observations and sportsmanship

Street Stocks had 23 entries... Wow... If I counted right 21 or 22 made the call to the feature. I was a nervous wreck for us going into this one on the slick, but in the end somehow we only came out with a few very minor scratches. According to David Bruns "that s_ _ _ will buff out"...lol... After starting 18th, I was not expecting it, but it looked like we were gonna have a 5th or 6th place car and it was looking like we had the driver to get it done who had been inching her way up. But, instantly just like what happened to us in the heat, the car started pushing and this time with about 3 or 4 laps to go. I think it is a brake problem in the rear deciding not to work given that the car was fine one lap, there was caution laps to cool down the brakes and then on a restart, instantly differnet. So, we'll figure it out. She went from 5th or 6th back to 9th or 10th in 1 lap, so wisely when this would not cure, she felt she would be a hazard to herself and others, so she exited the track. In contrast to Danica this weekend at Indy, she did not blame it on the crew (me). She just took it in stride, blamed herself some, and that was that.... Oberservation #1 - I have an intelligent driver wise beyond her chronological years.

Observation #2 - The #77 was leading the street stock feature. There was going to be a real race up front between the 149 and 77 it appeared. But unfortunatly the #77 spun, and from track perspective it was going to be a penalty that was charged to the #1 car. The #77, said no, no, that was all my fault. Absolutely incredible that the leader would step up like that, charge himself with the penalty and go all the way to the back. Unfortunately working back up thru traffic he got the bad end of the deal from the #24 car spinning and catching the #77 in the rear. Hated to see the #77's luck go that way, but what a stand up thing to do by saying the first spin was his own fault and going to the back on his own, given there is a real points situation at hand for him. Hats off to you for your sportsmanship. You taught something to many last night, and probably never realized it

Observation #3 - The #149 can flat drive the dry slick. I've known the driver for 5 or 6 years. Established a friendship that has grown each passing year. He promoted the awesome TOBA series, and worked behind the scenes for dirt track racing over the last 10 year, even crew chiefing for his baby brother for the last 3 years, hasn't been driving himself in 10 years and now he's back. Wow, wow, wow. You are a driver son.... Next race, get to town early, and I'm buying you a double meat Whataburger. I am really wanting to see you and the #77 run together for several laps someday soon.

Observation #4 - As I predicted, there are some cars that were contendors. The #1, #35, #23 before he broke, and with a few bugs worked out the #1x is gonna be there as well. This class is moving, forward, forward, forward... It is conceivable that in this year, if the track will hold it to a max of a 24 car feature start, we could see a B-main on a regular season race. That would be awesome...

Observation #5 - I cannot focus on the front few cars in the Street Stock class for having such tunnel vision focusing on the #55 car, having my stomache churning with gut wrenching pains like I've never felt before when the Street Stocks are racing. I never thought I was going to be this nervous watching the girl race, but I think my hair is gonna turn grey fast. When the car is acting right, she is prolly good for a top 5, but when it goes sour, it just goes sour...

Observation #6 - It was so good to see Jim back at the track. You looked good my friend, was a pleasure getting to talk with you, and it was easy to see you were happy and in your zone. Very heart-warming to see you back.

-Monty

Its funny through competition you actually earn friendship! Monte you and your family are simply great people and we would take our shirts off for you guys. Might not want to see whats underneath but you know.... I was really looking fwd to a showdown with not just 77 but 35, 23, 1m, 1x, 50, boy the competition is stepping up. It was good to see cars coming back like both the 89's and several first time cars this year. My heat race alone felt like a feature quality competition. I want to say this and its nothing about bragging or anything like that but SOS has paid exactly what their purse structure says all year long! I know some questions and remarks came about last week in other classes but last night we were "given", I got to watch my words so we dont get in trouble here, the bonus purse of $400 to win plus being the featured class we received an additional $100 from the 50/50 money. It made getting home at 4:30 in the morning alot more enjoyable! Last night was the best night of the year and Jim was the one that started that off with his meeting! Man is inspirational period and thats what we loved from day one! Even though Nascar ran last night SOS had its best crowd of the year, fantastic! SOS is alive, growing and is back to being what it was last year. Anyone with any issues needs to be mature enough to one talk to Jim about it and two come back and be part of the show!

Well said Monty, as ususal..lol and Danielsen I do feel that there have been some shaky things go on out there since Jim has not had full control, but I do respect him tremendously and will listen to whatever he has to say because I know he is a man of his word, and has already started righting some of the wrongs that have turned so many people off, including me, and I thought I would never say that I wasnt having fun racing anymore. last night I had fun, with exception of the unfortunate racing accident that tore up Vince's car, I tried everything to get out of the pinch but I couldnt do it fast enough and our bumpers hooked, I feel really bad about that. I even got to hit my own car once last night, that was kinda cool.... :lol:

definatly well said, you, chris, and stephan are trully great racers and great men. at the end of the race y'all come together no matter what the outcome. i hope to see brian king's car out to give yall some more cometition soon also

Monty,

I know what your talking bout, thats the way I have been for about 17yrs now. Now I have 2 boys out there, routine starting all over.

and since you were standing up there by me on the fuel shed, thank you for not telling me to shut-up when I kept saying repeatedly "I wish they would go ahead up and throw the white flag"... lol

You know monty u do have some very good observations. But the ones that people dont see r the guys like me that work my a** off in the infield driving the wrecker. Its not easy but yet is done. And for the most part i try to keep people happy and try not to tear the cars up worse than they already r. And this past weekend was really an eventful nite for me. I only hasd one complaint and well we wont go there because of the damage he did on the track for intentionally taking a truck out for his first win........ But I will soon be back out in my street stock im hoping. We will have to see how things go. See yall next weekend at the track.

O and as far as the lineups with me on the track i wish all drivers would pay attention to me instead of just drivin past me like im nothing to them.

You know monty u do have some very good observations. But the ones that people dont see r the guys like me that work my a** off in the infield driving the wrecker. Its not easy but yet is done. And for the most part i try to keep people happy and try not to tear the cars up worse than they already r. And this past weekend was really an eventful nite for me. I only hasd one complaint and well we wont go there because of the damage he did on the track for intentionally taking a truck out for his first win........ But I will soon be back out in my street stock im hoping. We will have to see how things go. See yall next weekend at the track.

O and as far as the lineups with me on the track i wish all drivers would pay attention to me instead of just drivin past me like im nothing to them.

:(:rolleyes::lol: JK

Working for the track in one facet or another can be a thankless task. I can attest first hand that it is a chore working on the other side in any aspect whether it is the concesions, the wrecker, teching, promoting or whatever. We may not say it enough, but we do appreciate all the staff when we are the customer. I'm sure you have developed a new respect for the track staff, as many of us who have raced and then worked at a track have.

On a helpful note, the line ups could be done tremendously quicker and smoother with a couple of small changes. This is a simple approach that could be announced at the next drivers meeting if management desires. When there is a caution, all cars get in single file line where you think you are. The staff can make sure they are in line properly. If someone is not in the right spot they can be redirected up two or up three or whatever. Get everyone in single file line correctly then the double file. It is very easy at present to take a spot or two with how the relining is done. I know that for a fact, because we've been on the losing end and the gaining end of that. Also, I'm sure there is a good reason, but I'm puzzled why the board on the back straight is not being used. That would probably be very helpful. It is much easier to read the board than all of the hand signals.

The relineup is just like Monte said. When the yellow flag comes out everyone just simply needs to get in line no advancing of any kind! Bumper to bumper until the score keepers get their bearings and then start checking who is not in the right spot. Once the lineup is corrected the very next lap is when the official starts putting them inside outside row after row and that parts goes super fast because the next lap is back to racing. I was very proud of our TOBA series because one we had great score keeping and our cautions were short, sweet and back to racing with correct lineups. This had to be done because we raced a min. of 26 car fields and 30 lap mains.

Archived