I-37 Speedway May 28 & 29

NeilTPS

I-37 Speedway holds a Memorial Two Night Event

Pleasanton, Texas -

As tribute to all fallen servicemen, I-37 Speedway will present a special Memorial Day Holiday weekend racing event this Friday and Saturday nights. The track will conduct a special two night racing program on May 28th and on May 29th.

A special purse of $1,500 will be paid to the Super Stock Feature Race winner on Saturday.

I-37 Speedway, the only San Antonio area oval holding races on the Memorial weekend.

The special event at I-37 Speedway will feature three racing classes on Friday night:

Super Stocks…Limited Late Models…Pure Stocks

On Saturday night, the second half Memorial event will feature three racing classes:

Super Stocks ($1,500 to win)…Pure Stocks…The Texas Mini Sprints

Heat and Feature Races will be held each night for each classification.

I-37 Speedway is a quarter mile oval dirt track located on the east side I-37 exactly 30 miles south of

the Interstate 37 and Loop 410 interchange.

Racing fans from San Antonio, Corpus Christi and other South Texas areas should take exit # 104 (Leal Road) proceed south on the east frontage road and follow the signs to I-37 Speedway.

Friday & Saturday gates will open at 4:00pm. The racing program starts at 8:30pm.

Regular I-37 Speedway Admission Prices (each race night):

Adult Grandstand - $ 10

Seniors 65 and older - $ 7

Competitors Pit Passes - $ 25

Children ages 7 to 11 years - $ 3

Children ages 6 and under - FREE

Maps and detailed I-37 racing information is available on www.I37speedway.com

or by calling the track phone at 210/534-1898 or the track office at 210/532-5421.

What happened to the $1500 Saturday Super Stock Feature? I heard it turned into a $400 Saturday Super Stock Feature promise. So far, some teams got a $0 Saturday Super Stock Feature. TOBA must have gotten advanced warning.

HRay I know you are buds with the 25's but lets not start any nonsense about not getting paid because everyone gets paid. The problem was is the pay out window is not going to stay open for 2-3 hours until everyone decides to leave the track so lets not say we did not pay people LETS SAY PEOPLE DID NOT GO GET THERE PAY IN TIME!!!!!

So Unless you know what you are talking about dont say anything. TOBA got advance warning that is not why TOBA did not come down. SO PLEASE DONT TALK CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy Guzman

I would like to clear up any confusion out there! TOBA had decided to not make the trip to I-37 this past weekend due to two reasons. One was the fuel prices that two weeks ago were climbing which did not go up as much as we thought it was but was still high enough. Secondly we had an overwhelming response with confirmations of cars coming and the series was paying for hotel rooms. We learned with alittle over a week til the race that we only had 14 rooms that would be ready and we needed an additional 16 rooms. After 4 days of calling every hotel francise from pleasington to suguin and not finding anything even close to our budget we decided with I-37 blessing it was best not make this trip at this time. By no means was I-37 ever negative nor a bad option for us. This was a decision that had economics all over it and TOBA trying to keep everyones pocket book concidered. We look forward to keeping our August date with I-37 and bringing our traveling road show then!

Sincerely Stephan - Director of TOBA

So Unless you know what you are talking about dont say anything. TOBA got advance warning that is not why TOBA did not come down. SO PLEASE DONT TALK CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy Guzman

HERE'S WHAT I DO KNOW. You can call it "talking crap" if you want, but these are the facts as I know them. Frank Torres called me late yesterday afternoon. I would classify the conversation as very confrontational. He said the pay out for the two 25's had been mailed to them because they did not come to the payout window before it closed. He said the track did not appreciate my negative comments on TSZ and they (whoever they is?) had even discussed getting an attorney to do something about it. I asked him if he was threatening me with legal action and he said it was not a threat, it was a promise.

Here's my beef with I37. On May 23rd the anouncement of the Memorial Day race was officially posted on TSZ, although it had been discussed in other threads prior to that date. Shortly after that date TOBA pulled out making a large dent in potential car count. I37 did not have enough corporate sponsors (according to Frank) to pay the full purse so they were depending on car count to be able to pay it. In my opinion, at that point they should have reevaluated the payout and announced adjustments in the purse (possible even graduated according to car count). They decided to go with the announced purse. On fri. nite the car count was definitely too low to pay the purse, yet they still chose to continue to sat nite with the advertised purse. Sat. several new cars showed up that were not able to make it fri nite, but the car count was still not enough to pay the advertised purse. Keep in mind, there were opportunities to change the advertisement during this period that would have allowed teams to decide if they wanted to make the pull and race; even up to sat. morning. Instead the track decided to leave the purse as advertised until the driver's meeting sat. nite. At that time the teams were told the purse was to be reduced ($400 to win instead of $1500) and if they did not want to race for the new purse their entry would be refunded. Those that chose to stay and race would not get any reduction in entry fee even though the top prize was being cut by over two thirds. Naturally, the majority of the teams decided to stay and race (what else would you do if you had already made the pull? A considerable cost for some teams).

In our conversation, Frank stated it was a choice of paying the advertised purse and not being able to open the following week or paying a reduced purse and racing the following week. What a sad commentary for the status of dirt racing in South TX. In my opinion the racers were taken advantage of for the benefit of the track. Honorable men and businesses would have made the payout one way or another, and learned a valuable lesson for future races.

What the tracks need is our support so that they don't close. Negative comments only make things worse. Helping to advertise that there was a problem with car count isn't support. Frank tried to put on a show but nobody was interested. He'll bounce back. If this dirt track closes it leaves some of us with one option, asphalt. By the way, everyone that went to the pay window before the lights went out that we were with got paid no problem.

I have just deleted a post in this thread that was intended to bash I-37 and its management.

If further bashing takes place in this thread I will be closing the thread.

Thanks for your cooperation as we attempt to keep TSZ relatively bash free.

Nick Holt

Nick... where does the line between truth and bashing begin? The truth is the only thing that will help promote racing. Hray only stated the truth, I am not sure what was in the post you deleted, maybe it was bashing... I have been to several big shows that were advertised only to make it to the drivers meeting or pay window to here some sob story.... When a track advertises a pay they should pay it... they can not change their mind when things dont work out... I can not show up at a big race, run the heat race, then decide I dont have a chance and ask for my money back... I personally like to know when tracks do this to racers so the next time I do go to their track I can expect to go home empty handed. Like eariler this year we went to bellmead, and knowing their history we were not worried about money, and sure enough they made bad calls and we went home without our money, but with message boards like this I was able to make a judgement on whether or not to attend. All I am saying is please dont delete posts just because they might make someone look bad, because if it is the truth then it is not bashing.. Now on I37... sounds like they made a mistake, Frank is a good guy and I am sure he learned from this whole deal and I am sure I37 will be fine... we all make mistakes and there is nothing wrong with that.... AJ

The only issue I have is Hray is stating alot of his opinions regarding TOBA and a possible problem TOBA caused by pulling out. Hray does not know any details regarding TOBA or I-37 and why drivers didnt come for this race. Hell nobody does. I can understand posting your opinion but you are not in a position to voice anything regarding TOBA. It is a different class, other then me bring my street stock maybe 1 other car might have participated from our group due to both features being raced on the same night. Cry all you want about what the situation caused for you personally but dont goat rope everything else into you posts to make it seem like you know more than you do. TOBA generates its own purse it is not payed by the track nor its sponsors. Unlike Houston you guys cant afford to get on here and close down the only track you have in your area otherwise your racing travel budget just went through the roof. From personal experience Frank and his staff have been very professional and like me dont have all the answers. I have had teams and sponsors step up and help our series when needed but it took communicating to them. Fortunately some of these drivers and teams took it upon themselves to help and make a difference instead of bitching about something later. This is all that needs to happen there. They have put too much effort and money to upgrade this track and give it a place for everyone to enjoy for a few to kill it. Good Luck Frank and if anyone else needs information regarding TOBA then please ask TOBA and note make assumptions.

As an addition to my last post I dont think the suprise in the pits for the drivers was correct or fair. I am not condoning what happened by any means. But everyone has to see how hard these guys have worked and they are entitled to making mistakes like anyones else. I know what it feels like to cover a purse with your own money. Thank godness this is not normal but things do happen. I think a bumper sticker says it best, " Sh_t Happens!" Just dont get any on ya! Dont be afraid to talk to Frank between everyone you can turn it around very easy!

Shortly after that date TOBA pulled out making a large dent in potential car count. I37 did not have enough corporate sponsors (according to Frank) to pay the full purse so they were depending on car count to be able to pay it.

________________________________________________________________________________

_____

TobaGuy,

This is all I said about TOBA, and this is what Frank told me. So tell us where he's wrong.

My beef is not with TOBA. As I stated, my beef is with the decision of the track to wait until sat. at the drivers meeting to announce a change in the purse while the ad on this website still said $1500 to win. In fact, to this day it still says $1500 to win. Maybe I should give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they don't know you can edit these posts. But I don't think that is the case since their latest post regarding free entry for armed services personell was posted at 8:45 PM and edited at 10:06 PM.

So, whatever happened to truth in advertising? Actually, it's probably not fair to make that statement since they were probably hoping to get the car count. By fri. nite though, the idea should have entered someones mind that they might not get the car count and that they might not be able to pay the advertised purse. It would have been helpful at that point to have, at the very least, posted on TSZ that the purse may have to be reduced, allowing teams to make the decision whether to tow or not. Also, teams that were there fri. nite should have been warned. And thirdly, it is my opinion that if the purse was reduced, the entry fee should have been reduced proportionally.

You said you've had to cover purses out of your own pocket. I know other race promoters in this area that have done the same thing. Unfortunately this track chose to take a different route.

hray, just a question...

You seem to be saying that yFrank should have announced the lower payout earlier. If that lower payout was based on car count, which I believe it was, how could the lower payout be announced earlier? If Frank can know the car count the night before the races, I want to talk to him about my lottery numbers.

But then, I could be way off base on this. Wouldn't be the first time...

Rosie

ok hray,since you want to keep going on the same issue of whay i should have done but did not i will say that i should have done some things different,but i talked to ALL the drivers there and put 100% of the entry into the purse with the backing of the drivers in the class.i also let them know that they could get there money back 100%..but i guess i should have checked with you first,since you always come on here to let me know what i should have done.you always say (WHAT I HEARD),and you post things that are in left field.if i posted on here what i heard and not fact then heads would turn,but i am not into the bash b.s....i work hard for the drivers and fans,i did offer to step down after i got tired of the time spent on a race that did not go well,but the friends that know i love the sport and work hard for it let me know we have had some great races with a car count that

is way up.fan count is growing.and that there will always be FLAKES in life.....

If that lower payout was based on car count, which I believe it was, how could the lower payout be announced earlier? If Frank can know the car count the night before the races, I want to talk to him about my lottery numbers.

Rosie,

He DID know the car count fri. nite and still let teams tow in sat. thinking they were going to get $1500 to win!

Frank,

You won't find "WHAT I HEARD" anywhere in my posts. That's because I posted what actually happened or what you told me happened. If you told me something different than what actually happened then shame on you.

I believe the honorable thing to do would have been to pay the advertised purse and take your lumps. Close the track the next week (like you told me you would have had to do), or go get a loan, or go get sponsors for the next week, or take up a collection, or everyone at the track involved in the decision pool their money, or whatever it takes to live up to your word and maintain your honor. Being confrontational and avoiding the real issue (You didn't pay the advertised purse) isn't going to get it. You may be a great guy and really love racing and racers, but bottom line, you didn't do what's right.

If believing you should 'Do What's Right' is being a FLAKE, then I'm a FLAKE.

hray May 30 2004, 09:03

What happened to the $1500 Saturday Super Stock Feature? I heard it turned into a $400 Saturday Super Stock Feature promise. So far, some teams got a $0 Saturday Super Stock Feature. TOBA must have gotten advanced warning.

I believe it says I HEARD. Just keeping everybody honest here!

Guest RandyBorlace

All I have to say is, it is never known exactly how many cars you are going to expect, from what I heard, 13 started the qualifier friday night, Don't hold me to it, as I was at the hospital after hitting the wall, but as i saw saturday more cars rolled in (both 25's , 64) Ideally with only 15 or so super stocks, the purse should have been cut, because a full field is really 24 cars. This isn't a bash to anyone on here, it's just the truth, in the mods, the more cars there is, the better the purse, but with a super stock count of about 15 he had every right to cut the purse... No one on here can't say Frank doesn't work hard at that track either, it may not look as good as some of the other tracks, appearance wise, but look at all the work that HAS been done, bathrooms and new stands, a new concession stand, the old shack in the back knocked down etc.... he is out there all week watering and working on it, give him some credit. I am out there by 1 every raceday too, but it's just for the love of the sport.

Since Frank has taken over 37 the car count has gone up greatly,from 10-13 mods last year to a steady 20 or more this year,Frank has done a great come back on this track.Hot stocks/super stocks what ever you want to call them are just not plentyfull...that means not many,lol,lol, around these parts,it has grown like all the other classes,but on a race that didnt pan out doesnt crusify the man,hell,look at the Turkey shoot out last year,great success,Frank....they all dont work out 100 %,This wasnt no Belmead deal,it just didnt work out.Support the track and go race and enjoy dirt racing in the S.A. area.And Frank has done a great turn around on a dying track for yall to race at...support it...

Archived