Pittaway, Swenson, Jones, Bartosh, Okruhlik, Smith score I-37 Wins

Tator Plumbing Night at the Races, I-37 Raceway 6/19/10

By J M Hallas

Pleasanton, Tx.,(June 19th, 2010) Former San Antonio Speedway racer, track, class and car sponsor as well as new Sportmod driver, Tator Mason hosted the racing Saturday night on the 1/4 mile, semi-banked, clay oval south of San Antonio. Mason's company, Tator Plumbing, picked up sponsorship on the Limited Late Models this season to increase the purse and try to raise the car count.

Also helping to bring up the car count in the IMCA Modified class, track photographer Jamie Brabson kicked in money for two non-regulars(Dennis Taylor and Brad Smith) paying their entry fee, while 2008 track champion, Greg Dinsmore, antied up $100 to the long haul driver.(Smith)

Several drivers made their 2010 debuts, along with some familiar faces, in different places(rides). All totaled I-37 Raceway had it's biggest night, car count-wise, in the three years under new ownership.

Pittaway Picks up Modified Payday

Corpus Christi's Bill Pittaway found the upper groove to his liking as he worked his way forward in the 20-lap IMCA Modified A-main. Pittaway,who usually prefers the bottom, had his 2010 Harris Chassis set up to run higher and get by early leader Rick Green. Pittaway then built a lead and then held off Dennis Taylor after a late restart for his second Modified win of the year.

As green waved on the IMCA Modified feature Rick Green beat Jamie Campbell into turn 1 for the lead. Pittaway, Joe Spillman and Campbell were three wide for second when Tracy Fink, Brad Smith and Jason Borlace all went around. Under caution, perennial front runner, Greg Dinsmore pulled off with no oil pressure.

Green eased ahead on the restart, but Pittaway and Spillman running side by side quickly reeled him back in. It was three wide for the lead on lap 3, but in the pack Campbell got into Borlace sending him around for a caution. Green again got a jump on Spillman and Pittaway, with Pittaway getting around Spillman on the high side. Staying up top, Pittaway got by Green to take the lead on lap 5.

Taylor caught Spillman for third on lap 5 and got the spot. Taylor then closed on Green for second getting the position on lap 6. Green fell back into the clutches of Spillman who took fourth on lap 7. Coming to the crossed flags it was Pittaway, Taylor, Spillman, Green with Smith getting by Borlace for fifth. As the top three spread out, Smith caught Green for fourth and made the pass.

Robert Liese jr brought out a yellow on lap 14 when he looped his ride in turn 2. On the restart Smith snuck past Spillman for third while Pittaway inched away from Taylor. In the waning circuits, Pittaway was able to build his lead to half straightaway over Taylor cruising on to the victory in the CD Electric Motor Service, Wells Racing Engines, Harris Chassis.

“The car really felt good up there,” commented Pittaway. “We tightened the car up a bit because the track went away and it was really loose. I thought I lost it a couple times and had to gather it back up. I'm surprised I didn't have any challengers. It was fun passing people on the outside. I wish I could get my Sportmod to run that good. Maybe I can do a double dip some night.”

“This new Harris car just seems to like the set up that I have on it right now. I've been racing a Modified for ten years and gone to Bob Harris' Racing School the past two years. I'm the most comfortable in a Modified as I've ever been. I've learned more in the last two years as I have for as long as I've been racing.”

“I'd highly recommend anyone getting into a Modified to get a new car, go to a racing school, talk to the chassis builder and make sure you get the assistance. Understanding how the car and chassis works makes such a huge difference.”

IMCA Modifieds

37 Bill Pittaway

80 Dennis Taylor

88s Brad Smith

44s Joe Spillman

82 Rick Green

21 Jason Borlace

12 Bob Leinweber

24 Tracy Fink

26 Darin Leonard

67 Robert Liese jr

29 Jamie Campbell

8g Greg Dinsmore

c31 Marlin Samford---DNS

747 Chad Thrush---DNS

IMCA Modified heats

Heat #1

37 Bill Pittaway

82 Rick Green

80 Dennis Taylor

29 Jamie Campbel

c31 Marlin Samford

67 Robert Liese jr

747 Chad Thrush

Heat #2

8g Greg Dinsmore

44s Joe Spillman

21 Jason Borlace

88s Brad Smith

26 Darin Leonard

24 Tracy Fink

12 Bob Leinweber

Swenson Successful in Sportmod Season debut

Boerne's Chris Swenson turned his 2010 debut into a profitable one in the IMCA Southern Sportmod main. Starting sixth row outside, Swenson using the top groove, powered his way to front getting by early leader Randy Yount just past halfway. From there the veteran racer and chassis builder pulled away adding a new name to the diverse list of season winners.

As green waved on the 21-car, 20-lap IMCA Southern Sportmod feature Randy Yount lead into turn 1 from the pole followed by Randy Bennett with Jason Stanley and Jeff Nix side by side for third. Just as Bennett, Nix and Stanley tried three wide, Ray Doyon, Greg Rohmer, Larry Jernigan and Tator Mason gathered in turn 1 during a multi-car melee.

Yount held the point going back to green with side by side racing from sixth on back. Wesley Malcher went around on lap 3 after breaking the rear end to bring out a caution. Back under green Yount got a good jump while Stanley looked for a way under Nix. Brain Rye slipped too high falling out of the top six. Stanley continued hunting the bottom on Nix as Bill Pittaway tried low on Kris Rye, but gave up sixth to Swenson on the high side.

Swenson continued his charge to the front getting by K. Rye on lap 7 to crack the top five. Stanley and Nix were still vying for third running wheel to wheel on lap 8. Swenson capitalized on both going three abreast past both for third on lap 9. At halfway it was Yount, Bennett and Swenson side by side, Stanley and Nix in the top five.

Swenson got second from Bennett, as Stanley and Nix were still at it for fourth now. Yellow waved on lap 11 when former Limited Late Model champ, Moe VanKirk got turned the wrong way in turn 3 sending Johnny Torres over the hill. Once back to green Swenson stayed glued to Yount's bumper and this time ducked low in turn 3 to get the point on lap 12.

Nix, Stanley and K. Rye were three wide when yellow waved again for Pittaway who got turned by B. Rye in turn 4. Just as the race went back to green Robby Minten spun in turn 2 for a quick caution. Swenson got a big jump on green with wheel to wheel between K. Rye and Bennett for third, Nix and Micky Helms for sixth and Pittaway and Roger Strickland for eighth.

Once those packs sorted out Nix, Helms and Bennett tried some three wide racing for fifth. Swenson was starting to pull away when Rohmer and Jesse James tangled in turn 4 to bring out a lap 16 caution. Swenson got away clean on the restart while Stanley and K. Rye resumed a fight for third. Swenson eased away from Yount in the final laps to grab the win piloting the A+ Cash, Tri-Electric, Screen Pro Graphics, Ace Transmission, Spreen Race Engines, Mark Taylor Race Engines, Swenson Racing Chassis.

“I don't know how it worked out,” replied Swenson. “I just got up on the high side and found some sticky property. I was here a lot last year and found a high line I like. If you skirted the black you could get the right rear in some good track. It was just really slick on the bottom.”

“Starting that far back the first few laps is just a survival deal. Try to avoid trouble the first couple laps, then see what you've got. You just never know sometimes. We weren't very good in the heat race. I felt we were way off so we made a couple changes and the car came around, or the track came to us.”

IMCA Southern Sportmods

48 Chris Swenson

66y Randy Yount

4$ Kris Rye

92 Jason Stanley

22 Randy Bennett

175 Mickey Helms

37 Bill Pittaway

85 Jeff Nix

18s Roger Strickland

66 Johnny Torres

D9 Ray Doyon

4R Brian Rye

58 Moe VanKirk

10 Travis Penny

51 Greg Rohmer

4 Robby Minten

3J Jesse James

18 Larry Jernigan

12 Tator Mason

771 Wesley Malcher

99 Billy Meyer

IMCA SSM heat

Heat #1

37 Bill Pittaway

85 Jeff Nix

48 Chris Swenson

771 Wesley Malcher

18s Roger Strickland

10 Travis Penny

99 Billy Meyer---DNS

Heat #2

4R Brain Rye

66y Randy Yount

66 Johnny Torres

58 Moe VanKirk

D9 Ray Doyon

3J Jesse James

18 Larry Jernigan

Heat #3

92 Jason Stanley

4$ Kris Rye

22 Randy Bennett

51 Greg Rohmer

175 Mickey Helms

4 Robby Minten

12 Tator Mason

Shane Moore broke out front as green waved on the 20-lap Limited Late Model feature. Moore survived a tap by Russell Williams in turn 4 to lead the first lap. Williams did a 360 giving up second to Richard Bartosh and Wesley Skains who were side by side. Skains secured the spot as he and Bartosh closed on Moore. It was three wide for the lead on lap 3 with Bartosh, on the high side, getting the spot on lap 4.

Moore and Skains both went around as they scrapped it out for second, but continued on without caution. This left Bartosh with a big lead over multi-time track champ Gary Hunter, Patrick Kelly and Skains. Skains began to move back up taking third from Kelly on lap 6 and catching Hunter on lap 8. Skains gave Hunter several looks low while Bartosh increased his lead as the two battled.

Skains kept the pressure on Hunter until lap 16 when he spun in turn 4 and ended up on an infield tire. As racing resumed, Kelly now took up the hunt for second on Hunter. Williams and Skains spun in turn 4 collecting Moore to slow the action on lap 17.

On the restart, Craig Crawley gave Kelly a look low, but gave up fourth to Skains on the high side. Skains then picked off third from Kelly with two to go. Up front Bartosh had a comfortable margin on Hunter. Skains and Kelly continued to slug it out for third, with Kelly spinning on the last lap. Bartosh, in the Bauer Racing, Gateway Church, Bowen Welding, Sarges Discount Tools, T&S Bit Service sponsored car rolled on to the victory.

Tator Plumbing Limited Late Models

7 Richard Bartosh

14 Gary Hunter

25x Wesley Skains

6 Craig Crawley

84 Patrick Kelly

44 Russell Williams

18 Shane Moore

Limited Late Model heat winner; 7 Richard Bartosh

In the Street Stock feature Wade Jones got out to the lead on lap 1. Robert Dose went around with Dennis Hilla and Mike Lyon getting together avoiding Dose. Back under green Jones pulled away from AJ Wernette and Lyon. Hilla began to challenge Lyon for third with Hilla getting in deeper, but Lyon getting off the corner better. At halfway Jones had nearly a full straightaway advantage over Wernette with a gap back to Lyon and Hilla still getting after it for third.

Wernette, debuting a new car, pounded the front stretch wall on lap 10 to bring out a caution and erase Jones' lead. Jones easily motored away again leaving Dose and Hilla battling for third. Dose put a slide job on Hilla to get the spot on lap 13 with the two getting together on the last lap. Back up front it was Jones in the Opiela Mechanical, Mission Racing, SABFI, Jeff's Auto Rebuilders Camaro adding another win to his resume.

Street Stocks

41 Wade Jones

40 Mike Lyon

2x Dennis Hilla

51 Robert Dose

37 AJ Wernette

Street Stock heat winner; 41 Wade Jones

Defending class champ, Marc Roy jumped into the lead at the start of the 18-car, 20-lap Pure Stock feature. Pat Kelly sr and William Cavender were side by side for second followed by Jarrett Payton and Frank Okruhlik. Okruhlik got third from Payton on lap 3 as Roy started inching away. Ray Radicke brought out the yellow on lap 5 when he spun in turn 2. Roy got a three-car edge on Cavender when green waved again as the top four put some distance on Charlie Henley, Payton, and Sean Terry.

Kelly and Okruhlik were battling for third when Kelly broke and stopped along the back stretch on lap 10. Roy got a good jump on green while Okruhlik and Cavender ran door to door for second. Okruhlik got the spot with C. Henley following to third. This left Cavender side by side with Terry for fourth. Payton, who had trouble and lost several laps, spun in front of Roy who had nowhere to go and plowed into Payton.

The wreck left Roy with a loose bumper cover, but given the lead back. Roy had a few options. Pit to remove it and start at the rear, have track officials remove it and start at the rear, or continue hoping it wouldn't come off, cause a caution, and go to the rear. A quick thinking Roy chose an unsuspecting infield tire to clip and remove the loose cover while still under caution much to the delight of the crowd.

Finally back under green Roy and Okruhlik got away, but Gilbert Masicito spun in turn 2. On the next restart, the top four broke away with Okruhlik looking high on Roy for the lead. The two were side by side on lap 14 with Okruhlik getting the top spot on lap 15. Roy and C. Henley were door to door for second when Radicke found the turn 4 tire wall to bing out a caution.

Okruhlik got a good start leaving Roy and C. Henley battling for the runner up spot. On the final lap with Okruhlik easing away Roy and C. Henley were again side by side with Roy holding the spot as Okruhlik driving the Odie Racing, Ximenex Trucking sponsored Chevy Nova easily grabbed the checkers.

Pure Stocks

99 Frank Okruhlik

24 Marc Roy

23 Sean Terry

15 William Cavender

71 Mike Harrison

44 Justin Henley

7x Janel Hilla

43 Eric Watson

27 Emet Sevilla

77 Ray Radicke

72 Gilbert Masicito

00 Mickey Faulkner

88 Brandy Ramzinski

64k Pat Kelly sr.

9 Jarrett Payton

17Patrick White

98(66r) Richard Snyder

1 Charlie Henley---DQ(Tech)

Pure Stock heat winners; 1 Charlie Henley, 64K Pat Kelly sr., 24 Marc Roy

Cameron Smith jumped out front at the start of the 15-lap Front Runner feature. He, Courtney Jones and Roy Easler quickly began to put some distance on Ronnie Schoenfeldt and Charlie Earnhardt III. Earnhardt got past Schoenfeldt for fourth, while Easler started to smoke. Nick Hencey brought out the races only caution when he broke and stopped just short of the pit exit.

Once back to green Easler looked inside Jones for second while Steven Stanley took fifth from Schoenfeldt. Easler, not showing any smoke now, got the spot and tried to run down Smith. Smith and Easler puled ahead with Earnhardt closing on Jones for second. Neither battle for position materialized with Smith taking the win uncontested.

Front Runners

13 Cameron Smith

12 Roy Easler

9 Courtney Jones

33 Charlie Earnhardt III

96 Steven Stanley

35 James Samford

113 Hailee Marcx

57 Trevor Bettis

1 Ronnie Schoenfeldt

66c Cindy Snyder

98 Amber Clay

48 Dale Roelling

98E Elizabeth Brander

911 Nick Hencey

20 Brent Bouchillion

67 Richard Whitehead---DNS

86 Darian Nix---DNS

Front Runner heat winners; 13 Cameron Smith, 9 Courtney Jones

Thanks Jay, I appreciate the recap. And...... Someday when I grow up, I'll be able to post them nicely also! I hope GDiddy's gauge was broken, not the motor!!! I confess it was a bit weird seeing his name on the wrong end of the results list! Good 'un Jamie!

Thanks Jay, I appreciate the recap. And...... Someday when I grow up, I'll be able to post them nicely also! I hope GDiddy's gauge was broken, not the motor!!! I confess it was a bit weird seeing his name on the wrong end of the results list! Good 'un Jamie!

Really sucked watching him pull off and not return. I had thought that maybe he was off on his setup and was going in to make a tire change or something. It was a bitter sweet night for me. He held up his end of the deal but didn't get to race.

Archived