Howell, Stone, White, Lorenz, Tschoerner, Kemp, Smith cap off Tx. Thun

Spooky Sprint Finale @ Texas Thunder Speedway, 10/30/10

By J M Hallas

Killeen, Tx.,(Oct. 30t, 2010) Texas Thunder Speedway capped off the 2010 season the high-banked 1/4 mile clay oval with the rescheduled appearance of Smiley Sitton's, Sprint Series of Texas. The Sprint Series of Texas was forced to postpone an earlier show due to rain, with this race being their final action for the season.

The night's action also included the regular track classes, with some rules exceptions to open up the competition and allow other track cars to participate.

Several driver had their cars decked out for Halloween celebration and all the kids(big and little) were dressed in costumes. During intermission “trick or treat” was held on the front stretch, with SST drivers judging the costume contest.

Howell Holds Off Hustling Hammock for Spooky SST Finale

In the final race of 2010 for the Sprint Series of Texas, Jason Howell(Azle) got out front early, while last race winner, Jerry Hammock(Waxahacie) plowed his way through the field. Howell had Hammock on his tail for late race restart, but was able to hold off the multi-time race winner for his third win of the season.

After the three-wide salute to the fans, the 20-car SST field took the green with Mike Knowles leading the pack into turn 1. But it was Sean Mayfield shooting past on the back stretch to lead lap 1, trailed by Knowles, Danny Merrell and Montana Hayashi. Hayashi got by Merrell and Knowles for second on lap 1 while Howell worked his way around both to third on lap 2. Jon Freeman and Kerry Rush brought out the caution with separate spins in turn 3.

The yellow was quickly back out on the restart after Hayashi spun from second in turn 3. Once back to green Howell squirted past Mayfield to lead lap 4 and began to pull away. Dustin Woods made it to the top five passing Kurt Summers and Ed Keaton on lap 6 for fifth. Ahead of him Chris Thode was getting third from Knowles.

Mayfield brought out a caution on lap 11 when he spun from second in turn 3. Under caution Knowles pulled off from his top five spot, moving Hammock up to fourth for the restart. Howell got a good jump on green leaving Thode, D. Woods, Hammock and Summers in his dust. Hammock continued his march to the front getting by D. Woods on lap 12 for third.

James Reed looped his mount in turn 1 to bring out a yellow on lap 12, erasing Howell's nice lead. When the green flew again Howell again pulled out to a slight lead while Hammock worked his way past Thode for second. Hammock tried to chase down Howell but ran out of laps as Howell in the All Import Auto Parts, Graph-Tech Racing Graphics, Champion Dent Repair, H&H Race Engines, Maxim Chassis snagged the checkers.

Smiley Sitton's Outlaw Driving School Sprint Series of Texas

44 Jason Howell

4 Jerry Hammock

42 Chris Thode

05 Dustin Woods

21 Kenny Elwood

9 Kurt Summers

50 Cody Whitworth

84 David Garland

61 Ed Keaton

7 Carl Lamb

92 James Reed

25 Sean Mayfield

07 Mike Knowles

47 Danny Merrell

1 Phil Harris

06 Craig Woods

69 Brian Fielder

56 Montana Hayashi

2 Jon Freeman

91 Kerry Rush

SST Heats

Heat 1

25 Sean Mayfield

42 Craig Woods

61 Chris Thode

06 Ed Keaton

69 Brian Fielder

7 Carl Lamb

50 Cody Whitworth

Heat 2

1 Phil Harris

44 Jason Howell

92 James Reed

84 David Garland

05 Dustin Woods

07 Mike Knowles

59 Kenny Venable

91 Kerry Rush

Heat 3

9 Kurt Summers

4 Jerry Hammock

94 Drew Wright

56 Montana Hayashi

47 Danny Merrell

88 N/A

2 Jon Freeman

21 Kenny Elwood

Stone Sweeps Monster Modified Main

Belton's Kenny Stone wired the Modified 20-lap main in a race that featured five current/former track champions, including a National Modified and multi-time Southern Sportmod titlist. Stone, who took his heat race, was chased early by PJ Egbert and Keith White who tangled twice. Stone then inched ahead while GW Egbert and Southern Challenge champion, Chris Elliott battled for second.

As the green waved on the 20-car field Stone jumped out front from the pole followed by PJ Egbert, White, Doug Lorenz and Elliott, while Benji Kirkpatrick did a 360 a kept rolling falling to the back. Elliott got by Lorenz for fourth when GW Egbert tapped Hardy Henderson then got rear ended shoving Henderson all the way around for a caution on lap 1.

On the restart Stone eased ahead with White and PJ Egbert battling for second and Lorenz swapping fourth with Elliott until Lorenz spun. Stone again got away clean with PJ Egbert getting second from White and Elliott side by side with Brad Jordan for fourth. PJ Egbert tried to dive under Stone in turn 3, but White had the same plan. Three wide, all diving for the bottom, didn't work leaving White and PJ Egbert hooked together in turn 4.

Once back to racing, Stone began to pull away with Cham Savage getting by Joe O'Bryan for fifth, followed by Chase Jupe and Pat McGuire. Elliott was able to pick off second from Jordan leaving him wheel to wheel with GW Egbert for third. Yellow waved again for White and PJ Egbert after contact sent White around in turn 3. Both retired for the night.

Stone and Elliott broke away on the restart, while Kirkpatrick came back from his early spin getting along side Jupe for sixth. At halfway it was Stone, Elliott, GW Egbert, Jordan and Savage in the top five with GW Egbert closing on Elliott for second. AS GW Egbert pressured Elliott, Jordan slipped giving up spots to Kirkpatrick and Jupe.

As Elliott and GW Egbert battled side by side in traffic, Kirkpatrick was able run them down. With five to go they were almost three wide for second with GW Egbert getting the spot. Mark Beltz spun in turn 3 collecting Jupe and bringing out a caution on lap 21. As green waved for the final four laps, Stone eased ahead while GW Egbert fought t hold off Elliott.

Kirkpatrick joined in the fight again with a look low on Elliott who had taken a peek on the high side of GW Egbert. When the white flag waved Stone had a couple car lengths on the three-car scrap for second. Stone in the Bell County Electric Supply, Fat Boys Bar-B-Q, Smith Construction, McGuire Truck & Auto, Kempner Metal & Iron, Cen-Tex Motorsports powered, Hoffman H3 Chassis, motored ahead for the win.

“Being smooth and consistent was the key tonight,” replied Stone. “I just ran the car as hard as I could. David Smith jr. has helped me out a ton with this car and my Dad was looking over me tonight. I started off the year here with a win and felt he was on my shoulder tonight.”

“I felt PJ(Egbert) back there on my rear quarter panel. It upset the car a little but I just kept on driving. When I saw the caution I kind of knew what happened. I saw them together when I got to the back stretch. I was disappointed. I really wanted to win racing against Keith(White) and beat him at his game. I knew if I was going to win that I had to beat him. Knowing that he's back there is always on your mind.”

“In love running against the fast guys. You've got to beat the best of the best in order to get better. I want to run against a full field, not just 12 cars. When I saw Chris Elliott was here that was another good car. He won the Southern Challenge this year and that's a big accomplishment. I was happy to see him here.”

Dodge Country IMCA Modifieds

5K Kenny Stone

717 GW Egbert

47 Benji Kirkpatrick

23 Chris Elliott

3j Brad Jordan

20 Mike McCarthy

37 Ben Ketteman

97 Doug Lorenz

52 Ken Old

44x Joe O'Bryan

17 Cody Tidwell

9 Pat McGuire

98j Jarrod Jennings

303 Chase Jupe

2 Brandon Stewart

412 Mark Beltz

C4 Cham Savage

707 PJ Egbert

1 Keith White

63 Hardy Henderson

IMCA Modified B-main(Top 8 to A-main)

20 Mike McCarthy

c4 Cham Savage

303 Chase Jupe

37 Ben Ketteman

98j Jarrod Jennings

52 Ken Old

17 Cody Tidwell

412 Mark Beltz

38 Billy Bachmeyer

29 Keith Tibbett

63j Jake Henderson

247 Bill Lecompte

44 Allen Waltermire

44s Joe Spillman

78 Trevor Egbert---DNS

82 Rick Green---DNS

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1

5k Kenny Stone

63 Hardy Henderson

3j Brad Jordan

20 Mike McCarthy

44s Joe Spillman

29 Keith Tibbett

412 Mark Beltz

Heat 2

1 Keith White

23 Chris Elliott

44x Joe O'Bryan

38 Billy Bachmeyer

63j Jake Henderson

44 Allen Waltermire

247 Bill Lecompte

Heat 3

97 Doug Lorenz

47 Benji Kirkpatrick

717 GW Egbert

c4 Cham Savage

37 Ben Ketteman

82 Rick Green

98j Jarrod Jennings

Heat 4

707 PJ Egbert

2 Brandon Stewart

9 Pat McGuire

52 Ken Old

17 Cody Tidwell

303 Chase Jupe

78 Trevor Egbert

Witchy White Wins Sportmod Season-ender

Academy's Keith White capped off the Texas Thunder Season adding yet another career win to his resume. White held off an early charge from Dean Abbey and then TJ Green after a caution in the latter stages of the 20-lap event for the victory.

K. White beat JP Dowell into turn 1 at the start of the 21-car feature. Abbey snuck by Dowell for second with TJ Green moving into fourth. TJ Green then took third from Dowell on lap 3. Garrett Jonse brought out the caution on lap 4 after going off the turn 2 and stopping on the back stretch. On green Abbey took a look low on K. White, while Mike McDougal snagged fifth from Paul White. McDougal got along side and past Dowell on lap 6 for fourth followed by P. White for fifth.

This left Dowell battling with Johnny Torres for sixth. Separate incidents at both ends of the track brought out a yellow on lap 8 rebunching the field. A multi-car tangle on the restart saw front runners Abbey and Dowell caught up in turn 4. Once back to green, K. White jumped out to a slight lead over TJ Green and McDougal, with Randy Doyle and George Egbert rounding out the top five at the crossed flags.

Egbert was able to get around Doyle for fourth on lap 11. Doyle gave up fifth to Kevin Green a lap later. K. Green tried low on Egbert, but was unable to make the pass. Up front it was K. White in the Traceys Auto Sales, Braka Operating, Rhino Racing Rear ends, Craftmaster Powder Coating, Belton Metals, TCI, Stephenville Starter, Amsoil, Tubbs Paint & Body, Cen-Tex Motorsports, Western Flyer Chassis cruising to the checkers.

“We've had an awesome year,” exclaimed White. “I've never had a year like this before. We've done well in both cars every week, every night. It's been a great year. The track was predictable, slick on one end, good on the other. It's not the same old Killeen because David(Goode) has done a lot of work on the track. It's not the same, but some things are still the same.”

“The Sprint Cars helped smooth the track off some. They put a lot of water on the track for them. I'm glad they(Sprints) were here and hope they make several more trips back here next year.”

“We really haven't decided what we're going to do next year with the rules change,” continued White. “It looks like we might get an IMCA Stock Car to race with whichever car we decide to go with. We're going to wait for the new rules to come out before we make a decision. We'll have to make that decision sometime in the next couple weeks or month.”

“There's a lot of speculation on the Crate motors or Spec motors. I think that good tech is the best way to bring motor cost down. You need a good set of rules, that you can tech and look at every week. Something that can be checked quickly and accurately. That way everyone feels they have a level playing ground. At first glance the Crate seems to give you that, but with the availability of seal bolts on the Internet that doesn't give me a warm feeling.”

“Tech is still the biggest thing. That's really it.”

Danny's Transmissions IMCA Southern Sportmods

1 Keith White

55 TJ Green

224 Mike McDougal

70 George Egbert

5d Kevin Green

65 Randy Doyle

7g David Goode jr

989 Clark Warren

48 Mitch Tierney

2m Brittney McElroy

90 Duane Toyne

G26 Donnie Broussard

0 Tim Carmen jr

23 Shelly Sakhnini

26 Dean Abbey

27j Garrett Jonse

66 Johnny Torres

65d JP Dowell

2 Paul White

88 Colton Monroe

92 Jason Stanley

83k Kenny Ware---DNS

SSM heats

Heat 1

26 Dean Abbey

5D Kevin Green

224 Mike McDougal

65 Randy Doyle

83 Kenny Ware

48 Mich Tierney

0 Tim Carmen jr.

Heat 2

65D JP Dowell

2m Brittney McElroy

66 Johnny Torres

92 Jason Stanley

7g David Goode jr

23 Shelly Sakhnini

989 Clark Warren

Heat 3

1 Keith White

55 TJ Green

2 Paul White

88 Colton Monroe

90 Daune Toyne

70 George Egbert

G26 Donnie Broussard

27j Garrett Jonse

Lorenz Finds Jack o' Lantern in I-Stock Scramble

Veteran Doug Lorenz found himself in the Winners Circle as the I-Stock feature came to the finish. Lorenz was beneficiary of a tangle between Jason Batt and Eric Jones as they battled for the lead. Jones made contact with Batt cutting down a tire, while Jones got the black flag on the last lap handing the checker to Lorenz.

Fifteen-cars took the green for the 15-lap I-Stock feature with Pat Wilson putting a slide job on Batt, but Richard Valentine went around and collected Paul Acosta. On the second start Batt beat Wilson into turn 1, but got a tap from Wilson giving Jones the chance to sneak by both for the lead on lap 1. Batt, Trevor Sparkman, Wilson and Ron Simpson fell in line behind Jones. Batt then dove under Jones to get the top spot on lap 2, while Simpson moved by Wilson for fourth.

Acosta looped it in turn 2 to bring out a yellow. On the restart Simpson, Lorenz and Sparkman went three wide for third and traded some paint. This gave Robin Rasmussen-Batt an opening to move up to fourth. As R. Batt and Lorenz swapped the spot, Wilson got past Lorenz. Jones was pressuring J. Batt for the lead on lap 5, as his significant other R. Batt took third from Sparkman.

Lorenz and Wilson ran door to door on lap 9 with Lorenz retaking the spot. Lorenz then snared third from R. Batt, followed by Wilson to fourth. R. Batt got back around Wilson on lap 11. Jones tried to get under J. Batt making contact in turn 4 giving J. Batt a flat left rear. J. Batt puled off as Jones took the white only to find the black flag waving instead of the checkers. Lorenz was awarded the win in the Kwik Kar Oil & Lube, Reds BBQ, Cen-Tex Motorsports, SCS Chassis.

“I was really surprised.” said Lorenz. “I was kind of hot with someone getting silly out there. I looked to see who was going to the Winners Circle and honestly didn't know I had won. Then they motioned me up there. I was thinking what happened to Jason(Batt). I never saw the white flag of checkers and thought I had gotten past Eric(Jones) but it was on the cool down lap.”

“I'm not afraid to rub with my teammates, but I give Robin(Batt) a lot of respect. She races me clean and she gives me room so I give her room back. She passed me twice off turn 2 and I was able to get back by in (turn) 4. I didn't really want contact and was surprised how much there was. That's racing I guess.”

“When you're gone for a long you realize that you've gotten slower and these other guys have gotten faster,” added Lorenz who has done a couple tours in the Middle East. “Now days, everything is driving off the right front. You've got to get the car to lay over. You soften it up to lay over on right side both in the I-stock and the Modified. Jason gave me the shock set up and I tried it for the first time and it was really good. You have to make the chassis work, hold the bottom and come off the corners straight. You can't go to the high side, bang the berm and throttle down like the old track. It's more about finesse now.”

Dan Corbin & Assoc. IMCA Stock Cars

97 Doug Lorenz

3 Robin Rasmussen-Batt

7 Pat Wilson

50 Matt Guillaume

771 Sam Sovey

20 Trevor Sparkman

489 Anthony Otken

T4 Tony Hamil

96 Richard Valentine

555 Taylor Merritt

9 Jason Batt

44 Ron Simpson

5 Paul Acosta

8 Buck Owens

84 Eric Jones---BF(Rough Driving)

181 Ray Kemp jr.---DNS

IMCA Stock Car heats

Heat 1

9 Jason Batt

84x Eric Jones

96 Richard Valentine

97 Doug Lorenz

771 Sam Sovey

T4 Tony Hamil

3 Robin Rasmussen-Batt

489 Anthony Otken

Heat 2

7 Pat Wilson

181 Ray Kemp jr

44 Ron Simpson

20 Trevor Sparkman

555 Taylor Merritt

50 Matt Guillaume

8 Buck Owens

5 Paul Acosta

Treats for Tschoerner in Street Stocks

Chad McLean grabbed the early lead at the start of the 15-lap, 17-car Street Stock Feature with AJ Dancer, Terry Tschoerner and Ronnie Ellis in tow. Te. Tschoerner got around Dancer for second, while Wade White drove by Edward Harcrow and Ellis for fourth. On lap 2 Duane Toyne, Ellis and Harcrow were three wide for fifth, as Toyne picked up the spot.

Te. Tschoerner put the heat on McLean looking low, while Toyne grabbed fourth from White. Te. Tschoerner ducked under McLean snaring the lead on lap 5. As the top three of Te. Tschoerner, McLean and Toyne began to check out, Ellis got fourth from White on lap 7. Te. Tschoerner got a scare on lap 12 when a lapped car made contact forcing him to the infield. Dancer almost snuck by but couldn't capitalize on the mishap.

Kevin Ashley took out Ellis from fifth, and promptly received the black flag while Ellis pulled off. Dancer's chance for a win ended when he broke and pitted in the final circuits. Te. Tschoerner took home TBS team bragging rights with the win in the Terry's Body Shop, Frontline Delivery, Randy's Wrecker Service, Taylor Auto Parts, Sweeny's Automotive, Chevy.

Goode Towing Street Stocks

01 Terry Tschoerner

13 Chad McLean

48 Duane Toyne

83 Dennis Simmons

27 Tommy Gural

22 Jack Jenkins

1 Kevin Finsley

68 Wade White

14 Joey Tschoerner

45 Chris Cockrell

30 Bobby Norton

3 Edward Harcrow

11 Tracy Tschoerner

52 AJ Dancer

214 Ronnie Ellis

36 Jacob Sakhnini

05 Kevin Ashley---BF(Rough Driving)

Street Stock heat winners;13 Chad McLean, 14 Ronnie Ellis, 52 AJ Dancer

Kemp a Killer for Hobby Honors

In the 15-lap Hobby Stock feature Ray Kemp jr. jumped out front with Joe Williams and Nathan Sodek side by side for second. Williams took the spot with Andy Roller moving along side N. Sodek for third. Williams had begun to look low on Kemp when Jamie Herring spun and got drilled by Jordan Kornegay. Despite the hard hit, both were able to drive away, but were done for the night.

Kemp jumped out briefly but slid too high giving Williams an opening to grab the top spot on lap 4. Roller got beside Kemp for second with N. Sodek and Charles Cosper door to door for fourth. Kemp was able to duck back under Williams and retake the point on lap 7. N. Sodek spun battling with Cosper to bring out a yellow.

Kemp got the jump on green as Roller passed Williams for second. Roller got inside Kemp on lap 12, but Kemp held on to the lead. The lead duo continued to slug it out as they both overdrove the corners. Roller gave Kemp one last try on the final lap, but it was Kemp in the Parks Family Buffet, Kirkpatrick Services, M&M Paint & Body, Affiliated Auto Glass, Chevy Nova scoring the victory.

IMCA Hobby Stock

45 Ray Kemp jr

63 Andy Roller

32 Joe Williams

33c Charles Cosper

60R Randy Sodek

3d Dylan Smith

14 Zach Riley

60 Nathan Sodek

03 Markiss Harcrow

23H Michael Hilliard

222 Jamie Herring

27J Jordan Kornegay

IMCA Hobby Stock heat winner; 45 Ray Kemp jr

Smith Slashes Twister Field

At the start of the 12-lap Texas Twister feature Shelby Ellsworth beat Austin Smith into turn 1, but slid high with Smith getting the point. Trailing Smith were Tommy Hultz, Don Krahn, Ellsworth and Daniel Wade. Hultz stayed on Smith's bumper getting a quick look as they diced through traffic.

Wade and Neil Powell battled for fifth until Powell had trouble and pulled off. Up front Smith stretched out his lead over Hultz easily going on to the win in the Smith Construction, Cullen-Dixon Trucking, Custom Transmissions, Grayson Trucking sponsored car.

Budweiser Texas Twister

313 Austin Smith

51 Tommy Hultz

17 Don Krahn

151 Shelby Ellsworth

911 Daniel Wade

233 Girard Heard

07x Brain Bagett

8 Jason Rickert

K1 Keith Desmariais

02 Neil Powell

56 Jacob Sakhnini