Who wants to buy a race track?

wheelchair49

So sad to see the old gal looking like that. Turned my first asphalt lap there back in 1975 or 1976 when Ricci Ware ran the place as Paramount Austin Speedway.

Nick

That was a long,long time ago. LOL :lol:

So sad to see the old gal looking like that. Turned my first asphalt lap there back in 1975 or 1976 when Ricci Ware ran the place as Paramount Austin Speedway.

Nick

Would've like to have seen that Nick, but I was -8 at that time...

-Tim

Sometimes some of the drivers from corpus would race there and dad would take us to go watch. I remember how different that track looked compared to ccms. Dad always said it was as flat as a pancake. I wonder how much banking it had?

Nick

That was a long,long time ago. LOL :lol:

That's because Nick is older than dirt.....

Hey Nick,

when did the name change to speed-o-rama? I thought is was about that time.

txtom can give you the exact date, but it was renamed the year after Ricci Ware shut down Pan American Speedway and Paramount Austin Speedway. I guess that would have been 1977 or 1978.

Nick

Ricci Ware closed Speedorama after about 5 or 6 race nights in early 1976. Lack of cars resulted in lack of fans.

It was reopened in 1977 under different management and the Austin Speedorama name.

I have the info at home, but it is buried in a pile of stuff right now. I am in the middle of building my "Man-Cave", and all that stuff is put away. I'll see if I can easily find it tonight.

I also remember Alvin Stewart changed the name to Longhorn Speedway when he took over the reigns in the 80's.

Pan-American, as we know, soldiered on until the end of the 1978 season.

Nick

I think I lapped you in that race! ;)

I did the same kind of diggin a couple of years ago Papa. The band aid trust is held by Sandra Bullock's attorney. The address on 6th street is a building that she owns through her production company.

You had to go 5 or 6 layers deep to find out that indeed Sandra Bullock and Jesse James owned the property. I'm not sure what the grand plan was but they didn't want anyone to find out that they owned it. At least publicly.

Archived