2011 Rules suggestions

abrungot

I agree with ya sportsmod...if you make the rules. The same for both tracks you could have a touring series without having to have a touring seires...just have a hmp champ a thr champ and combine both track points to make a texas state champ..abra kadabra. A cost effective touring series... I'll even sponsor the state champ trophy...wait....that's too easy to work....lol

add some corpus dates in there for all touring classes for some track variety. have dates at all the tracks for just those classes to put on one hell of a show like tida used to with the latemodels superstocks and pro sedans

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tracks could alternate the top classes so you don't have so many different classes all trying to run the same night all the time and gives people more of a variety without having a real late night.

Trucks could be top class at CC one week, while THR had the modifieds and Houston had the late models. The super stock would be nice to merge with the CC rules those classes could alternate as well.

The tracks could alternate the top classes so you don't have so many different classes all trying to run the same night all the time and gives people more of a variety without having a real late night.

Trucks could be top class at CC one week, while THR had the modifieds and Houston had the late models. The super stock would be nice to merge with the CC rules those classes could alternate as well.

I agree but the tracks would have to sit down and decide this. Dont know if that would happen. :(

one thing that would help the racing scene in texas as a whole would be making the "touring" series (late models pro mods trucks and sport mods) into an actual touring series that travels to the three tracks. the late model classes from tsrs and houston can be merged. and for those who say it can't be done tida made the differentt cars competitive with each other with weight breaks for stock clipped cars. with a little work to the rules it can be done. look at the stock car spectacular in 1995 that ervin brieton put on. there was super stocks with full stock frames running competitively with and some beating san antonio late models

Sorry Sportmod, the way it was is not going to happen anytime soon, again. Purses were better and car costs were less. TSRS tried to tour but towing half way across Texas for a $120 entry fee with only a $100 payout for starting is tough to draw any participation. As well, Mary Ann will tell you she loses money when TSRS races anywhere but Kyle so how is she supposed to host a touring series?(ask her yourself as this was from memory) As for Ford 27's suggestion to make TSRS into true supers, you mean Pro Late models right? What are we supposed to do with our TSRS/SA engines? Many of the TSRS cars are camaro clip cars as well as many of the cars(like mine)are older models, I don't think anyone can convert their TSRS car into a competitive Pro Late Model much less have the money to do so. And, it is not like HMP's payout is any better for obvious reasons(money is hard to comb by now) so the SA/Kyle drivers aren't going to be able to justify that tow easily.

my .02 because that is all I got

Todd

yeah i was brainstorming on that. have the top tier classes rotate and let the lower classes stay home on race weekends such as bombers front runners and texas thunders at CCS, mini stocks grand stocks and thunder stocks at THR, and banaleros and eco stocks at HMP. I know the CCS and THR super stocks could merge easily but how far off are the HMP pro stocks from the super stock classes? could they merge in as well?

First thing you would have to do to have all this track jumping work is Common Tires...

I know how much a houston trip costs every weekend, It would be hard to get local teams to pull from North Austin to CC once a month...

Agree on the common rules & that will open up the option..

If All the track could potentially be NASCAR, it would really add something to the Regional/State Champion Ships..

Forget that touring stuff, very few people can afford to or want do it on a regular basis. The race tracks are all in very different areas (especially economically) and need to have rules that benefit the track and the racers in that area.

As for Ford 27's suggestion to make TSRS into true supers, you mean Pro Late models right? What are we supposed to do with our TSRS/SA engines? Many of the TSRS cars are camaro clip cars as well as many of the cars(like mine)are older models, I

Todd

yep I ment pro lates...... I didnt think we were talking about making it all a touring series.I dont think that would work..I thought we were just talking about coming up with some weight breaks or penelties to help other tracks cars come and play. each track can make its own rules as it sees fit. ( for fun you would combine thr points with hmp points to have the " texas champ")only good for bragging rights

Common rules are the easiest way to keep car costs in check and increase car counts.Case in point,thre IMCA modifieds of the 90s.Almost every track used the IMCA rules so a car could race at any track.They got in trouble when they started allowing expensive parts and tracks started re-writing the rules as each track wanted.What needs to happen is a basic set of rules for every type of car and each track use them.Like the IMCA modified,prehaps IMCA has rules for pure stocks and super stocks.

It seems like there is no way to organize the tracks.Each has their own agendaEven the entry level cars like frontrunners are different at each track.Some use 6 cyls,some use standard trannites etc.

Common rules develops larger counts of the same car.Then they get traded,imported,exported,etc.

At RGS at one time they even had a hobby class that was made from old modifieds. All they did was add front fenders and a rules package that matched that class.There were pleanty of modifieds to be doners,Many were brought in from up north too.Common rules.Could this work for Super Stock cars too??

Forget that touring stuff, very few people can afford to or want do it on a regular basis. The race tracks are all in very different areas (especially economically) and need to have rules that benefit the track and the racers in that area.

Unfortunately, I think you hit the nail on the head. A few people have mentioned "touring" series in this thread that are not really touring series. I'll use trucks as an example - they have the opportunity to race at two tracks, but the two tracks run the truck class separately - no combined points or anything like that. The trucks are one of the regular bi-weekly classes at HMP, and that will mean 18 races next year. That is more than a full schedule for most people.

I agree that each track needs to do what they must to survive and thrive in their market. From what I can tell, that's exactly what they have been doing for the past few years.

Over the years the rules have been changed every year at every track. Not all the rules just a tweek here and a tweek there. Now we have so many differant rules. Even the cars that have been parked for a few years are set up under differant rules. There is no way (without spending a lot of $ on each car) all the cars in Texas can race at differant tracks or be brought back from storage. Its way beyond fixing. The only way a car can go race at a differant track on any given weekend is to start from scratch with a common set of rules that ALL the tracks and car owners agree to. And then there would have to be a way that those rules would not change for several years and only after everyone agreed to it. The only thing that can be done is to support YOUR local track every way you can and hope things improve. just my 2 cents but what do I know.

Actually I believe you CAN get all the cars legal under one set of rules.The trick would be to not put them under a microscope.Use a general set of rules like one page or 2 and only regulate the major componets.Tires,compression,vacuum,engine set back,minimum weight,rim width etc.

The problem with rules is having too many.Just regulate the important things and forget the details.

Chase.. I think you bring up a big point... "Co-op-etition"

One thing that Us as racers always do to a track is Threaten to stop racing, or go somewhere else.

One way that tracks can fight this is they have "Their" rules/Class.. and if they have things that aren't easy to convert or change.. then well the racer has limited options at that point. The Further a racer has to pull away from his home to the track, the more costly it is for him to race.

Another Example of "Co-op-etition"

The Trucks are a great example... Why has the asking Price of Most Built Trucks gone up? Because the Class is Growing in interest. Its not just what HMP & 360 Motorsports are doing in HMP, or What is happening at THR.. Its about the Racers that are in that class and what they are doing.

IMCA rules hold the tracks honest... its not just about a racer and his Need to race at that point... Its about Track Procedures & overall enviroment. IMCA doesn't tell Racers how much they will race for, the track does..

To this point these common rules can work for a track, just like they can work against a track.

In this case, i think common rules amoung tracks would work in its favor like said previously.. Build a Bigger Pool for all tracks to feed from. Pretty Soon someone is going to have to start building these trucks again... they are running out of already built trucks.

Keep the rules as close as possible at each track, Then when big events come.. They become BIG events!

Actually I believe you CAN get all the cars legal under one set of rules.The trick would be to not put them under a microscope.Use a general set of rules like one page or 2 and only regulate the major componets.Tires,compression,vacuum,engine set back,minimum weight,rim width etc.

The problem with rules is having too many.Just regulate the important things and forget the details.

OK...I like what your saying but what is it going to cost for these changes? There are a lot of cars that are parked from back when SAS was running. They couldnt afford to make the changes then...how they gonna do it now with things the way they are. Its easy for us to type a few words out on a form and say "Problem Solved" but in reality it not that easy. I really wish your way would work but I dont think it would but like I said before...what do I know?

My poinion comes from watching and racing open rule events like Heart of Texas Speedway is having this weekend.The only way to get a good car count is by letting the cars race as they are although many could not pass teck at anothers track.I did not see anyone with a great advantage.What changes would all these parked car need to be on the track again?

To have a lot of cars,include everybody.I believe it can be done but only a race director has the power to make it happen.

My poinion comes from watching and racing open rule events like Heart of Texas Speedway is having this weekend.The only way to get a good car count is by letting the cars race as they are although many could not pass teck at anothers track.I did not see anyone with a great advantage.What changes would all these parked car need to be on the track again?

To have a lot of cars,include everybody.I believe it can be done but only a race director has the power to make it happen.

Im really liking what your saying more and more but Im still convinced that it wont work for everyone or every track. Something like that might work for the first few races of the year then someone is going to start complaining or someone is going to figure out how to bend those rules then the track will almost have to make a rule change and it starts all over again. The only way it would work is if there was only 1 left in Texas or one person owned or operated all the tracks. Now thats something I havent thought of before.....have 1 person in charge of the rules. How about it Nick? Need a new job? :lol:

here's a suuggestion. have one open race at each track. hopefully get some sponsorship to put up some money for the purse. have a late model class mix tsrs and hmp. as well as the superstock and pro stock classes. and make some sort of incentive for the drivers to attend each race at each track

Papa your correct about rules changing as teams improve.Thats the cause of all the different types of cars.

How about an open class where you could run what you have but be restrictive on tires and weights.Anybody can asfford to downsize.Call it a run what you brung race,open to all cars that are similar and each track have a series like that.2 barrel carb,minimum weight,skinny tires.That is a way to get the parked cars going again.

Rules are racings worse enemy.Too political.Like our government.

Case in point, I have a limited late model, stock clip and have been looking for a way to run at THR for at least for a couple of years now. I have been watching the rules adjustments over the last couple of years and hoping that somehow a class would be created that would allow a limited late model with 602 or similar based engine package. Dont want to spend 8k+ to build a competitive TSRS motor and not sure my car would be competitive as it is very similar to the truck chassis but only with a stock car car body and ford 9". It has a Chevelle front clip and fabricated rear clip. I do think that a limited late model class, similar to the trucks, with a 602 or similar engine rule set would bring some cars out. Wont qualify for super stock because of I have weight jacks and aluminum & fiberglass Five Star body. I am running road coarse events with the car now and having a blast. Motor Sport Ranch and TWS eventes. Entry fees are expensive due to road course track rental however, less chance of crash damage and its more self paced and in a controled environment. I do miss the competition of circle track racing but I am holding my money until someone or a track comes up with a consistent rule set that will withstand time before I make the investment. I do like where the truck series is headed but live in DFW and that makes for a long haul to HMP. However, I have seen many trucks available on the market that will qualify for USST but not HMP rules.

Another topic to discuss:

Any chance the Thunderstocks might allow standard transmissions next year?

If you have a youngster that needs to learn to operate a clutch/gas pedal/brake, there is no better place than the race track in a race car with a cage. :lol: Only weekly class at THR is the Superstock. Mini's, Grand stocks, and Thunderstocks are all automatic.

Mel

Unfortunately, I think you hit the nail on the head. A few people have mentioned "touring" series in this thread that are not really touring series. I'll use trucks as an example - they have the opportunity to race at two tracks, but the two tracks run the truck class separately - no combined points or anything like that. The trucks are one of the regular bi-weekly classes at HMP, and that will mean 18 races next year. That is more than a full schedule for most people.

I agree that each track needs to do what they must to survive and thrive in their market. From what I can tell, that's exactly what they have been doing for the past few years.

On the Touring Series....If you run too many races, it will force driver's to choose one track or the other. As far as common rules....the Trucks again are the example. We run ONE set of Rules for EVERY track we can run.....HMP, THR, CCS.....

For the TSRS rules, a suggestion is to use the same tire as the Pro Modifieds and the Trucks.

Goodyear grooved slick 8"

Lots of proven durability for this tire. A set of new tires are not needed for each race to be competitive. Saves cost.

Very good suggestion.

Archived