Congrats to Kevin Hav-a-wreck....the REAL points champion

rebelracewriter

How is he the "Real" points champ? They all play the same game and the 48 team has just been better at it, 5TIMES IN A ROW. Congrats Jimmy.

Probably feels the same way a lot of us do. We do not like this Chase thing! This is not a stick & ball sport. I believe the winner should be reward for what they did the whole season. If you did that then Harvick would be your Champion. They are talking about changing the chase again next year. Most like make it suckier than it is now.

Granted this was prior to Homestead finish.....but Jimmy only made up 10 points

As you can tell I have NO love for Hav-a-wreck either......So it isn't because I'm a fan.....by a far stretch....

Current Points Under the Old System:

1)#29-Kevin Harvick, 5109

2) #48-Jimmie Johnson, 4814, -295

3) #11-Denny Hamlin, 4744, -365

4) #99-Carl Edwards, 4625, -484

5) #24-Jeff Gordon, 4617, -492

6) #18-Kyle Busch, 4580, -529

7) #17-Matt Kenseth, 4497, -612

8 ) #14-Tony Stewart, 4481, -628

9) #2-Kurt Busch, 4350, -759

10) #31-Jeff Burton, 4348, -761

11) #16-Greg Biffle, 4280, -829

12) #33-Clint Bowyer, 4249, -860

13) #5-Mark Martin, 4249, -860

14) #1-Jamie McMurray, 4225, -884

Irregardless of same rules....the chase system sux!......It's not like they have another choice of where to race either.....

Johnson point races when it counts. If it were the old format he would most likely drive the first x amout of races differently than they race with the chase format. Untill Hendrick, Chad or Jimmie changes things up things are not going to change much. They just race smarter than everyone else. The combination of Chad and Jimmie have got to be considered one of the top 3 Crewchief/Driver combinations of all time. Maybe even top 2... Anyhow it is what it is...

You can't compare the chase and the old system- All the teams (including 48 & 29) knew the rules and point structure at the beginning of the season. Jimmie, Chad, and the rest of Hendrick racing made decision throughout the season based on the point system- If it was the old system, they would have (possibly) made different decisions and everything would be different. To congratulate Harvick for winning under the 'old' point system (which is no longer used) is equivalent to saying "good job- but read the rules and procedures next year"...

I heard they are considering adding more positions to the "Chase", but they just don't know what position Jr will be riding around in next season. :lol::lol::lol: Lenny66 B) Don't be getting mad Jr fans, maybe the boy should focus on being a team owner instead of driving. JMO.

tv ratings will be worse next year. there is no need to watch over half the sprint cup series on tv. im done with the sprint cup series.

I agree, I think the ratings will go down further next year. NASCAR needs to do what the fans want. France has ruin it with this chase bull crap!

I heard they are considering adding more positions to the "Chase", but they just don't know what position Jr will be riding around in next season. :lol::lol::lol: Lenny66 B) Don't be getting mad Jr fans, maybe the boy should focus on being a team owner instead of driving. JMO.

Maybe he needs to drive for his step-mother again.No matter what team or equipment he drives for,he will always suck as a driver.He might be a better car owner as long as he hires others to drive for him. Waltrip is a better car owner than driver.Alot of former drivers are way better car owners than when they drove.

Irregardless

Irregard means acting with no regard, regardless means having no regard - what in the world is irregardless?

(Just roughing ya a little - it's my most hated misuse of English - makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck).

And the rest of ya"ll,

If the chase was not in place and the champ was determined by tallying the entire season - not one of the condenters would have done anything differently? If you can guarantee that all things (decisions, strategies, budgets, setups, key employees, job task assignments etc) would have stayed the same then I would listen to the arguements being made, and give validity beyond simple whining to the comparison between chase and non chase. We just completed the single most dramatic final five in the history of NASCAR, established the roots of a dynesty in the sport that will surely become bigger than anything that has ever been (sorry King and Dale - the sun is setting on YOUR glory) - and this is something to whine about? Try being a fan of the sport for a while instead of only a fan for your favorite driver. I understand man love is becoming more acceptable nowadays - but I still get a little creeped out when I see it okay? :blink:

They all entered the season with the points sytsem in place and all raced it knowing exactly how points would be awarded and then adjusted for the chase I find it deplorable that out of pure jealousy folks would wish failure on such a great accomplishment. 5 in a row - championships at more than 50% of a carreer - 2 5ths, 2 2nds and 5 Championships in 9 seasons. Simply incredible.

It will probably never happen again in my life time and I got to witness it. WOW - congrats Hendrick Johnson and team. And now the pressure for 6 is on - I don't know that I could survive that much pressure - and I don't think I personally know anyone who could.

I've been a fan of this sport since I grew up outside of Charlotte, N.C.. I can remember listening to the race on the radio with my Dad because they weren't televised yet. No matter what the scenerio is now for the points chase I can never accept the chase format to determine a champion. This is not a stick and ball sport. This is a sport about rewarding a driver and his team for a job well done all season. Kevin Harvick is my NASCAR Champion this year and he's not even my favorite driver.

LOL....no problem jwm.....I can take what I dish out

But just for you.....

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance.

FROM THE FIRST RACE TO THE LAST ..ALL YOU HERE ABOULT Is making the chase ..i hate the chase ..we know who the real champion is ..RCR. they earned it over the whole season ......you bust your ass 26 races ..lead the points with a good lead.. .and then have to start over with ten to go ...and had really good runs in those ten ..and lose ...bs ...if they are going to keep this chase crap going ....give two championships then ..26 race championship. ...then ten race championship..but open that ten race to everyone ...some guys made more points in ten races than the leaders did ..that can really make it interesting.......

bust your ass 26 races ..lead the points with a good lead.. .and then have to start over with ten to go

And to just spring this on them with absolutely no warning - thats appalling. I mean you start the season expecting that you are just racing for total accrued points then WHAM out of the blue NASCAR tosses a curve and your entire strategy is wasted as you are forced to start all over ...

oh wait - hang on - my 5 year old grandson just informed me they all knew this was the rule before they even showed up to play (paid their number registration fees let alone started their engines....) so crybabys are not to be allowed as they ALL made a choice to participate with the rules in place as they are. If he gets it why don't so many "adults"?

Personally I think NASCAR should never have made any changes. We should see them racing in the pure form of moonshiners running in the dark... no rules, no order, no corporate interferance (er um sponserships\contingencies\winners funds), just a bunch of hillbillys driving in circles at numerous dirt hole tracks run by theives and snake oil peddlers with chamionships crowned by whoever has the most time on their hands to attend the most races with a cheap plastic trophy and bragging rights the only targeted reward - that way F1 would be more popular. After all they are faster and race for 1 point per positions 1-10 - which is simple to follow for even a 3rd grade dropout...

On second thought - maybe not - NASCAR has after all changed the things that made it least interesting to outside endeavors - such as attendance falling off at races after the points leaders amasses an insurmountable lead over the last 6 or 7 races. That alone brought at least another 25 mil in gate money to the sport.... ask any promoter of any sport and you will understand - fans may pay to see a star RISE - but they will pay double to see one fall.... the chase smoothed out the money drop due to interest loss (which means not only gate money but exposure for the corporate interests) for the end of season. Or do you believe that sponserships are charitable donations? Why does DuPont spend the money to be on Gordo's car? SO FANS WILL SEE THE NAME. Doesn't work in the last three weeks if the fans are watching the football game instead of the race because the champ was locked in six weeks ago!

No I do not personally like it - but it's not my call to make - I don't own the marks and the system in place. I do know that no one put a gun to anyones head and said YOU WILL RACE THIS SYSTEM. I listen to NASCAR radio and am quite suprised (well no not really) about how many people think the fans watching the race are the driver of the sport (not true since the mid 80"s - it's corporate advertising thats moves this sport along) and have all kinds of ways to "fix" nascar - much like someone telling ME how to fix MY business (which is quite profitable without their help) as if its any of their concern! Well guys - pony up the millions and make your OWN series - and quit whining about this one or move on to soapbox derbies where every one gets a trophy. If ya don't like it BOYCOTT em. Many have so you might not be alone on race day - I am sure you could put together at least a decent party. Just have plenty of Kleenex on hand .....

Bottom line - someone comes along and organises and legitimizes and entire venue, having to not only play advocate for the sport but constantly adapt to societal changes and what do they get to balance out all of those that would call em stupid for their efforts? Ask your local promoter. they are well versed on the issue.

While I'll agree that "it's the rules, they all knew it, blah, blah, blah"

I don't see that it's helped attendence at all......Despite the station(s) carrying the races trying NOT to show crowd shots I make it a point to look at how many open spaces there are in the stands.....Is this a product of the chase, crappy racing at crappy tracks......whatever....who knows......I do know that if I was a regular attendee, like I once was, and my driver wasn't in the chase that I'd be less likely to attend knowing my guy would get no press/publicity/hype......whereas in the old format there may have have two or three with a chance, or if one guy had i wrapped up.....it was pretty much equal treatment to all drivers across the board

The car owners are pretty much captive in the series since there is no other sanction to race in.....It would be even less beneficial to just blow off their investment...So in essence YES they do have a gun to their head(my way or the highway)

As far as markting/sponsorship......I think with the mega-focus on chase drivers during the last 12 races....unless of course Junior is involved....I think it forces many lower budget teams to LOSE sponsorship that they need to be competitive/continue to field a car.....Why do think there are so many start/parks?......If you make it harder/nearly impossible for those lesser teams to secure money needed I think the number of start/parks will continue to rise.....perhaps even to the point that only the big 4 teams(Roush, Hendricks, Gibbs, RCR) have cars left on the track after ten laps......

They(NA$CAR) can say all they want about how good the chase is......I still call it crap......Providing good racing at good tracks with cars that look like the actual car is the REAL racing people are clamoring for.....But just like the government they refuse to listen to their fan base/constituants....

Archived