After Years of Trying, Powers Finally NCRA Modified Champion

rebelracewriter

After Years of Trying, Powers Finally NCRA Modified Champion

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – November 19, 2010 – Midwest City, Oklahoma - One of the series originals finally made it happen. After twelve years of following the O’Reilly Auto Parts National Championship Racing Association modified north tour, Wichita, Kansas driver Brian Powers picked up his first series championship as the series completed its thirteenth consecutive season.

Using six top five finishes in the six race events held during the 2010 race season along with four heat race victories, Powers obtained the championship despite not reaching victory lane. “Consistency was the key thing,” said Powers. “Without a winning single “A” feature all year it took consistent finishes night in and night out. Also, hard work from the whole crew all year long to make sure all the pieces came together every night.” Of those top five finishes, three of them were runner up positions with two of them coming during the two day, 54th annual Hutchinson Grand Nationals.

The 2004 Hutchinson Grand Nationals modified champion not only earned his first series championship but picked up the 81 Speedway season championship as well, a feat that had never been accomplished until this year. He joins series sprint car champion Jeremy Campbell as the only driver in any of the series divisions, past or present, to do this. “To win both championships is something I never would have thought possible. I need to thank all of my sponsors plus so many more. Bob Breising, Chris Benson, Darrell Beckham, Geoff Bradford, Garry Riley, Don & Sherry Foster, Mike Miller, David Allen and all the wives, girlfriends and children who sacrificed their family time. It is so true that this is a family sport. I also couldn’t have done it without the help and support from my family from my parents to my wife, Mylisa, and my two boys Josh and Dan, all who have stuck by my side through this amazing ride. To be able to share the championship with them is something I have been waiting to do my whole career.”

The self owned, KBS powered Hoffman Chassis is sponsored by KBS Motors, Kline’s Meats, Chris Farber Construction, Mill-Tel, AAA Clearing Services, Guide One Insurance, Superior Control and Simons Petroleum.

It all came down to the final night of racing at 81 Speedway with season long points leader Powers holding a slim 35 point lead over 2008 series champion Marc Hurd. Powers would win his heat race while Hurd struggled in his causing him to compete in the ”B” feature. Hurd would finish fifth and start fifteenth in the feature finale where he worked his way to a sixth place finish. But Powers, who at one point was battling for the lead, settled in to finish fourth thus, locking up the championship.

“That was the most memorable moment of this year, picking up the checkered flag on championship night. To have worked for that certain moment for over 20 years was a night I will never forget. I just wish we could have picked up at least one “A” feature when though.”

As long as Powers has followed the series, one would think there would be no doubt about him defending his championship in 2011, but that may not be the case. “I have enjoyed racing the NCRA circuit since the start of it because the competition is good. I have made a lot of friends on and off the track. I look back at where we started and where we are today and all I can say is ‘wow’.” Early indications are for Brian not to defend his championship and to assist his son, Dan, and his modified racing career. Dan finished fifth in the final series point standings and runner up in rookie points. However, the familiar #44 is not yet for sale so don’t count him out for a fourteenth season of chasing the modified north tour in 2011.

Powers, along with the rest of the top ten in final point standings, will be officially crowned on Saturday night, January 29, 2011 at the series annual banquet in Wichita.

Archived