2011 Sportmod rules

gen11

New IMCA rules are allowing 602 crates with a holley 4 barrell and a 6200rpm chip. Built motors can run the quadrajet until the end of 2011 when you have to switch to the holley 500cfm. Seems to me that crate performance has been enhanced by % and total weight rules in the asphalt classes. No such rules exist for sportmods. That being said, can the crate keep up and who's gonna try it first. They seem to be doing well in the Northern division.

New IMCA rules are allowing 602 crates with a holley 4 barrell and a 6200rpm chip. Built motors can run the quadrajet until the end of 2011 when you have to switch to the holley 500cfm. Seems to me that crate performance has been enhanced by % and total weight rules in the asphalt classes. No such rules exist for sportmods. That being said, can the crate keep up and who's gonna try it first. They seem to be doing well in the Northern division.

In my opinion, a 602 with a 4-bbl will hold it's own against the built sportmod motor with the 2 bbl.

I think it's a great idea make it a follow the leader class, just like all the other crate classes. Before long it might be as exciting as the cup races.

Most of the trucks in the Truck Series are running crate motors....and there was plenty of passing! I think it makes handling and the driver more critical.

jjs....USRA sanction has an optional all aluminum crate motor with with rollers.....supposed to be around 7,500

Based on the latest production version of the small blocks that power the Chevrolet Corvette, the GM Performance Parts CT525 crate engine has went from the research and development phase to a frequent winner on the racetrack in just two years.

The engine features an aluminum block and heads, hypereutectic aluminum pistons, nodular iron crank and hydraulic roller that fills the “need for speed" at a surprisingly affordable price.

The CT525 is available from Karl Chevrolet in Ankeny, Iowa, for $7,100. For more information, call toll-free 866-551-9188 or visit www.karlperformanceparts.com online.

For the 2011 racing season, USRA RHS Modifieds must also utilize an 8,000 RPM rev-limiting chip (7,500 RPM for CT525 crate engines), which will be distributed by the racetrack.

I think it's a great idea make it a follow the leader class, just like all the other crate classes. Before long it might be as exciting as the cup races.

I forgot you like the type of racing where a big open motored car is leading and stops in the center of the corner and drag races to the next corner!!!!! You still gotta handle in the corners bud......

To preface this....I'm NOT a big fan of crate motors......but....with the cost of motors spiralling out of control something has/had to be done.....

From some searching I did....you can get a 602 crate from $3,500(avg.)......There are many people out there spending way more than that right now.....Granted others have the ablity, knowledge and parts to assemble their own for less....

Here's some spec's on the 602....

602 crate specs

I forgot you like the type of racing where a big open motored car is leading and stops in the center of the corner and drag races to the next corner!!!!! You still gotta handle in the corners bud......

J.C. Since u'r speaking to my husbands open engine builder, are u referring to my husbands driving!?! :angry: LOL :rolleyes: Good thing he finally has a crate :P

To preface this....I'm NOT a big fan of crate motors......but....with the cost of motors spiralling out of control something has/had to be done.....

From some searching I did....you can get a 602 crate from $3,500(avg.)......There are many people out there spending way more than that right now.....Granted others have the ablity, knowledge and parts to assemble their own for less....

Here's some spec's on the 602....

602 crate specs

Reb, that was the original intention of the "crate" engine. However, the super lates allowed them in and due to such a lop-sided advantage in weight they became the only way to be competitive. Then the innovators found a way to make there sealed motor 50 more hp than others. And so to compete again you had to spend even more money. And now that some places allow the sealed bolts to be removed, its just going to get more out of hand. I am very curious to see how this will pan out on dirt.

There goes more money in a class thats supposed to be an economy class like it was supposed to be to begin with. Every year they ad more and more money adders.

Until you run one think about it before you type!!! I ran one on dirt, in 11 starts got six wins, 2 seconds, a third and 2 dnfs. Since not abusing it with high rpms ect... didn't even have to change the oil once the whole 11 races. Its a great option.

Limited #4

Crates are cheaper, trust me. When you can buy a race ready crate motor for 3500 or so versus my motor I was running that was about 8000 so this isn't going to kill the class. And my motor was IMCA legal with no cheats before anyone says you cant spend that much on a legal motor. I was making around 400-425hp on a 500 carb. I don't know exactly what the crates make, but for the money, I would have saved money to begin with and bought a crate motor right off the bat. They are very competitive.

As far as follow the leader racing, that's already happening at THR in most classes due to qualifying. We mentioned this to the powers that be and suggested that THR go to draw for your starting position like the dirt tracks do. Get rid of qualifying and go back to heat races to try and improve your starting spot. More racing, more fun and everyone gets a chance at starting up front and the fast guys aren't always on the top 2 rows and will need to fight their way to the front sometimes. That's what fans want to see. Get rid of follow the leader racing.

Archived