Best racetracks as viewed from space...

Driver4Hire

I have been to Nurburgring in Germany and Spa Francorchamps in Belgium. I got to drive my car on the track in Belgium and have some great photos of the place. IMO, They can take Vegas out and put TEXAS in it's place. Lenny66 B)

Yep - it's now with photographic evidence that I can emphatically state that the parking at Daytona REALLY REALLY sucks.

hahaha!

i'm sure we could say that about all of 'em!

...couldn't we? :unsure:

Nope. Talledega has a HUGE parking lot - right next to and all the way around the track. Charlotte has smaller lots - all right next to the track AND many open fields that the owners allow parking/camping all within 1/2 mile of the track. Texas may get muddy - but its ample and close.

Daytona there is NO public parking within a mile. What is within a mile fills up FAST (like before sunrise) - and accounts for at best 20% of the need and costs 50 bucks. Parking next to the track is VIP only - sponsors and staff take it all - but a bribe here or there may get ya parked for 500 or so. The rest get parked ON the greens of the municipal Golf course 2.7 miles from the track. Getting IN is not an issue - you park, walk about 100 yards to your shuttle stop and hop on a city bus. 5 minutes later your at the gate. Leaving is a whole different story. We waited until well after the fireworks were over at the Firecracker in 98 before we headed to the ONLY shuttle stop at the track (behind the backstretch). there are 15 pick up gates that you go thru like cattle at the auction. problem is the shuttle comes and loads from gate one and leaves, next shutle(s) come and load from #1 and #2 and leave. Next shuttle comes and loads from #1 and leaves. See the problem? Once there are 25000 people crammed in you can't just move down to another gate. And the push of people from the back just keeps on coming with no way to move anyone forward! We left our seats 30 minutes after the checkers. We did not get onto a shuttle until 5 hours and 45 minutes after the checkers! That whole time was spent walking all the way around the track (about 30 minutes) and then being crammed in so tight even I was having clostrophobic anxiety (and I used to rebuild big diesels while laying inside the crankcase). I have NEVER been so tightly packed in to any space as I was then. there were people fainting from heat exhaustion - from being packed in - it was a nice 75 degrees. It almost went mob - fights were breaking out, kids were screaming. 4 hrs we stood in the same spot with people crammed in so tight I could not even lift my arms without elbowing somebody.

I'll never go back to Daytona - until the day comes when I can afford a grand a day for an RV spot off of turn two. These are the only ones within walking distance. Infield RV will set ya back 2g a day. And thats buying it from the "license holder" - you still gotta pay NASCAR as well.

Archived