Ok trucks here we go

legfixr

I think if its ok with this forum its easier for us to ask HMp and Jack questions on here and get answers so that they are not bombarded with repetitive questions.

Heres my start.

what is contact info for the P.E.C. chassis supplier

if the rockers can be changed how about to roller rockers

what about studs.

what about gear drive

Even though it sais aftermarket do we still need to look at the 305 restrictions and include those in our items that we can now put a wrench on.

I assume all this is intended to do is not worry about it being a sealed motor anymore. but stock parts not aftermarket.

I think if its ok with this forum its easier for us to ask HMp and Jack questions on here and get answers so that they are not bombarded with repetitive questions.

It's perfectly OK with Lone Star Speedzone. However, I have rarely seen Jack respond to questions on Lone Star Speedzone and I know that John refers all questions he gets about rules to Jack. Perhaps it would be appropriate if you, or someone else, someone contacted John to see if the track is willing to use Lone Star Speedzone to answer rules questions.

Naturally, I would moderate to prevent bitch sessions when someone disagrees with the track.

In the past neither John nor Jack have engaged in "pissing contests" over calls or rules on here and I don't expect them to do so in the future. They know that pissing contests usually end up with no winners and a bunch of folks who end up looking like cry babies.

Nick

Heres my start.

what is contact info for the P.E.C. chassis supplier

if the rockers can be changed how about to roller rockers

what about studs.

what about gear drive

Even though it sais aftermarket do we still need to look at the 305 restrictions and include those in our items that we can now put a wrench on.

I assume all this is intended to do is not worry about it being a sealed motor anymore. but stock parts not aftermarket.

PEC Chassis supplier is 360 Motorsports and their contact information is posted under the topic "2011 NASCAR 360 Truck Rules."

No roller rockers, no studs, no gear drive. Chase's response is correct: All components must remain within tolerances, specifications and guidelines as published by GM for specific crate engine as determined by HMP Technical Director.

I dont think Jack gets on Lonestar Speedzone and if he does, I think it would take longer for him to type to respond that it would be for everyone to pick up the phone and call him. lol. Please call Jack directly for any additional questions. Thank you.

It's perfectly OK with Lone Star Speedzone. However, I have rarely seen Jack respond to questions on Lone Star Speedzone and I know that John refers all questions he gets about rules to Jack. Perhaps it would be appropriate if you, or someone else, someone contacted John to see if the track is willing to use Lone Star Speedzone to answer rules questions.

Naturally, I would moderate to prevent bitch sessions when someone disagrees with the track.

In the past neither John nor Jack have engaged in "pissing contests" over calls or rules on here and I don't expect them to do so in the future. They know that pissing contests usually end up with no winners and a bunch of folks who end up looking like cry babies.

Nick

ALL OUT OF PISS, JUST NOW THAT WHEN YOU LET PEOPLE REFRESH THEIR OWN MOTORS AND SAY AFTERMARKET INSTEAD OF OEM IT COULD CREATE A WHOLE LOT OF FUN AT TECH.

JUST CLARIFYING FOR THE SAKE OF CLARIFYING VERSUS TRYING TO CREATE A DEBATE OR BITCH SESSION.

I'M FINE WITH EVERYTHING HMP DOES AND THE WAY MY TRUCK RUNS, SWITCHING FROM A BUMP STOP SETUP TO A TRADITIONAL SETUP PER RULES AND THEN HAVE TO LEARN THAT SETUP, MAYBE MY SCHEDULE WILL ALLOW ME TO ATTEND YOUR CLASSES NEXT YEAR.

I've presented the question to Jack but haven't heard back as to why they would actually put no bump stops or coil bound setups. If that's how people think it will make their truck run better why not allow it? It makes no sense to me why they would actually say no bump stops or coil binding.

I've presented the question to Jack but haven't heard back as to why they would actually put no bump stops or coil bound setups. If that's how people think it will make their truck run better why not allow it? It makes no sense to me why they would actually say no bump stops or coil binding.

Since I made the suggestion about this a while back to Jack, I don't mind explaining what my thinking was. I knew when I made the suggestion that it would not be popular with some folks, but I felt like it was the right thing to do for the truck class, so that didn't bother me. Whether or not they adopted the rule for my reasons or other reasons completely different is up to the track to say.

Here was my thinking - the trucks became somewhat of an entry class at HMP last year. There were several racers that jumped into racing via the truck series who had no prior racing experience or no prior asphalt experience. That allowed the truck series to grow and helped the track to grow its pool of cars - that's a good thing. Whether or not we want the trucks to be looked at as an "entry class", that's what it has become. Bump stop and coil bind setups have the potential to make a truck faster than a conventional setup. Notice I said potential - it requires additional understanding, shock work, and testing time. Most new drivers/teams don't have any of these available to them.

Yes, the bump stops themselves are cheap. To get the most out of a bump stop setup is not cheap or easy. I've seen brand new drivers slap a set of bump stops on their race vehicles, go no faster or maybe even go slower than before, scratch their heads out of frustration, and keep going backwards. They didn't have a good understanding of basic handling and chassis principles before they decided to play monkey see - monkey do with the bump stops, and they are likely to eventually hang it all up out of frustration.

So to keep the trucks more affordable, attractive, and less intimidating to newer racers, I suggested that bump stops be disallowed. Like I said, the track may have done it for completely different reasons, but I suspect not. In the long run, most of our average truck racers will be better off leaving the bump stops alone and sticking with conventional setups. They will get faster sooner and have more fun in the end.

Like I said, I don't expect everyone to agree. I just hope everyone understands that I made the suggestion because I believed it was good for the trucks.

Ok, I've been way out of the loop for a while... Are the 42 and 99 trucks running crates?

To be real honest..... you never know which engine is in the 42 truck from week to week! Sometimes Jason doesnt have anything to do so he goes out in his shop and swaps just becuase he runs the same lap times with both. Pisses Dad off but its fun for him! So the 42 runs both and has run both for about 3 seasons now.

Here was my thinking - the trucks became somewhat of an entry class at HMP last year. There were several racers that jumped into racing via the truck series who had no prior racing experience or no prior asphalt experience. That allowed the truck series to grow and helped the track to grow its pool of cars - that's a good thing.

I agree with this completely. I think maintaining a competitive field of trucks is vital. We are still new and learning and this class has been a great place to start. Not everyone has been racing for 10+ years. This class allows guys like me to learn, understand, and possibly move up to a modified or late model one day.

I personally like rule restrictions like this, when I start disliking rule limitations, I will move up a class.

If you want entry level get a pro stock where you can't do anything to it but drive it. There are late models out there running bumps as well as conventional set ups and they are running similar speeds. Why punish a guy who prefers to drive a coil bind set up vs. conventional and say that if you want to run that type of set up then go to a different class. I think it's great that THR gave an opportunity for their drivers to weigh in on the rules for this year for the HMP class and yet the HMP drivers didn't. It's stupid to restrict rules based on the fact that someone doesn't know how to do it. if we keep getting more and more restrictive so that the slower can catch up then nobody ever learns how to improve and we just keep slowing the competition down so they can keep up. Setup's are a matter of preference and restrictions like this are punishing one group because the others can't do it.

Why don't we just take away jack bolts, aftermarket springs and racing shocks? Now you've got a real entry level! The fans won't know any different and now anyone can set up a truck because there won't be any setup.

It's rules like this that cause me to scratch my head. What are we trying to accomplish. It's no difference in cost, a convensional setup is just as complicated to adjust (why do you think Nick's seminars are so popular) and all we've done is lengthen the rule book by another sentence or two and take away a couple of setup options. If the rules limit the type of shocks (and they do) and the type of springs (and they do) and the type of adjusting devices (and they do), and the chassis configuration (and they do), why not allow anything you can do with those limitations? If it's an inferior setup or it's too complicated the teams will figure that out pretty fast, but let it be their decision.

ANY OEM SWAY BAR THAT MOUNTS IN STOCK LOCATION WITHOUT ANY ALTERATION!!! I was the only truck that had it this way last year. It was an original off a 1984 monte carlo. Guess you boys better get to the bone yards and tap them 4 metric holes out, so you can mount it back factory!!!

Jack made it perfectly clear last year that the ARTS mounting of the sway bars was within the rules. I agree that the wording could have been cleaned up, but the man made it clear time and time again last year.

Not saying this is happening, but......

Suppose I run a BB/ss setup on bumps and the rules call for a shock that doesn't really lend itself to the bump-type setup - pretty much like last year's truck rules. But I've learned from the "big boys" that tie down shocks really add a lot to a bump-type setup. I mean a lot, but those pesky, cheap shocks just don't work as good as some of those really good tie-down shocks.

And suppose I have some money that's burning a hole in my pocket. So I go to one of a few shock builders who don't mind bending the rules as long as the customer is paying, and he/she builds me a set of tie down shocks inside the same "cheap" shock body everyone else is running. Of course, that costs me a bunch more than I would pay for an expensive set of tie down shocks, but, hey, now my nose stays down the whole way through the turns and keeps the air out to provide me with some very nice aero downforce, which is the real reason for running a BB/ss setup anyway.

Again, not saying this is happening. Just saying...

Nick

Suppose I run a BB/ss setup on bumps and the rules call for a shock that doesn't really lend itself to the bump-type setup - pretty much like last year's truck rules. But I've learned from the "big boys" that tie down shocks really add a lot to a bump-type setup. I mean a lot, but those pesky, cheap shocks just don't work as good as some of those really good tie-down shocks.

And suppose I have some money that's burning a hole in my pocket. So I go to one of a few shock builders who don't mind bending the rules as long as the customer is paying, and he/she builds me a set of tie down shocks inside the same "cheap" shock body everyone else is running. Of course, that costs me a bunch more than I would pay for an expensive set of tie down shocks, but, hey, now my nose stays down the whole way through the turns and keeps the air out to provide me with some very nice aero downforce, which is the real reason for running a BB/ss setup anyway.

Nick

but wouldn't the claimer shock rule prevent that? If someone wants to run within the rule which the shock rule only says that it must be a steel body shock with a max price of $125.00 and there is nothing on minimum spring rates and they've found a way like ray mentinoed staying within all the other parameters then why would you go that one step further and say you can't do it.

Nick

Then add in your magic polar penguins in the moment center....wait.....Polar Penguins? I'm sooooo CONFUSED!!! LOL!! (I know...I Know. That's NOT a news flash.... :o )

Ok, so how many shocks were claimed? Also, if I recall the minutes of the meeting for 2010 it was said that motors would be claimed by the track. So, how many motors were claimed? Claims rules are great if stuff gets claimed, until then no telling what is going on.

Bobby with PEC can tell you, during the Charity race in Orlando those trucks are teched big time and it is a non points charity race. Maybe it is time to get into these motors and look deeper into the shocks. I for one think Jack does a knock out job of teching so don't for one second think I'm knocking his teching. Also, when is the last time someone opened say an MSD 6AL? Hmmmm.... I have talked with Jim at I-37 about a couple of things for them to tech on the dirt cars.

I wish I had time to run with you guys/gals... Trucks to me are where it is at!

Best to all in 2011....

Mark

Ok, so how many shocks were claimed? Also, if I recall the minutes of the meeting for 2010 it was said that motors would be claimed by the track. So, how many motors were claimed? Claims rules are great if stuff gets claimed, until then no telling what is going on.

Bobby with PEC can tell you, during the Charity race in Orlando those trucks are teched big time and it is a non points charity race. Maybe it is time to get into these motors and look deeper into the shocks. I for one think Jack does a knock out job of teching so don't for one second think I'm knocking his teching. Also, when is the last time someone opened say an MSD 6AL? Hmmmm.... I have talked with Jim at I-37 about a couple of things for them to tech on the dirt cars.

I wish I had time to run with you guys/gals... Trucks to me are where it is at!

Best to all in 2011....

Mark

No shocks were claimed, and I believe that the Track/Engine Claim Rule was dropped before the season started!

Archived