off the track....I dont mean this to sound like i'm putting down the track because I realy liked the track and the racing but the clean up time is enough to make me think twice about going back.

Great recap gogirl.

until i saw the first accident and could not belive the amount of time it took to clear the track and get back to racing. and when the sportsman car hit the inside wall,,the car was finaly taken off the track and then it took another 15 to 20 min for the ambulance to finsh his paper work before he pulled off the track.

You think that is bad? try sitting in a hot racecar with a helmet on. Then with only one push truck and 3 wreckers but they only use 1? it is a bit disappointing. I wonder when they are going to get the push buggy rebuilt.

Archived