A big thanks

kwiseman

I would like to give a big thank you to Bob David and the 52 crew, Steve Moore, Brent Bell, The Stapps for all the help and spare tools to drop and replace our rear end yesterday in about 30 minutes. The broke rear end was icing on the cake to an otherwise not so much fun trip to the track.

Thanks a million guys, you are all a class act.

Kevin Wiseman

Pro Truck 28

all the rear ends that have been lost have been chevy 10bolts.

you guys can run a ford nine inch. that would pratically eliminate this problem.

Back when we ran trucks, we never broke a rear end.

Just a thought, but the trucks, especially those with crates, have a bit more power than we had back then; It is possible that we are seeing a weak link in the GM rear ends.

Like Horse stated, a Ford 9 inch fixes the problem.

Wait, damnit, didn't we ask for those rear ends back in '98....................................?

The Ford rear ends are considerably heavier and use a little more of the precious few ponies we have under the hood. I think we'll stick with the GM. Our failure at the previous race was a dumb mistake on my part - the rear end had a welded gear carrier in it. I should have scrapped that carrier in favor of a mini spool when I acquired it.

The Ford rear ends are considerably heavier and use a little more of the precious few ponies we have under the hood. I think we'll stick with the GM. Our failure at the previous race was a dumb mistake on my part - the rear end had a welded gear carrier in it. I should have scrapped that carrier in favor of a mini spool when I acquired it.

We never had a problem with the GM 10 bolt on the 66 truck except when I

neglected to put in gear lube after a gear change. The Royal Purple still kept

it going for two practice sessions. Good axles, quality gear lube, and not too

tight a set up will let you benefit from the features that 99 talked about in his

post.

but where is that weight going?,,,,the one place the truck could really,really use it.

so i guess it would be a question of compromising horsepower for handling? which the 99 truck is not hurting for either.

Rear ends seem to be weak area for the trucks. Always breaking.

i was just going to say the same thing ....cant be from all that power they are putting down ..

The rear end I tore up was not your old rear end, rather a new one. Old faithful was bolted up and ran the race.

The rear end I tore up was not your old rear end, rather a new one. Old faithful was bolted up and ran the race.

my grandad can build them pretty bullet proof......i was wondering.

i did loose one last year, but i don't know who put it together or how many races were on it.

cool deal! you got to run,and see the best side of racing,,,,,,the 'good' people. the truck series is full of them.

but where is that weight going?,,,,the one place the truck could really,really use it.

so i guess it would be a question of compromising horsepower for handling? which the 99 truck is not hurting for either.

its also more rotating weight...that is what uses up power. I ran a 10 bolt in the prostock the whole time I ran out there, crate and no crate...

In most racing applications unsprung weight should be kept to a minimum. Rear ends are unsprung weight, but the Ford 9-bolt rear is heavier than the 10-bolt rear in their stock configurations.

If one needs a greater rear weight percentage, front weight should be removed to the extent possible (cutting torches, saws and metal shears come to mind here) which automatically increases the rear percentage and decreases the front weight percentage. Once all expendable weight up front has been removed, add rear weight to the frame to be supported by the suspension springs rather than adding unsprung weight.

Nick

Here's a pic or two I took of Kevin on Saturday.

post-3-1277765120.jpg

Ready to take the 28 NASCAR 360 Truck out for practice

post-3-1277765129.jpg

Looking at the rear end after pulling into the pits

post-3-1277765112.jpg

This is what was left behind after they pushed the truck back to Kevin's pit

Archived