THR ASA A-Line Super Stocks - some thoughts

NickHolt

As I was trying to keep up with the action last night at Thunderhill Raceway doing the Live Updates, I kept on thinking to myself what a great show the ASA A-line Super Stocks were putting on for the fans - and me.

Sportsmanship. Respect. Skill. Almost a throwback to the days when racers respected each other and each others equipment. When playing fair was the only way to play. Back when someone earned their first feature win against the very best, their eyes would well up with tears trying to talk into the microphone. Back when fellow competitors would come over to congratulate you for your win - and mean it.

I saw all that last night in those two Super Stock races.

But I have to admit that I was especially impressed watching Mr. Clint LaFont. He decided to start scratch in both features knowing that he needed to do very well in both races to stay atop the ASA National points. It would have been entirely understandable if Clint used the chrome horn to make his way to the front - and with his handling package and his natural ability, it would have been relatively easy to win both features just by moving people out of the way. Instead he ended up third in the first feature and eighth in the second.

I don't know what was going through his head, but I think I have a good idea. I think he decided a long time ago (because of the example set by his dad and folks like the Stapps) that respecting his fellow racers, racing clean and playing fair was far more important than winning - even with such an important championship dangling within reach.

While I did not watch his every move since I was reporting on the whole field, I didn't see him punt anyone. Didn't see him shove anyone out of the way. Maybe a bit of paint swapped with his dad, but that's about it.

Now if we could give some of what Clint has to some of the youngsters who made a mess out of their race ...

Nick

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw mason run the out side better than most at that track Mr Holt while it seems you are stuck on the same people weekend and week out some of us would like you to report on other people while I respect Clint you should expand your in interviews this year seems all clint all the time there are lots of people I know you have talked to I just dont ever see them featured a few of us racers were talking about it this weekend and first thing here you are on the Lafonts nuts again while this is your speed zone and your microphone I thought you tried to arbitrarily report I dont know? Mason has one of the biggest fan base at the track he won the thunderstock championship and now runin for rookie of the year right behind Clint Lafont for maybe a champion ship so as to your comments didnt use the bumper he and his dad work hard to set up for the outside and for the most part ran the outsid he would love that ASA championship any ways just my opinion not politicaly correct just straight to the point

I agree Bobby, it seems that is all we hear about is Clint LaFonte all the time. He is a good racer and I respect his accomplishments but there are other racers out there that work just as hard and are just as good that deserve some recognition also. You're right, Mason is the defending Thunderstock Champion and in the running for Rookie of the year in the super stocks and he too along with some of the other racers deserve their time in the spotlight also. Everyone knows that the racers that race at Thunderhill do it for the love of the sport not the money. There are many teams out there that sacrifice alot to race every week and put in just as much sweat and tears as the LaFonte's and deserve to be recognized just as much as Clint. As you said, this is Nicks microphone, but it would be nice to hear about some of the other racers in the superstocks and other classes also instead of the LaFonte's all the time.

i got all the respect in the world for 'you' nick. i think it is awesome what you do for racing (period). on this board and at the tracks.....but ditto to hansen99 and rodlea.

***** j.c pilcher won his 1st feature last night!

***** mason teague drove the outside like a seasoned vet.

*****.....and tracy,,,,WOW! T.N.F.P.!!!!!!

*****brandon leonard (a rookie) won his second feature,,,,in something like 5 races.

big mentions that were not mentioned?

cary stapp is Cary Stapp...the 3 levels of ability, respect and class between the two should not even be a comparision.

the dog and pony show is old , out dated and WAY over-rated.

j.m.o.

Crazy Horse great point I enjoy watchin all those people Tracy , Jc , Brandon , Mc kimm and many others. Tired of the broken record I guess other people feel the same way and Nick If your listening go check out that 5 ThunderStock very interisting background and how about the Robbins how many differnt cars do they bring out ? What about the pople that dont have the Huge budgets and are able to run competivly if you do this for racing do it for racing if you do this too kiss someones ass or for your self keep it too your self There are many interisting stories butt we keep gettin the same ones Just my opinion I do enjoy this forum thankyou for runin it

i dont have a dog in this fight but feel the need to express my .02. This is a forum that everyone is allowed to post on. If nick feels like posting something for someone he has the right to do so no matter who it is for. Everytime a customer or a friend of my brothers wins a race, he gets on here and says congrats. Does what everyone else is saying mean he has to make a point to say the same for other people? 1st ammendment says freedom of speech.

He chose to say good job to someone and we should take it at that. If anyone else wanted to say another driver did well, they should do so with some manners. In my oppinion, they shouldn't demand someone else to write an article of any sort. Write something yourselves without talking down to another person. Or if you would like to have someone else write the article, I'm sure people like TQ, who do that for a living, will take care of that for a price.

Mr. Holt does this out of the kindness of his heart and doesn't have to write anything on here or on the live updates. I for one appreciate the ability to keep up with the racing while at home so please don't run him off.

Again just my oppinion, not trying to ruffle feathers just tryin to get Nick's back when it seems lopsided. Happy Father's Day to all!!!!!!!!

i dont have a dog in this fight but feel the need to express my .02. This is a forum that everyone is allowed to post on. If nick feels like posting something for someone he has the right to do so no matter who it is for. Everytime a customer or a friend of my brothers wins a race, he gets on here and says congrats. Does what everyone else is saying mean he has to make a point to say the same for other people? 1st ammendment says freedom of speech.

He chose to say good job to someone and we should take it at that. If anyone else wanted to say another driver did well, they should do so with some manners. In my oppinion, they shouldn't demand someone else to write an article of any sort. Write something yourselves without talking down to another person. Or if you would like to have someone else write the article, I'm sure people like TQ, who do that for a living, will take care of that for a price.

Mr. Holt does this out of the kindness of his heart and doesn't have to write anything on here or on the live updates. I for one appreciate the ability to keep up with the racing while at home so please don't run him off.

Again just my oppinion, not trying to ruffle feathers just tryin to get Nick's back when it seems lopsided. Happy Father's Day to all!!!!!!!!

Very well put!

Great point Umshied 51 I guess it seems like he is an ambassader of the sport (self appointed ) butt nonethe less ambassoder I do like his interviews I guess I was just wanting a bigger variety but you win he does do this for free so his time his money his choice well put Umshied 51 none of this was intended for an attack as stated before JUST MY OPINION so no offence was intended butt if any was taken I dont care

No, I don't say much on here, but I do read this board every day, sometimes twice a day. And I read a lot of other racing boards too because I am deeply involved in the sport behind the scenes. I have met Nick several times and have read his board for years and totally respect what he is doing for Texas racing. You have no idea what a treasure you have going for yourselves. Just read some of the other racing boards if you want to read trash, foul language, unrestrained bashing and worse.

Taking Nick apart for saying something nice about a class of cars and a driver he feels represents what is best in the sport is totally uncalled for, shows a major lack of class and a great deal of immaturity.

Nick - Don't let these guys get you down, sir. Just keep on doing your best for the sport we all are addicted to.

Guys, did you read what he wrote?

He was talking about the Super Stock class as a whole.

Yes, he highlighted Clint. But was talking about the whole class

having alot of respect out there for each other.

There are so many wonderful drivers in that class. It is hard to

figure out each week who is gonna win. At any given time any one

could snatch there first win.

Like Michael said, start you own thread about who you would like

to talk about.

I think Tracy started one already about JC's first win last night.

I agree that the drivers do respect each other but last night there was an incident after the race ended where a certain driver now owes a really good guy a left front fender. Really cheap shot!

I agree Kathy also MC51. Do'nt tell Nick what to write. If you got something to say start your own thread! Also he always tells everyone congrats. Do'nt cause the live updates to go away. Nick works hard for everyone.s To show you how fair he is he could have deleted your post that was clearly putting him down. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK NICK. Do'nt let anyone get you down.

I was very frustrated to see some of the responses to Nick's post. Kathy hit the nail on the head. He was talking about the Super Stock class overall - complimenting the drivers and their respect for each other. And, yes, he emphasized Clint, but he was expressing his personal thoughts about Clint's driving style, just like any of us can on this forum.

I can tell you from experience that people like Nick (and I'm going to include myself) very often hear more complaints than compliments.

I do agree with several of you when you mention some of the other drivers, such as Pilcher, Teague, Tschoerner, Leonard, etc. They all were class acts last night. I love seeing a driver, such as Pilcher, get his first feature win. I hope to write about it in the next couple of days. Unfortunately, I've already spent most of today working with Kathy to make sure we issue accurate and timely results and points. And I'll spend the rest of the evening getting the THR and TSR websites updated. But if I write about Pilcher, I guess I'd also need to write about the other feature winners or more complaints will be generated. Sometimes it just feels like a no-win situation in our business.

I would like to state that I enjoy Nicks interviews and would like to see some new faces I am not very politicaly corect ( neither is my spelling ) I am staight to the point I would like to see some new interviews do it or dont I dont care as for Yall jumping to Nicks defence calm down I dont think anyone could bash Nick and have there eyes open or be on this planet mabe somthing came out wrong or mabe probaply too many people care what others think and wear there hearts on there sleave I just would like some publicity given to other drivers YES I could do that on my own thread butt who cares what I think Nicks opinion is valued among the community and he probaply likes more than just a couple drivers I for one enjoy watching Mason I think he drives clean and cosistant doesnt use the bumper (much) instead has been working on that hard to tame outside grove and goes there to pass not a bottom feeder I would likes Nicks opinion I just want exposure where its due cause I feel not only rookie of the year is up the championship for THR and ASA is gonna get tight between these two

Congratulation to both of last nights Super Stock feature winners. I would have liked to have been more in the hunt but it was a night of gremlins for my car. The double file restarts are making things more interesting. For the most part there was some very clean driving last night. Dano's talking about a post race incident...unfortunately I have some bodywork to do before my next race.

I was very frustrated to see some of the responses to Nick's post. Kathy hit the nail on the head. He was talking about the Super Stock class overall - complimenting the drivers and their respect for each other. And, yes, he emphasized Clint, but he was expressing his personal thoughts about Clint's driving style, just like any of us can on this forum.

I can tell you from experience that people like Nick (and I'm going to include myself) very often hear more complaints than compliments.

I do agree with several of you when you mention some of the other drivers, such as Pilcher, Teague, Tschoerner, Leonard, etc. They all were class acts last night. I love seeing a driver, such as Pilcher, get his first feature win. I hope to write about it in the next couple of days. Unfortunately, I've already spent most of today working with Kathy to make sure we issue accurate and timely results and points. And I'll spend the rest of the evening getting the THR and TSR websites updated. But if I write about Pilcher, I guess I'd also need to write about the other feature winners or more complaints will be generated. Sometimes it just feels like a no-win situation in our business.

He must have done something right...it's generated a slight buzz already and it's only Sunday night...LOL

After several years of taking pictures and finally getting the chance to give back to the racers and track, I have a MUCH greater appreciation for track owners, operators and officials. This includes people like Nick, I just don't have his title...LOL

Every Na$car team has multiple PR people. One of the issues i think every racer needs to work on is telling their own story. Longhorn football for example submits multiple press releases to hundreds of news agency's to get the message out.... I have never known Nick or Debbie to no post or promote anyone that doesn't feed them info. I also know that Debbie & Chuck have helped me greatly in the past and present with press releases and edits so they look more professional and proper...

So my challenge is type up your story and share your message (not anyone specific just every race team out here) This is how you get sponsors and media attention... Not just by Racing your (BLEEP) Off...

Just wanted to say great job by all of the Super Stock drivers last night. Congrats to JC and Brandon on their wins as well as Tracy for another awesome race. As far as the whole negative theme going on here it's pretty much already been addressed by Michael, Kathy and Deb. The only thing I will add is that all this negative B.S. is not needed. There is no sense in turning something positive into something completely irrelavant. All it does is show everyone's true colors.

there is no question, the ASA A Line Super Stocks are the premier racing class in Texas. I would take anyone of these drivers I race with into battle and feel confident in the end result. The amount of respect that we all share for one another is the kind I haven't seen in a long time.

These cars are super fast, and there is not an uncompetitive car in the bunch! The drivers all control their vehicles well, and when someone slips up they are usually right over to the other party to explain and in most cases help fix any damage.

I've gotten to watch some races, and leaving out the jealousy I may feel when I miss a race, this class is by far the most entertaing. As we rolled before the first race last night someone came on the radio and said those are all such good looking cars, these crews take a lot of pride in their cars.

Clint is our champion and a tough guy to beat, I guarantee you any driver in the class would love to take his place.......... and we all race hard with him to achieve that goal.

Nick thanks for all your work to help THR and the Super Stocks, I know all those big checks you collect must be nice! ;)

Point of all this is from the point leader through the 20th place driver the Super Stocks get it done week after week and I am damn proud to be a part of the group ya'll, let's keep em coming back and enjoying what we love to do.

They need to show the Boy's at NASCAR how to be a sportsman, there wasn't much respect showed yesterday with each other at Sonama, Jeff Gordan committed on it and he was one of the culprits, Kasey Kane said it was wild out there, just thought I throw that in.

Archived