Austin F1 featured in Autoweek

PAPosse

I honestly haven't been following that closely so I'm not sure what is "new".

The article says they will break ground in December. F1 would like to run Austin in June 2012 while the teams are already slated to be in Canada.

The first part about the article is about the locals - and how they welcome the track more than the subdivision that was slated to go there. The second part is about Tavo the promoter and driver, and how the whole project came about. The last part is about people who don't believe it is going to happen...if Indy couldn't do it how can Austin?

I guess the most interesting thing to me in the article (because it shows the politics involved), is the Texas DOT submitted a 46 question interrogation to Hellmund's company inquiring how a flash flood on raceday would be handled. "The county requires that owners of RVs obtain a permit prior to placement of an RV within the FEMA floodplain. Why type of evacuation plans have you prepared to ensure the safety of the campers?"

Tavo says if there's some disaster (sinkhole, unforseen circumstances) that prevents a 2012 race they will pay the penalty and be on the schedule in 2013.

Archived