4th of July Weekend of Speed

TRP

Just a reminder, we will be hosting the ASCS Winged Sprint Cars, as our feature event.

Also included is the Modifieds, Sport / Limited Modifieds, and Street Stocks.

Remember Street Stocks will run for an increased Purse. Currently at $800 to win. :)

Houston area Hobby Stocks are welcome to come. You must run your rules from your track. Plus add 100 lbs to your car. Must weigh 3300 lbs. We will have your rules in our tech area. You must run your tires (street tires). Battleground cars can use the G60 tire. No mixing of rules, i.e. (Hobby stock 3300 lbs w/hoosier dirt boss tires or Street Stock with a 4 barrel carb). Hope to see yall there!!!

Of course this is all up to what "Alex" (tropical storm) wants to do. <_<

Really? they have to run stock heads with street tires....you know...the same invitation went out to i37 street stocks...they can do alot more than houston hobby stocks...but..for the record...you could make them add 500# and they would still do good... I honestly dont see any advantage that they would have...any racer would think they were at a huge disadvantage running stock heads and street tires against our street stocks...humm...is that fear I smell? lol..just kidding.... I honestly hope you can understand that there has to be some give and take in the rules to allow for a bigger car count...they cant just write the rules to only benifit the local cars...or you will not get the out of town cars to come...and if they dont...I doubt there will be any more of these type races...AJ

Really? they have to run stock heads with street tires....you know...the same invitation went out to i37 street stocks...they can do alot more than houston hobby stocks...but..for the record...you could make them add 500# and they would still do good... I honestly dont see any advantage that they would have...any racer would think they were at a huge disadvantage running stock heads and street tires against our street stocks...humm...is that fear I smell? lol..just kidding.... I honestly hope you can understand that there has to be some give and take in the rules to allow for a bigger car count...they cant just write the rules to only benifit the local cars...or you will not get the out of town cars to come...and if they dont...I doubt there will be any more of these type races...AJ

You are correct AJ. If we don't do this there will not be a big car count for a special event. And Charlie and Porkchops crew, we already have hobby stocks racing with us already. The Blanchards and Monty's car is a Houston style hobby stock as well. They are not beating us but are competative. We found a combination that works. 16 cars last Saturday? Was one the best classes as far as count goes, and was some great racing too.

I know a lot of the Houston area guys and have watched them run a lot. Honestly, the 3,300# is the right number for the Texana track to make the cars compatible. Our cars and their cars are very, very equal at their 3,200# and our 3,400#. All of the racers up there are fine with the 3,300# whenever they come to Texana, so we need to leave it at that and leave it alone. There is give and take back and forth on our rules, but in the end we are very, very equal. Ken has picked the correct weight at 3,300# for these two classes to run together. I would have to think about it, but I might feel differently about it if we were really digesting a bigger track where the 4 barrel would make a huge difference, but at Texana, we are really equal. So, my 2 cents are the track has made the right decision on the weight.

I just bought a completely legal Houston area hobby stock car that I am gonna try to run at Texana for the rest of the year at a few races. Having already run it two nights (and it has stock heads), I can tell you first hand, that the after-market heads on our Texana and SOS street stocks make a huge difference. Having the stock heads and street tires on this car is really noticable. Guys, we gotta make things like this work or we are gonna all get pretty bored in the not too distant future as tracks drop classes due to low car counts. This is a way of making something work and it is not a real threat to either group.

Really, we are fine just like we have it and I'm glad that we are making in-roads closer and closer to something where we can take cars from one track to another and not have to be stuck sitting in the driveway some night if we get rain and glad they can come run with us if they have rain. Seriously, we don't have just a surplus of cars everywhere just banging down the doors at tracks to run at, and anytime we can get a little close to something that looks like a full field, I'm all for that!!

On another note, if Alex does try to throw a kink in our plans for this Friday (hopefully not), I don't know what that means to the Sprints on any sort of reschedule, but I do want to talk to Ken and Bruce about getting this event for the Streets rescheduled if we can, because this thing really picked up a lot of energy.

I understand trying to get the car count up, but for the past 3 years the track has a big money show for the at the time, "Bombers" lol, and the Houston cars come down and race one time and take the money. I have done my part over the years to get extra purse money every year for these events, and we just give the money away? Wow!!! Lets see what the rules say about them "stock heads"

OEM cylinder heads only with a minimum 68cc chamber size. No closed chamber heads except 305 heads on 305 engine only. No partially closed chamber heads. No 461 or 462 heads. Open chamber heads only. No vortec heads. Race cars using GM engines must run 350 heads on 350 engines, and 305 heads on 305 engines.

If these "stock heads" are so down on power why do the sportmods run them??? Hmmm.......

What's Texana's again? Oh yeah 72cc! And a 4 barrel with street tires on a dryslick track that rubbers up, come on guys for real???

Anyone willing to bet that a Houston car will not win???

Why do sport mods run them? Cause sport mods can not run dart iron eagle 72cc heads

they are only allowed to run a aftermarket reproduction stock head....not even close to the same thing as any steel head...trust me....now..why do they take the money...lol...I bet Seals could take the money half the time in a ups truck....sorry...but big shows bring out good drivers..kinda the point. I think most drivers want a good race...not just an easy win......oh and the 4bbl myth is just that..a myth... I won a ton of Hobbystock races on BIG and small tracks with my 4412...these motors only need 650 cfm...a quadrajet is 850.......so..the 500 seems to be very equal...and IMO its better...(got a TOBA championship to prove it too)...now if they were running superstock motors...the 4bbl would be an advantage.. AJ

the sportmods cant run those heads, ours must be 76 cc open chamber heads and there is a list of heads which we can run. the street stock ,motors with the exception of the vacuum rule are waaaayyy better motor combination than the sportmod motors. its because of chassis design and 1000lbs weight difference that we are faster cars.

I will say this about the thread though, I watched the Seals run their hobby's last year at shadyoaks and they did not run off from anybody, I thought the cars were really equal, and thats two of the best in the hobby stock class, so I felt it was a good benchmark as to what the cars will really do. the tires that they run more than off set the weight difference. besides most people dont weigh exactly what the min. requirement anyway. I want to watch yall race so much, I am not even bringing my car(because we are always running right behind yall) just so I can watch some really good racing.

what is another 100# ? well for one thing....they already are adding 100#...so this would be 200# added...you ever have to do that? it is a MAJOR pain....and can really effect handeling..so..then they have to spend even more time getting that set up....and just the time it takes to add 200#...that can be 4 hours by itself....these are not modifieds with places to add weight already set up......sheesh....I give up....AJ

and AJ if I recall correctly when the Texana cars were invited to CC we were told to add 100 lbs in front of the firewall, we had no option..................... B).......................so lets do that then............

so are you sayin we don't have that caliper drivers at Edna? How bout Tony Blankenship, Chris Shafer, Brian King, Monty C., Adam Perks, and how bout yourself AJ?

and AJ if I recall correctly when the Texana cars were invited to CC we were told to add 100 lbs in front of the firewall, we had no option..................... B).......................so lets do that then............

Monty is right we need to give them some lean-way if we want a big field what would be cooler than running a B-main in the Street Stocks??? just let it go and we will find out friday and if you are right you can say i told you so and they will know what to change for the next big event JMO!!! :ph34r:

Monty is right we need to give them some lean-way if we want a big field what would be cooler than running a B-main in the Street Stocks??? just let it go and we will find out friday and if you are right you can say i told you so and they will know what to change for the next big event JMO!!! :ph34r:

yeser!!! ;) wish i wasent going out of town this weekend :(

umm..I dont see those guys on here complaining....and..like I said...we have more than any of them...so...yes..we should add weight...and..they have added weight..even though they have less...but for the record.....ask the man him self...Seals....how many times have you won the grand? ( I know of 4? but think its more) And I am curious...how many big shows have you won not including the grand? Am I as good as him?...probably not (won the grand once..and about 4 big shows 600 to win or more ..and seals was at a few of these...remember I37 bubba?...I do...lol) but am I scared...heck no..in fact I am gonna run him in the polka dot car...not even gonna break out the camaro for this....lol I am thru with this explanation....race or dont...just stop making it out to be unfair...AJ

not complaining dude, as I said in my very first post, JMO, and no I am not racing, thanks for askin.............would I if I had a car? Yes I would.............would I be a contender? Yes I would, always have been, thank you much. Does it take a lot of wins to be good? Uh no, won the championship my first year with not one win............. come on AJ, with all your experience are you really compairing yourself to a man with 3 years under his belt??? Geezz.........thought you were better than that, thanks again and good luck with the polka dot car................

If I thought for one moment I was bringing a nife to a gun fight I wouldnt be sponsoring the event nor racing in it. Again we did this same race last year at SOS and all the cars were competitive as a matter of fact it took a B main for several of the Houston Hobby stocks to make the main event. A texana car won and a houston hobby stock got 2nd. We ran bumper to bumper in front of Houston's Best driver for half the race until contact was made. Scared hell no I am scared at Texana, SOS or at even at Battleground when we go there for this years Tx Grand! Of course on a dyno a 4 barrel will make more wideopen horsepower but so far this year I have not evened ran my 2 barrel wide open so whats the point? I want to race against the best. I want to see the top 24 cars qualify and then see how I measure up. I wish this was a weekly problem we had to deal with instead of a once a year problem. I hope everyone attends and competes as this is what racing is all about. I think more would understand if they went out of town and raced with the shoe on the other foot. Good luck to everyone cause your going to need it!

P.S. someone put Howard Willis in a hobby and bring his ass too!

I understand trying to get the car count up, but for the past 3 years the track has a big money show for the at the time, "Bombers" lol, and the Houston cars come down and race one time and take the money. I have done my part over the years to get extra purse money every year for these events, and we just give the money away? Wow!!! Lets see what the rules say about them "stock heads"

You know I love ya,,, and I've been thinking about this thread quite a bit over the time I've been out of town. Just got back in town this evening after a mini-vacation. This is good for promotions. We might need to tag team and do some of this stuff, as it has drawn tremendous readership... lol.... For the record and fact is fact, Charlie has absolutely been one of the best on rounding up money for any bonus shows, and he can definitely walk the talk on rounding up bonus money. When I was promoting, he was an excellent resource on helping round up the money, and I'm very thankful. And, he was the catalyst in pulling in a bonus $100 from Elite Automotive for this upcoming event.

I only recall one out of town car taking home the money for any of the Texana big shows, since Bruce took over track in 2005, and that was a car that beat me in 2006. Sorry, I let everyone down that night.. ;) .. That's the only time I can recall that happening on bonus money, but maybe I'm wrong. In 2009, economy was tight, and I don't think we had any bonus money pulled in that I can recall. In 2008, Randy did come run with us on an early season event but I was thinking it was for regular money in our class, but I could be wrong on that one. He did win that night. In July 2008, we had a bonus money event in mid-July and Danny Bennett won that one. In 2007, Bruce put up a $1,000 to win event at the end of the season for the then Bombers (all track money on that one), and Adam Perks won that one, with a lot of out of town cars present.

In 2006, Bruce put up a $1,000 to win and $500 for second event (all track money), with several out of town cars. I was second, after simply getting out-drove by a veteran an out of towner in a Pure Stock (not a hobby). I will pay $25 on someone's pit pass to the first person who can tell me who won the $1k to win show in 2006... Anyone remember who it was? I do... :blink: .......... And, I still owe Charlie, Chase and Eric a beverage for prior answers on Texana trivia questions. Guys, you have to remind me to pay up at the next race!!!

Also, there has been more money offered on the two night combo, which I will post on the other thread containing all that information.

Thanks Monty!!! Like I said I stirred the beans on this one..............but someones got to do it!!! :lol:

And still don't know what Ken was thinkin when he invited the Street Stock from I37, yall guys better bring the guns!!! :ph34r:

Archived