White, Painter, Wilson Sodek take IMCA wins @ Texas Thunder 7/10/10

Texas Thunder Speedway, 7/10/10

By J M Hallas

Killeen, Tx.,(July 10th, 2010) Once again Texas Thunder Speedways ¼ mile high-banked dirt oval dodged Mother Nature being of one of only a couple tracks getting racing in Saturday night. The newly redone pit area was full with around 130 cars in seven classes that included an impromptu debut for the IMCA Hobby Stocks.

The regular classes, IMCA Modifieds, Southern Sportmods and Stock Cars, Street Stocks, Dwarf Cars and Texas Twisters filled the remainder of the nights racing card.

Despite all the heavy rains over the past two weeks, promoter David Goode had the surface groomed well and the track held together providing and promoting plenty of side by side racing action, quick lap times and exciting action.

White hits it right for (another) IMCA Modified win

Current National points leader, Keith White overcame early adversity, hit the set-up when it counted and “schooled” the field in the 20-lap IMCA Modified main. White, who was relegated to the B-main after breaking a fuel pump belt while leading his heat easily took the B-main checkers leaving him with the lucky 13th starting spot. The A-main saw White able to run around the bottom better than anyone else as he marched to the front. Once White got by leader GW Egbert school was out as he eased away to he checkers.

The 20-car Modified Main got off to a rocky start with Allen Waltermire and GW Egbert jumping out front. Scooter Bates, Ben Ketteman and Benji Kirkpatrick tried three wide for third but Ketteman and Kirkpatrick hooked bumpers in turn 4. As Ketteman broke free he got sideways in front of the field causing a freeway back up that collected Justin Radcliff, Rick Green and Dewayne Grantham, among the many sustaining body damage.

The second start was cleaner as Waltermire and GW Egbert battled side by side for the point. Waltermire edged ahead at the line to lead lap 1 with Kirkpatrick, Chase Jupe and Bates in tow. Bates nearly stopped in turn 3 on the first circuit with White grabbing an early top five spot. GW Egbert continued to challenge Waltermire for the lead, while White got along side and by Jupe for fourth on lap 4.

Waltermire slipped high on lap 5 in turn 4 giving up the lead to GW. Egbert and falling back to fifth. White picked off second from Kirkpatrick on lap 7 and was quickly on GW Egbert for the lead. White dove inside GW Egbert and put a picture perfect slide job on the leader getting off turn 2 to get out front. The pass was negated when Robert Black got hung on the side of Ketteman to bring out the yellow.

On the restart White again ducked low in turn 1 getting along side GW Egbert on the back stretch. White eased ahead coming to halfway with GW Egbert. Kirkpatrick, Jupe and Waltermire still holding the top five spots. Yellow also waved on lap 10 after Trevor Egbert, Doug Lorenz and Jimmy Don Summerour got tangled in turn 4 and Black rolled to a stop in turn 1.

Once back to green White got a huge jump, while Kirkpatrick took a peek under GW Egbert for second. As they battled for the runner up spot White increased his advantage. With five to go White was cruising away from GW Egbert, Kirkpatrick and Jupe who had a gap to Waltermire, with Bates and Hardy Henderson swapping sixth.

As White came to the white flag he had built a full straightaway margin over the second place scrum. Bates spun to the infield in his fight with Henderson falling out of the top ten. At the checkers it was White adding yet Texas Thunder trophy to his impressive collection piloting the Traceys Auto Sales, Braka Operating, TCI, Craftmasters Power Coating, Tubbs Paint & Body, D&S Painting, Belton Metals, Amsoil, Cen-Tex Motorsports powered Hughes Chassis

“It's never easy,” replied White. “I thought I was going to have to pass GW(Egbert) a few more times. I figured he'd get his(car) to turn in better on the bottom after I got under that one time. After talking to him he was just too tight. I loosened mine up more because I knew the track as going to come to me on the bottom.”

“I was lucky the belt broke on the last lap of the heat, not the first lap in the feature. I really thought my car would be better than most if they tightened theirs up too much. I could get in(the corner) better than they could. So if there was 'a plan' that was probably it.”

“In the national points battle both (David) Murray and I have our 30 races in. So that comes into play now. I only get two races a week in and he can get four or five so it comes down now to wins. He has 20 and I have 16. No doubt he's tough and fast. He's come down here and blasted us at Boyd and Kennedale.”

Dodge Country IMCA Modifieds

1 Keith White

717 GW Egbert

47 Benji Kirkpatrick

303 Chase Jupe

555 Allen Waltermire

63 Hardy Henderson

3j Brad Jordan

9 Pat McGuire

23c Chris Elliott

97 Doug Lorenz

20 Mike McCarthy

115 Jimmy Don Summerour

52 Ken Old

37 Ben Ketteman

29 Keith Tibbetts

12 Scooter Bates

78 Trevor Egbert

07 Robert Black

11j Justin Radcliff

82 Rick Green

27g Dewayne Grantham

IMCA Modified B-main(Top 8 to A-Main)

1 Keith White

20 Mike McCarthy

63 Hardy Henderson

52 Ken Old

115 Jimmy Don Summerour

23c Chris Elliott

82 Rick Green

27g Dewayne Grantham

19 George Lamphere

69 Kirk Martin

44s Joe Spillman

29 Keith Tibbetts

63j Jake Henderson

43m Steven MacIsaac

247 Bill Lecompte

IMCA Modified heats(Top 3 to A-Main)

Heat #1

47 Benji Kirkpatrick

78 Trevor Egbert

9 Pat McGuire

20 Mike McCarthy

43 Steven MacIsaac

52 Ken Old

27g Dewayne Grantham

Heat #2

12 Scooter Bates

97 Doug Lorenz

11j Justin Radcliff

19 George Lamphere jr

247 Bill Lecompte

29 Keith Tibbetts

23 Chris Elliott

Heat #3

555 Allen Waltermire

717 GW Egbert

3j Brad Jordan

63 Hardy Henderson

15 Jimmy Don Summerour

63j Jake Henderson

69 Kirk Martin

Heat #4

37 Ben Ketteman

303 Chase Jupe

07 Robert Black

1 Keith White

82 Rick Green

44s Joe Spillman

Painter posts Sportmod victory in final lap thriller

Veteran Don Painter again showed his versatility taking his third IMCA Southern Sportmod win on dirt. Painter ,who also has wins this season at Thunder Hill Raceway(Kyle) a 3/8 mile, semi-banked paved track, got the lead from Albert Wininger early then held off a late charge from Sid Kiphen to grab the win in the Browning Auto Parts, CCR of Texas, Bennett Automotive, Big Chief Chassis

As green waved on the 14-car IMCA SSM main Albert Wininger got a big jump into turn 1 to lead the opening circuit with Wade White and Painter wheel to wheel for second. In the pack National points leader, Keith White was in a three wide battle with Mark McDaniel and Benny Fajkus for sixth. Painter got the spot on lap 1 and was pressuring Wininger for the lead on lap 2, while McDaniel moved up to fourth.

Painter snared the point on lap 3 with McDaniel getting by W. White for third and Sid Kiphen following to fourth. Wininger slowed and pitted just as the yellow waved for debris off K. White's car, who was charged with the caution and sent to the tail. Painter got a good restart leaving McDaniel and Kiphen side by side for second which Kiphen got on lap 6.

At halfway it was Painter,Kiphen, McDaniel, Randy Doyle and W. White in the top five, with Doyle, W. White, Sarah Goode and Ronnie Welborn all scrapping it out for fourth. Kiphen ran down Painter for the lead and the fight was on. Kiphen took several looks on Painter, but to no avail. On the final lap Painter and Kiphen came up on traffic. Painter was forced high, Kiphen chose low as they split the slower cars. Painter, with the momentum up top, held off Kiphen to eke out the win by maybe two feet at the line.(.082 was the official margin of victory)

“The track was good and fast tonight,”explained Painter. “We hit the set up just right. This car is part of it too. This new Big Chief Chassis has been fast since I got it”

“I knew I had to go hard with all good competition, like Keith(White) and Randy(Doyle) out there behind me. I really don't look or worry about who's coming behind me until they get there. I just try to hit my line. Running my line almost got me in trouble at the end.”

“I knew someone was behind me near the finish, but didn't know who it was. I could hear them back there and saw the bumper. That lapped car was tough to pass. I think my momentum on top was what helped me. I was just trying to get to the line first. The bottom was good and you could pass down here, but I think the top was better.”

Danny's Transmissions IMCA Southern Sportmods

10D Don Painter

58 Sid Kiphen

11 Mark McDaniel

65 Randy Doyle

68 Wade White

13g Sarah Goode

20 Ronnie Welborn

8 Jared Rady

2 Benny Fajkus

05 Dennis Purrington

31 Robert Garcia

1 Keith White

40 Albert Wininger

224 Mike McDougal

IMCA SSM heats

Heat #1

65 Randy Doyle

20 Ronnie Welborn

10D Don Painter

13g Sarah Goode

2 Benny Fajkus

31 Robert Garcia

Heat #2

11 Mark McDaniel

58 Sid Kiphen

40 Albert Wininger

1 Keith White

68 Wade White

8 Jared Rady

05 Dennis Purrington

“Good ol' Mr. Wilson” with wire to wire I-Stock win

It was short people to the front(inside joke) as former Texas Thunder promoter Pat Wilson took his second IMCA Stock Car win of the year. Wilson, who started on the front row, lead every circuit of the 20-lapper holding off a late charge from teammate Jason Batt to sweep the I-Stock evening driving the Kwik Kar Oil & Lube, Reds BBQ, Hoffmans Fabrication, Anytime Childcare, Brenda Wilson-Caldwell Banker, Fred Garvin Machine Shop, homemade chassis.

Wilson out-gunned the polesitter for the lead as green flew on the 19-car field. Mark Dean, Richard Valentine and Mike McCarthy along side Daniel Shipler followed Wilson on lap 1. As Dave Meadows ran side by side with Shipler for fifth, Robin Rasmussen-Batt, Jason Batt and Matt Guillaume were three wide for ninth. After J. Batt got the position, Eric Jones moved in keeping them three wide for tenth.

Valentine got inside Dean, while McCarthy got hung behind a slower car giving way to Meadows for fourth. J. Batt, on his way to the front, then got beside McCarthy for fifth. At the crossed flag it was Wilson, Dean and Valentine side by side for second, J. Batt, Meadows, with Jones and McCarthy door to door for sixth. J. Batt got by Dean and Valentine as Jones moved in on Meadows.

Valentine checked up in turn 3 and got tagged by Meadows who had nowhere to go, both motored on without caution. J. Batt methodically closed in on Wilson for the lead giving him a tap on the bumper with five to go. Behind the lead duet, Jones and McCarty had their own fight for third. J. Batt showed Wilson the nose on a couple occasions but Wilson held him off. On the last lap J. Batt gave Wilson one final look, while Jones finally got third from McCarthy. At the line it was Wilson by a car length over J. Batt for the win.

“I got out front at the start,” said the always humorous Wilson. “I know I started up there, but still. I saw him(Jason Batt) and that blue fender down there. I knew he'd cut me a little slack, but I wasn't going to give him anything so I knew I was going to win it. Jason is/was leading the nation in points and I kicked his butt! So there. That's all I have to say about that.”

“We go racing to have a good time. Even when I go to another track I'm just another driver, not former promoter. I don't get any preferential treatment, unless it's maybe negative. They love to put a dent in the promoters car. ”

“The track now is totally different than when I was doing it. He(David Goode) has done a lot with this track to make it nicer. It's better than when I had it. I may have gotten a lot of laps on this track, but it was on the grader not in a racecar. I can beat anyone in a grader on this track. A racecar is a different deal.”

Dan Corbin & Assoc. IMCA Stock Cars

7 Pat Wilson

9 Jason Batt

84x Eric Jones

20 Mike McCarthy

69 Kirk Martin

99d Mark Dean

74 Dave Meadows

24d David Dunn

88 Brian Mendenhall

3 Robin Rasmussen-Batt

20 Trevor Sparkman

50 Matt Guillaume

98 Peter Delevan

96 Richard Valentine

29 Ray Tinkey

4 Ken Plonsky

43 Jesse James Cox jr

555 Taylor Merritt

38 Daniel Shipler

IMCA Stock Car heats

Heat #1

7 Pat Wilson

74 Dave Meadows

88 Brian Mendenhall

4 Ken Plonsky

20 Trevor Sparkman

29 Ray Tinkey

Heat #2

3 Robin Rasmussen-Batt

9 Jason Batt

96 Richard Valentine

20 Mike McCarthy

43 Jesse James Cox

555 Taylor Merritt

Heat #3

38 Daniel Shipler

99D Mark Dean

50 Matt Guillaume

24d David Dunn

98 Peter Delevan

69 Kirk Martin

Sodek sweeps inaugural Hobby Stock honors

Nathan Sodek took both the heat and feature wins in the first ever IMCA Hobby Stock feature at Texas Thunder. Sodek got the top spot from early leader Jaron Shahan then had to fend the charge from Andy Roller late in the 15-lap event.

Thirteen cars took the historic green for the Hobby Stock feature with Shahan beating Roller into turn 1 for the lead. Sodek moved along side on lap 1 with the duo door to door for the lead on lap 2 followed by Roller, Billy Taylor and Michael Votaw. Sodek edged past Shahan for the point on lap 3 while Dustin Mims moved past Taylor for fourth.

Roller got under Shahan for second on lap 4 getting the spot on lap 5 and looking under Sodek for the lead. Quentin Noel brought out the only yellow on lap 6 with a solo spin. On the restart Sodek left Roller and Shahan side by side for second. Roller secured the spot with Mims getting third from Shahan on lap 8. Taylor and Shahan then ran side by side for fourth while Votaw and Michael Gaunet were door to door for sixth.

With five to go Roller turned up the heat on Sodek showing the nose inside coming off turn 4. Roller then moved up top coming off turn 2 getting along Sodek. Sodek held off that challenge after two laps of side by side action. Roller then dove back to the bottom and gave Sodek his best shot on the final lap. Sodek, in the Quality Tile, Donut Designs, Mikes Muffler, Cen-Tex Motorsports, Terry Butler, X-Factor Race Engines, Destroyer Chassis held off Roller to score the win

“I really have to thank Keith(White),” commented Sodek. “He was the one that helped let me know which line to run. He's got thousands of laps around here so I took his advice, ran the bottom and it took me to Victory Lane. We used our Kennedale set up on the car and it seemed to work real good.”

“I saw Andy(Roller) on the inside and outside a couple times. My power steering pumped out all the fluid so I had to drive without power steering since the second lap. I wasn't planing on coming down tonight but Donut(Kenneth Drake) talked me into it. I'm glad we did now.”

IMCA Hobby Stocks

60 Nathan Sodek

63 Andy Roller

818 Dustin Mims

33j Jaron Shahan

29 Michael Votaw

25 Michael Gaunet

33c Charles Cosper

32 Joe Williams

46 Billy Taylor

63z Zach Henson

3x Quentin Noel

18 Jeremy Hendrix

23 Michael Hilliard

25 Michael Gaunet

IMCA Hobby Stock heats

Heat #1

60 Nathan Sodek

32 Joe Williams

63 Andy Roller

33j Jaron Shahan

18 Jeremy Hendrix

33c Charles Cosper

Heat #2

46 Billy Taylor

25 Michael Gaunet

3x Quentin Noel

818 Dustin Mims

29 Michael Votaw

63z Zach Henson

23 Michael Hilliard

Carmen captures another Street Stock scramble

Tony McPherson sr. was first into turn 1 to lead the 20-car, 20-lap Street Stock feature. In the pack Kevin Ashley and Gary Norman got hooked but broke free in the infield. Following McPherson sr. were Gene Burnett, Tim Fasano, Dennis Simmons and Duane Toyne. Paul Kohl and Tim Carmen jr. got fifth and sixth from Toyne on lap 3. A pair of side by side battles were going up front with Simmons and Fasano for third, as Kohl and Carmen went at it for fifth. Simmons got the spot with Carmen on his tail for fourth.

That duo then charged by Burnett for second and third , but a straightaway behind the leader, McPherson sr. Burnett, Fasano and Gary Norman tangled in turn 4 on lap 8, with Burnett going around in turn 2 on lap 9 collecting teammates, Toyne and Terry Tschoerner to bring out a yellow. On the restart Carmen wasted little time powering by both Simmons and McPherson sr. for the lead coming to halfway.

As Carmen began to distance himself from the field Simmons, McPherson sr. Norman and Kohl battled for second. Simmons picked off second from McPherson sr on lap 13 followed by Norman to third. In the pack Tschoerner was working his way back up taking sixth from Kevin Finsley then fifth from Danny Dunn.

McPherson sr. gave up a top five spot when he spun from fourth on lap 16, but continued without caution. With Carmen comfortably out front Norman was challenging Simmons for second. Norman squeezed by on the last lap while Carmen in the Hanks Tire & Muffler, TTD Bookkeeping, Nightmare Graphics, Stacy Carmen, Hallmark, sponsored Chevy snagged the victory.

Goode Towing Street Stocks

0 Tim Carmen jr

3 Gary Norman

83 Dennis Simmons

96 Paul Kohl

01 Terry Tschoerner

1 Kevin Finsley

84 Tony McPherson sr.

45 Chris Cockrell

48x Duane Toyne

28 Donald Merritt

27 Tim Fasano

97 Andrew Richards

96v Tony McPherson jr

2 Kevin Ashley

63 Danny Dunn

22 Ron Mendenhall

43 Gene Burnett

23 Leon Mendenhall

42j Jacob Wininger

J33 James Haynes

Street Stock heats

Heat #1

43 Gene Burnett

1 Kevin Finsley

0 Tim Carmen jr

45 Chris Cockrell

01 Tracy Tschoerner

23 Leon Mendenhall

Heat #2

48x Duane Toyne

83 Dennis Simmons

84 Tony McPherson sr.

2 Kevin Ashley

97 Andrew Richards

69 Jesse Johnson ---DNS

6 Allen Morgan---DNS

Heat #3

3 Gary Norman

27 Tim Fasano

96 Paul Kohl

63 Danny Dunn

j33 James Haynes

28 Donald Merritt

22 Ron Mendenhall

In the Dwarf Car feature Michal Dion got the early lead with GW Egbert, James Tanner and Joseph Snow on his tail. GW Egbert got by Dion for the lead on lap 4 . GW Egbert began to inch away while Snow got past Tanner for third. Snow then passed Dion for second on lap 7 and closed in on GW Egbert for the lead. Snow powered by GW Egbert on lap 10 for the top spot with Tanner spinning on lap 11 to bring out a yellow.

On the restart Snow and GW Egbert pulled away, but Tanner slowed to bring the yellow back out on lap 12. Snow got a good jump on the restart, while Trevor Egbert got fourth from Peter Simpson. Snow slipped high on lap 13 with GW Egbert retaking the lead and Billy White grabbing second. GW Egbert held off White on the final lap to get the win in the E&E Collision, 121 Towing, NAPA of Killeen, The Car Shop sponsored Dwarf Car.

Reds BBQ Dwarf Cars

717 GW Egbert

17 Billy White

07 Michael Dion

41 Trevor Egbert

01 Joseph Snow

3c Bryan Scheible

33 Shandy Price

4 Peter Simpson

3 Paul Hendricks

7T James Tanner

Zach Riley got the early lead of the Texas Twister feature but was challenged by Daniel Reed. Reed snuck by on lap 2 while Riley made contact with Daniel Wade sending him hard into the front stretch wall to bring out a red flag. Wade was extricated by paramedics complaining of low back pain, but otherwise alright. Once back to green, Reed inched away with Jacob Sakhnini, Kelvin Harper and Tommy Hultz getting by Riley. Harper and Hultz then got by Reed with Harper on the point and Austin Smith making his way to third.

The top three ran nose to tail on lap 4 with Smith getting around Hultz on lap 5 for second. Smith and Harper then were forced three wide splitting a lapped car giving the top spot to Smith on lap 8. A lap 9 caution for debris was the races only yellow. Once back to racing Smith began to stretch out his margin while Shelby Elsworth moved in to battle Harper and Hultz.

Elsworth got past Harper for third on lap 13 and was on Hultz' bumper for second. Smith took the white flag with almost a full straightaway on the second place battle. As Smith was taking the checkers in the Smith Construction, Cullen-Dixon Trucking, Custom Transmissions, Grayson Trucking sponsored car, Elsworth snuck by Hultz for second.

Budweiser Texas Twister(Top 12 in points locked in)

313 Austin Smith

151 Shelby Elsworth

51 Tommy Hultz

15 Kelvin Harper

52 Rick Smith

28 Jeffery Hunter

01 Bo Duke

11 Colby Krahn

77y Kevin Yagalla

11a Austin Witt

114 Ryan Ellis

55 Erin Wood

5 Mark Webb jr

55t Logan Tatum

56 Jacob Sakhnini

20 Jackie Ashlock

110 Zach Riley

17 Don Krahn

56s Shelly Sakhnini

84 Daniel Reed

911 Daniel Wade

151 Shelby Elsworth and 15 Kelvin Harper both were claimed, both sold

Twister B-Main(Top 8 to A-Main)

51 Tommy Hultz

01 Bo Duke

15 Kevin Harper

11 Colby Krahn

52 Rick Smith

10.5 Brooke Whitener

114 Ryan Ellis

55T Logan Tatum

5 Mark Webb jr

11a Austin Witt

07x Brain Bagent

Keith White took the SLIDER JackPot worth $260 in the Mods and also earned the SLIDER Hard Charger Award!

Don Painter won the SLIDER JackPot worth $140 in the SSMs!

Nathen Sodak won the SLIDER JackPot worth $110 in the Hobby Stocks!

Archived