Dumbest thing I've ever read

TheLegend96

Is this the dumbest thing you have ever read?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Is this the dumbest thing you have ever read?

• Absolutley the dumbest.
    • Dumb question, but good question.
    • I was kinda wondering myself.
    • He took the words right out of my mouth.

I know the member name sounds familiar but I dont think its him....lol

big_john

Since all tires lose air over a perior of time, the residue left behind is heavier. The lighter molecules pass through the porous rubber sidewall and leave all of the rest behind. Over a period of time, this residue can add weight to the inside of the tire.

How often does one purge (change) the air in the tires? With less residue in the tires, wouldn't it make sense that the mileage would increase due to the tires weighing less?

Thanks in advance, y'all.

Link to this site

Dumb Question

I think you should hydrogen or helium, instead of nitrogen, in your tires. Maybe your tire would have trouble staying on the ground and would start floating away.......... and you could drive the scale operators crazy at THR.

It all has to do with the "Ideas Gas Law"....... remember the Charles and Boyle's laws from your physics class?

And the laws of partial pressures......

Larry,

I think you should hydrogen or helium, instead of nitrogen, in your tires. Maybe your tire would have trouble staying on the ground and would start floating away.......... and you could drive the scale operators crazy at THR.

Hey, THR could start a Hydrogen Class. Set up helium plyons above the turns. No fair climbing to more that 25 feet off the track surface. Maybe you could be the chief tech for that division.

By the way, I am a huge proponent of hydrogen fuel. Not that I don't love our Middle-Eastern oil producing countries, it's just that I think we need to become energy independent from other countries, some of which dont' seem to care much for the good old USA.

Some facts about hydrogen*

1) Hydrogen is less flammable than gasoline. The self-ignition temperature of hydrogen is 550 degrees Celsius. Gasoline varies from 228-501 degrees Celsius, depending on the grade.

2) Hydrogen disperses quickly. Being the lightest element (fifteen times lighter than air), hydrogen rises and spreads out quickly in the atmosphere. So when a leak occurs, the hydrogen gas quickly becomes so sparse that it cannot burn. Even when ignited, hydrogen burns upward, and is quickly consumed. By contrast, gasoline and diesel vapors, as well as natural gas are heavier than air, and will not disperse, remaining a flammable threat for much longer.

3) Hydrogen is a non-toxic, naturally-occurring element in the atmosphere. By comparison, all petroleum fuels are asphyxiants, and are poisonous to humans.

4) Hydrogen combustion produces only water. When pure hydrogen is burned in pure oxygen, only pure water (H2O) is produced. Of course, that’s an ideal scenario which rarely occurs outside of laboratories and the space shuttle. When a hydrogen engine burns, it actually cleans the ambient air, by completing combustion of the unburned hydrocarbons that surround us. Compared with the toxic compounds produced by petroleum fuels, such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and hydrogen sulfide, the products of hydrogen burning are much safer.

5) Hydrogen can be stored safely. Tanks currently in use for storage of compressed hydrogen (similar to compressed natural gas tanks) have survived intact through testing by various means, including being shot with six rounds from a .357 magnum, detonating a stick of dynamite next to them, and subjecting them to fire at 1500 degrees F. Clearly, a typical gasoline tank wouldn’t survive a single one of these tests.

* From research conducted by Addison Bain, NASA and Roy McAlister, The Philosopher Mechanic and Jack Cox, author of the article "Will Hydrogen Bomb?" in the April 5, 2000 edition of The Denver Post.

Nick Holt

Kathy my Dear Friend,

You think I've got a bit too much stuff packed away in my noggin? Ha! Talk to SAS 2003 NASCAR Weekly Racing Series Champion Larry Bendele about hydrocarbons for a while. He heads up a whole department at Southwest Research Institute (Fuels division last time I checked). Or some day have a heart-to-heart discussion about Nuclear Fission with TPS competitor and motorsports writer Bruce Mabrito who heads up the Quality Assurance end at the same Institute.

And, Dudette, I do have a hobby - I'm a multiple linear regression freak... lol

Nick Holt

Archived