Jr

gundogC3

Agreed, but the numbers are very similar considering the spread of years they cover.

Greatest of all time? I have an opinion but you could make a case for several.

Ain't that the truth. fireball (and Jeff Gordon) comes to mind for the way he woo'ed the fans, Junior Johnson for his creativity, Harry Gant for his stick to itiveness, Richard Petty for his patience in times it was needed most (and impatience in others!), etc etc. (and yes even Dale for his bravery in driving a car way into a situation he probably shouldn't for reasons that may not have been acceptable given clarity of hindsight, and his straight forward "that's racin" no excuses attitude afterward!)

What If:

Tim Richmond had not met the fate he did (both politically and physically) - he was racking up some good numbers!

Terry LaBonte's republican (oops er um Texan) views had not ruffled feathers and cost him his ride.

these are just two examples of situations that could very have easily changed the 80's which then in turn would have caused the 90's and current to be totally different (momentum plays such a huge part in ANY proffession)!

Does the best driver in the best car ALWAYS win - nope so how can any win stat point to the best? there are too many skill sets and too many variances in the importance of each set to define what makes the best. I think the abilty to hold your head up and say that you did your best right or wrong and not make excuses for any shortcomings is the most critical set of all - as this attitude always leaves room to learn and improve.

Looking at JR's LM stats he was quite a contender. Just think - had he stayed there he might have a championship by now.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the Nationwide championships dont count?

Did they award the trophies during the Cup Award Presentations? My bad I thought we were talking about Cup Drivers - I should not have taken the LM bait.

But yea they count. And as they may be the peak of his career we CAN'T discount them.

Here are Brandon's statistics that we put together for his hero cards (does not include any 2009 and 2010 wins):

2008: Six ASA Pro Late Model Feature Wins (out of 8 races) at Houston Motorsports Park, including the HMP Spectacular

2007: Three ASA Pro Late Model Feature Wins at Houston Motorsports Park and Thunderhill Raceway

2006: Four Feature Wins, including Texas Two Step and OktoberFAST at San Antonio Speedway

2005: Multiple Feature Wins at San Antonio Speedway and Houston Motorsports Park - 5 Wins (4 in a row)

2004: Top 3 in ROMCO Super Late Model Touring Series. 3 Track Records.  Multiple Wins.

2003: ROMCO Super Late Model Touring Series Champion. 2 Wins, 5 Poles, 6 Top-Five Finishes

2002: ROMCO Super Late Model Touring Series Rookie of the Year (1 Feature Win)

2001: NASCAR Weekly Racing Series Sunbelt Regional Champion; 15 wins of 18 Feature Races; San Antonio

Speedway NASCAR Late Model Track Champion

1999: NASCAR Weekly Racing Series Sunbelt Regional Champion; 12 wins of 18 Feature Races; San Antonio

Speedway NASCAR Late Model Track Champion

1998: San Antonio Speedway NASCAR Late Model Track Champion; Rookie of the Year

1997: San Antonio Speedway NASCAR Super Street Stock Champion; 22 Wins of 24 Feature Races

(20 consecutive wins)

This is in general to all of the post stating that jr isn't that good. yes it is true that he hasn't done much over the last 3 years, but everyone forgets that between his rookie year and 2006 he had the 3rd most wins on the circuit and before that he won back to back Busch series titles when they were more difficult to win. Jr has the talent, I just think he has a confidence issue right now. I also believe that hendrick isn't the place for him. i wish that He and Childress would get together and bring Tony Eury Sr back as his crew chief. he had alot of success with Tony Sr! As far as Jr ever living up to his dad, he never will, but he always said" I'm not my dad!". I think jr is a talented driver. is he the best? No, but he is alot better thanh what he's shown the last few years. JMO

Denny Hamlin - impressive stats:

In his first stock car race, at Langley Speedway, Hamlin won the pole position, and won the race. He then progressed to the Grand Stock division in 1998, and moved on to Late Model Stock Cars in 2000. In 2002, he won ten Late Model races, and surpassed that in 2003 with 25 wins, and 30 poles, out of 36 races. In 2004, while competing full time in Late Model Stock Cars, Hamlin was signed to a driver development contract with Joe Gibbs Racing.

This is in general to all of the post stating that jr isn't that good. yes it is true that he hasn't done much over the last 3 years, but everyone forgets that between his rookie year and 2006 he had the 3rd most wins on the circuit and before that he won back to back Busch series titles when they were more difficult to win. Jr has the talent, I just think he has a confidence issue right now. I also believe that hendrick isn't the place for him. i wish that He and Childress would get together and bring Tony Eury Sr back as his crew chief. he had alot of success with Tony Sr! As far as Jr ever living up to his dad, he never will, but he always said" I'm not my dad!". I think jr is a talented driver. is he the best? No, but he is alot better thanh what he's shown the last few years. JMO

Agreed

That was emotional for me, I don't know about anybody else.

It was for me too Gunnar. I liked Dale Sr and I like Dale Jr. Also was a Terry Labonte fan. You cannot judge anyone until you have walked in their shoes. JMO

Thanks

Petty had an average of 11.3?WOW...actually...super wow.Didn't he race somewhere around 1,000 times?And it's even more impressive when considering how he ran in his last few years.Crash after crash.Finishing at the back of the pack most of the time.11.3...hmmm....did he have some seasons where he averaged 3.2 or something?

Petty had an average of 11.3?WOW...actually...super wow.Didn't he race somewhere around 1,000 times?And it's even more impressive when considering how he ran in his last few years.Crash after crash.Finishing at the back of the pack most of the time.11.3...hmmm....did he have some seasons where he averaged 3.2 or something?

He had a 14 yr span where he won 140 races, the wins became harder as the playing field leveled.

I still say RCR and Earnhardt....hope down the road.

I say the same Gennar.

His win in the 3 car was cool. Neat to see, and would be great for nascar if he could do it more often! His career speaks for its self though: Jimmie, Gordon, Earnhardt Sr., and Petty's careers don't have to be defended cause they won at the top level and were/are good.

careers

LOVE that word. And a big AMEN at ya.

In the end it ain't the race, it ain't your stats, it aint really even the legacy you leave behind. It's your contribution to the entirety and the fact that it is your life and you are living it! the dedication that it took to even get to the green flag let alone the checkers is sometimes the most admirable part.

Agreed

Agreed.

i didnt think it was a good move when he went to hendrick ...my thought it was mostly aboult hendrick picking up the sponsor money more than helping jr ..if hendrick really wanted jr to out perform the two others ..that would be happening ..he would have the best team .the best crew chief .the best cars //not test cars ..same with martin ..those were sponsor moves ..

if hendrick really wanted jr to out perform the two others ..that would be happening ..he would have the best team .the best crew chief .the best cars //not test cars ..same with martin ..those were sponsor moves ..

So you are saying that Hendrick is not only content owning 4 cars and having only 2 of them win - but that it is in his business plan to happen that way?

I don't buy that. I firmly believe Hendrick WANTS all 4 to win, and is doing all that he can to make that happen. But for whatever reasons it just ain't. You can't convince me otherwise.

I guess im confused. Jr hasnt won much of anything lately. In the cup level i mean. But if he was to move to childress it might be different? How is that? Are the cars better? doubt it. Better owner? probably not. Is it the money? definately not. Honestly, how many of you guys thought that hendrick was the way to go cus he would be in better equipment than what he was in at DEI? I admit I did. Eury isnt the answer either. he wasnt doing all that great when him and Eury split then.

Don't be confused - apparently JR is driving the car that Johnson is going to use next week as a "test", just like Martin is driving the car Gordon will be using next week as a test. Wait that doesn't work as each track uses a different set up - substitute YEAR for WEEK. THere thats it.

The only thing that suprises me is that one of US knows this and JR doesn't. Maybe JR is a few crayons short of a rainbow - as he ain't got something so obvious figgered out yet. Anyone got his phone number?

Don't be confused - apparently JR is driving the car that Johnson is going to use next week as a "test", just like Martin is driving the car Gordon will be using next week as a test. Wait that doesn't work as each track uses a different set up - substitute YEAR for WEEK. THere thats it.

The only thing that suprises me is that one of US knows this and JR doesn't. Maybe JR is a few crayons short of a rainbow - as he ain't got something so obvious figgered out yet. Anyone got his phone number?

you trying to be funny .or just a smart a77

Archived