Db ratings

Mel

Most of the THR teams have done an outstanding job on quieting their cars down. Some of the Street Stocks were down in the 93-94 dB range and most were in the 95-96 dB range. Even a few of the THR Late Models were down in the 94 range while most were right at the 96 dB limit. The Hobby Stocks didn't have anyone close to the limit. I think 94 was as loud as any of them got.

I am using two different dB meters at two different points along the back straight. I am also taking laps times during practice and during races just to make sure I have a good baseline for each car. In the future, all "solo noise" lap times will be compared to those baseline times. Slowly, but surely some of the loopholes are being plugged.

I think most THR teams touring series teams are well aware that THR is very serious about being good neighbors to our neighbors to the north.

Nick Holt

Tom,

Who are the neighbors to the North, why the db meters?  Just Wondering, Talkin in Corpus On Saturdays, dont make it to other tracks to see...

Several older threads have more or less addressed your questions, but let me briefly fill you in.

Just to the north of Thunder Hill Raceway, there is a street that takes off from the I-35 North access road that sports a couple dozen mobile homes. maybe more. Several of our neighbors who live there have had issues with the noise that is generated from the track and the city of Kyle has become involved to some degree I know, I know. Questions like who was there first and what about the noise from I-35 seem important here, but the fact is the neighbors do live there and the track does make lots of noise.

So, the track has agreed to limit the noise to some sort of noise standard - in our case 96dB at 100 feet for each individual car. This rule apparently mirrors a DOT rules for vehicles using the Federal and State highway system, although I have not seen a copy of those DOT regulations myself. We have also agreed to explore the possibility of errecting some sort of sound barrier and are actively exploring options.

So, THR has two dB meters that we use to measure the level of noise from each car that runs at the track -- this rule also applies to the various touring series that race at the track.

Hope this helps to answer your questions.

Nick Holt

Thanks Nick,

Now I understand why.....always heard of neighbors from the north...and never knew who they were...

Atleast it aint like some airports...with neighbors, gotta lower the sound level so much, can barely stay in air, when landing taking off...remember hearing something 'bout that a few years ago...

Tom Creacy

CCMS Announcer

TCreacy@stx.rr.com

Archived