Decker Reflects on NCRA Southern Modified Championship

rebelracewriter

Decker Reflects on NCRA Southern Modified Championship

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – Midwest City, Oklahoma – November 15, 2010 - It was a very successful sophomore season for the Wichita, Kansas based O’Reilly Auto Parts National Championship Racing Associations southern modified division as the battle for the 2010 points championship came to the final event of the season. And in the end it was Edmond, Oklahoma’s Todd Decker picking up his first series title.

Dustin Buntin of Wheatland, Oklahoma, in his first season competing with the series, used nine – top ten finishes to keep him the season long point’s leader beginning with the series opener at Elk Citys I-40 Speedway in Elk City, Oklahoma. However, over heating problems at Thunderbird Speedway back earlier in the season and motor problems in the season finale at Enid Speedway turned to be the pitfall for the former State Fair Speedway (OKC) regular that has competed in three different divisions in four years. It was Dustin’s first attempt at a traveling series and by all accounts a very successful endeavor.

Decker kept pace with Buntin all season long starting with his victory in the first event of the season at Elk Citys I-40 Speedway. It wasn’t until the final weekend of the season during the annual Enid Speedway Winter Nationals where it all came together.

“We felt we had a chance with two races to go and 70 points out because we had gained about that many points with two races before,” said Decker, one of four drivers to have competed in all 19 events dating back to last season’s inaugural. “We knew there would be a bunch of cars there and that we would both have to get up on the wheel to be where we wanted.”

But the start of the two day weekend didn’t start without some drama as he spun at the start of the first feature of the weekend, relegating him to the back of the twenty-four car field. “After I spun in the first feature I knew I had a fast car and couldn’t get too crazy trying to get back to the front because we had another race to go. Decker would work his way back to a seventh place finish, three spots behind Buntin and now 80 points out.

It then came down to the final race of the season later that day, due to the previous feature being ppd. due to curfew until earlier in the day. Things started out good for Decker has he won the first heat race and set back to see how Buntin would do in the third heat race. “I had loaned Dustin a rocker arm the night before when he had broke on and he told me he had some metal flakes in the oil. He made it through the first feature okay so I didn’t even think about it.” Those flakes in the oil turned out to be Buntins downfall as the motor would expire causing him a tenth place finish in his heat race and a dramatic motor change that saw no less than ten people assist.

“I had just got out of my car and didn’t see his motor go but it didn’t take long for it to get too me. I knew he had a spare motor so I knew he would be ready for the feature. I knew he would be starting last and that I needed to beat him by seven spots because we had the tie breaker.” Buntins attempt would be all for naught as radiator problems while pushing off for the finale ended his night early with no shot at the championship.

Through eleven races on the season, 115 different drivers took part in at least one event with six drivers attending all events while two drivers missed just one show each. The total number of drivers was up five from last year’s rookie season with two new tracks having been scheduled.

“NCRA is a big name series in this area and known nationally,” according to Decker. “When I heard (last year) they were going to have a southern modified series I was in from the start. It is neat to be able to go to their (NCRA) website and look at all the previous winners and champions that I watched growing up. I love traveling to the new tracks and racing against the locals and meeting new people.”

A lot of people behind the scenes help make Decker’s season championship a reality. They include Biscuit Built Race Cars and Panhandle Performance Engines, both out of Amarillo, Texas. “I would also like to thank Ed & Lynn Miller and my sponsors Godfather’s Pizza of Enid, DIRT Performance Parts & Tires, A&L Graphics, Smith Transmission, Lemonade Louie BBQ, Bucks Body Shop, Mike Hoffman Photography, Hawkeye Marine & Engines, Speed Tech Auto and 104.7 “The Rocket. And while he is very grateful to all his sponsors, “it wouldn’t be possible without the help of my family and friends. It takes a total team effort to put together a championship season.”

And while the sophomore season has come and gone, preparations are already underway for the 2011 race season as the series looks to continue to flourish with even more full time travelers and possible new venues. “The only thing better than being defending champion would be being the two-time defending champion. It was an awesome year with over 100 drivers competing in the series and we know we’ll have to step it up even more with Landon Maddox, Donnie McConnell, Ross McCartney and inaugural series champion Chad McNamara all sporting new Biscuit Built Race Cars next year.”

Archived