Lassiter Nets NCRA Modified South Championship

rebelracewriter

Lassiter’s Decision to Hit the Road Nets NCRA Modified South Championship

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – Midwest City, Oklahoma – November 15, 2010 - The second season for the Wichita, Kansas based O’Reilly Auto Parts National Championship Racing Association modified south division has been completed with double the amount of events and almost fifty more drivers competing in at least one of those events. And in the end it was Piedmont, Oklahoma driver Mickey Lassiter picking up the 2010 series championship.

“We decided to race NCRA this year because we were ready to do some traveling and most of the races were within five hours from home,” said Lassiter. “Also, the car counts looked to be better than any other racing in Oklahoma.“ Through the ten events completed, the average car count per event was 31 with the highest being 47 at Cowtown Speedway in Kennedale, Texas on May 22nd with the lowest (15) occurring at the series first ever appearance Thunderbird Speedway in Muskogee September 25th.

His championship came about with consistent top ten finishes, seven times in the top ten with five of those in the top five. However, he would be shut out of victory lane with his top finishes being third, twice, both coming during the I-40 two day weekend at Elk Citys I-40 Speedway in Elk City, Oklahoma and Route 66 Motor Speedway in Amarillo, Texas.

Lassiter, who owns his equipment and is his own sponsor, used Brand Racing Engines to power his Skyrocket chassis. “The Skyrocket chassis was amazing how versatile it was at all the different events.” And while sponsors are few, that doesn’t mean the support for his new venue was lacking. “I have to thank my wife for putting up with the long weekend,” he exclaimed. “I also want to thank Larry Evans for everything and David Rhodes, Larry Beshirs and my son, Tucker, for keeping the pressure on me.”

And through the traveling up and down the highways and byways throughout the state of Oklahoma, there was one moment that he will not forget, this coming at the season finale at Brill Motor Speedway in Meeker, Oklahoma during the tracks running of the inaugural Mark Robinson Memorial in October. He came into the weekend with a 145 point lead but with two point shows being held, it was far from a sure championship. Lassiter would finish eighth in the first qualifier on Friday night causing him to compete in Saturday nights “B” feature. He would then start deep in the field to finish fourth putting him into a fourteenth starting spot for the season feature finale. He would work his way up through the field to a fourth place finish to lock up the championship.

With his rookie season on the tour and a championship in the books, any plans to defend are up in the air. “We will just have to wait and see what the schedule looks like and we will decide then.”

Lassiter will be officially crowned O’Reilly/NCRA modified south champion on Saturday night, January 29, 2011 in Wichita.

The series growth was evident with not only the above mentioned schedule of events doubled from that of 2009, but the drivers who competed in at least one event arose from 99 last year to 144 this year. Plans are already underway for the 2011 race season and with pending rule adjustments and possible new venues, the series modified south division looks to once again gain in popularity.

Archived