"Texas Trey" Mitchell finishes 5th in PASS South points

Trey Mitchell finishes fifth in PASS South Series points standings

Mooresville, North Carolina (October 23, 2010) - The consistency that the Trey Mitchell Racing camp has exemplified throughout the final half of the 2010 PASS South series season continued in the final race of the 2010 season at the Newport Speedway in Newport, TN on October 16. The twenty-one year old driver who hails from Wimberley, Texas, set the fifth fastest time during time trials and the piloted his #47 Magnum’s Oilfield Service Ford Fusion to a seventh place finish for his seventh top ten finish of 2010.

After the series mandatory redraw of the top ten qualifiers Mitchell would take the green flag from the pole. The #47 machine quickly settled into the second position after making several bids at the lead to conserve tire wear until the mandatory halfway break of the 200 event where teams were allowed to change two right side tires. Happy with the car the team made no changes to #47 machine during the break and resumed the runner up spot on the restart. Several cautions would fly creating “short runs” unlike the first half of the race where longer runs controlled the event.

The caution filled second half caused Mitchell’s car to loosen up and sent him back to the fifth position with forty-two laps remaining; the furthest back he’d ran all night. Crew chief Gary Crooks made the decision to bring the car in for changes in hopes of bringing new life to the Hamke racecar and that it did, but unfortunately time wasn’t on the team’s side and had to settle for a seventh place finish after coming from the rear of the field.

The closing laps for Mitchell were in fact pretty intense as he battled fellow competitor Heath Hindman whom he was tied for sixth with in the championship points standings prior to the event. A side by side battle to decide who would finish fifth in the series final standings would ensue. The Texas native was able to nip Hindman at the line to break the tie in his first ever season of championship points racing at the super late model level.

“We had an awesome racecar the first half of the race; I really think we were as good as Andy (Loden) I just didn’t want to make the same mistake I made at Hickory and burn up my tires too early in the race. We didn’t even make any changes to the car at the break we thought it was that good, but then we had a lot of yellow flags and the car started to loosen up on the short runs,” stated Mitchell. “We made the decision to go ahead and come in and give up fifth place to make a few changes and once we did the car was just as fast as it was in the first half. We just didn’t have enough time coming from the back to battle the guys for the lead. I was able to run Heath Hindaman down at the end to finish fifth in points so that was pretty cool because I thought our chances for that were out the window once we pitted. Overall it was good race and a good season for us.”

Stay tuned to www.treymitchellracing.com regarding off season developments for the Trey Mitchell Racing team as plans for 2011 are currently being developed. To be a part of the team in 2011 contact Chris Ragle with Tex Motorsports Marketing at 940-393-3167 to see how affordable it is to be a sponsor with one of the premier super late model teams in the country.

Archived