Blown Alcohol and mud don't mix!

badsonic

Great observation Kathy! I too saw that and also immediatly thought he was checking for the mechanical cut offs (his body language makes me think he was a crew member of the car and thus familiar with it). However note he got there well after the orange shirt - who DID go straight to the driver. I think my response would be much the same - once I knew my driver waas attended to I would not want to be in their way and my focus would then shift to the car.

I am rather concerned about something else tho. No one that approached the car flame checked (at least that I could see). Alchohol burns with an invisible flame. In one of my training classes they showed the result of not flame checking. A crew member (non safety team) for a sprint car that had just wrecked bad, ran up to his driver's window and stuck his head in. Unfortunately the car was fully engulfed and the crewman literally erupted into flames before he realized this important fact. As the car in this vid was alchohol fueled A) trained personnel in full fire dress should have responded - not the crewmen (or anyone else in t-shirts) or B ) the folks approaching (sometimes you do what ya gotta) should have flame checked by tossing a rag, paper (which would erupt) or water (which would steam) ahead of em.

Ok, after watching again, it does look like he turned something off maybe or was checking something. But the guy in the orange shirt, please tell me that's not a cigarette in his mouth. He is the one that went from the front of the car to the back of the car and the guy in the white shirt kinda met up with.

please tell me that's not a cigarette in his mouth.

I wish I could but A) the video is not clear enough and b ) I think you are right - he appears to flick it away as he stands back from the cockpit!

As the car in this vid was alchohol fueled A) trained personnel in full fire dress should have responded - not the crewmen (or anyone else in t-shirts)

Yeah did you see the last couple of seconds of the video the last guy to arrive was the only guy with the fire extinguisher handy. INCREDIBLE

And did yall notice the nice roll bar padding this driver had around him. He's liucky he didn't crack his helmet in half. WOW

I went to mud drag last summer - they had no rules on fuels, safe tech consited of verifying a seat belt (most were just stock lap belts) and fans were all over the place - I watched a 10 - 12 yo girl stand at the end of the mud pit to video the truck oncoming. I did not see any one with any safety gear ready to respond - the only concern the promotor seemed to have was collecting the money. I left after watching one team mix all kinda stuff in a gas can and dump it in the truck. I value my skin too much to risk it for cheap thrills.

Are you sure he wasn't just thumbing a ride with the ambulance?

Or yelling "fire's back there guys" while pointing with his thumb?

The driver was not really in the best position to assess the scene so I don't know how qualified a thumbs up is - but it is always good to see the driver alert and responsive as a competent first responder assess the scene.

Archived