Texas Thunder Speedway recaps 5/15/10

Anytime Child Care Night @ Texas Thunder Speedway, 5/15/10

By J M Hallas

Killeen, Tx., (May 15th, 2010) Being one of two tracks to get racing in due to rain outs, Anytime Child Care Night turned out to be one of the biggest nights for new promoter, David Goode. Cars from all over the state signed in with the top four in IMCA Modified points and six of the top ten all at the same place.

The IMCA Southern Sportmod class had three of the top four drivers, while the IMCA Stock Cars were represented by five of the top eight in the nation.

With that much talent on the track fans weren't disappointed with all the side by side action on the high-banked, ¼ mile dirt track. As special guests the Texas Children's Baptist Home had 25 youngsters in attendance who all went home with smiles on their faces.

Abilene's Elliott Ekes out Modified Main Win

Young Chris Elliott hadn't planned on racing at Texas Thunder Saturday night, but at the end made it pay off with a big win against some tough competition. Elliott stated mid-pack in the 25-car field and began his march forward. Elliott finally caught Benji Kirkpatrick past midway and after two unsuccessful attempts got the top spot, and some damage with two to go. Elliott then held off Chase Jupe the final circuits to grab a hard earned win.

As green waved on the 20-lap IMCA Modified main event Allen Waltermire was first into turn 1, but it was Jupe getting the point to lead lap 1, with GW Egbert IV moving into second. Kirkpatrick got past Egbert on lap 1, followed by Keith White. Kirkpatrick had just got under Jupe when yellow waved for a tangle between Cham Savage and Hardy Henderson in turn 2.

On the restart Kirkpatrick ducked under Jupe, while Egbert and White ran side by side for third. Jupe and Kirkpatrick crossed the line on lap 3 in a virtual dead heat until Kirkpatrick gained control on lap 4. White then moved along side Jupe and was pressuring Kirkpatrick, as Elliott cracked the top five getting around Ben Ketteman. Jupe and White made contact sending White around collecting Egbert in turn 3.

Once back to green, Kirkpatrick got away from Jupe who was now holding Elliott at bay. Before the lap was complete, National points leader Chris Dawson spun in turn 2 with Joe O'Bryan jumping the right rear with Joe Spillman and George Lamphere tangling to avoid the crash. As green waved again a pair of 23's, Elliott and Greg Atwood, battled for third coming to the halfway.

At the crossed flags, with the leaders in traffic, it was Kirkpatrick, Jupe, Elliott, Atwood and Ketteman in the top five with Elliott now putting some heat on Jupe. Yellow waved on lap 11 for Hardy Henderson who broke and spun on the front stretch, leaving parts on the track. The top three got away clean on green while Brad Jordan challenged Ketteman for fifth. Elliott snuck by Jupe for second on lap 13, while Kenny Stone took sixth from Ketteman.

Debris off Mike McCarthy brought out a caution to slow the action, setting up a long grinding shootout for the lead. Elliott took a peek under Kirkpatrick going into turn 1 and again coming out of turn 3. Elliott got nose inside Kirkpatrick on lap 14 but Kirkpatrick slammed the door in turn 3 with the two making contact. Jordan slowed on lap 15 stacking up that pack, with Ketteman and Cham Savage getting around Stone.

Jake Henderson looped his ride in turn 2 bringing out the yellow on lap 16. On the restart Elliott again ducked inside Kirkpatrick for the lead, but had the opening close abruptly in turn 3. Lamphere and Lee Chasse got together on lap 17 to bring the action to a halt once again. McCarthy, who had a rough night, came up lame just before the green and stopped in turn 2.

Finally back to racing, Elliott got the nose inside of Kirkpatrick, while Atwood took a look on Jupe. Elliott got along side Kirkpatrick coming out of turn 2 and got by on the back stretch. Kirkpatrick tried a crossover move in turn 3 and coming out of turn 4 made contact with Elliott. Kirkpatrick went airborne over the front Elliott and got turned in front of the pack. Savage, Atwood and Stone got caught up in the ensuing melee.

Elliott's, now wounded car, was able to continue on the point with Jupe on his tail for a green, white, checker finish. As the green flew Elliott inched out to a car length on Jupe, who now had Brad Jordan on his tail. Elliott in the Abilene Powder Coating, Jeff Taylor Motorsports, E&E Kustom, Braka Operating, Optima Batteries, Ultrashield Racing Products, Amsoil, Go Pro Camera, Fletchers Custom Engines, Taylor Chassis hung on the final laps for the victory.

“We really weren't planning on coming,” stated Elliott. “At 3:00pm I texted my crew chief Chase(Parson) to see if he wanted to go. We drove to Eastland, scaled the car and loaded up. We set a goal to have fun, not tear anything and try some changes on the car.”

“It was tough finding a line in the heat and we didn't free the car up enough. On that track the car has to really be able to rotate through the middle which is hard to do when corners are that tight. Before the feature we probably looked like we didn't know what we were doing. We went to watch a couple races and came back to make changes. We must of done that 3 times before the feature.”

“Getting through traffic is tough especially with everyones improvement this year. I was sitting back at the first of the race just kind of watching. Then we had a restart and (Chris)Dawson had come from last to starting beside me at that time, I figured it was time to go. We could eat them up getting in to the corners my car wanted to keep going deeper into the corner where they were already setting up. We had freed the car up to were I would just turn around the bottom. Chase(Jupe) and I had a really good race for 2nd. When he bobbled it was the only reason I got by him.”

“Benji(Kirkpatrick) ran me hard, which is understandable. He led the whole race and I was an out of towner. He did chop me 2-3 times getting into turn 3 and I let him go because I knew I was better than him. I was watching the lap count. We got by him clean off 2 and I felt a pop in the right rear to upset me and I said out loud in my helmet 'hear it comes'. I thought for sure he had ripped the left front shock off. I was calm and thought to myself we couldn't have gone somewhere new and won, that's just not in our luck. Luckily nothing was hurt on the car and I got my spot back, I knew I could cruise for 2 laps after that.”

“I can't thank my dad enough for all the hard work he does on the cars and the travel we put in. Chase drives to Eastland from Abilene to help work on the cars. Jeff Taylor is an awesome guy and he's building some great cars. Everyone asks why we got rid of the Hughes, that we haven't been as good. It's because we bought this and some forget I'm still learning. It's only my 3rd year racing anything all being in a modified and the floated setup is some hard stuff to learn. You can dial yourself out faster than you could imagine and we are learning and getting better each week thanks to all the calls to Jeff.”

Dodge Country IMCA Modifieds

23c Chris Elliott

303 Chase Jupe

3j Brad Jordan

37 Ben Kettemen

7x Chris Dawson

C4 Cham Savage

3w Terry Woodall

80 Dennis Taylor

223 Brian Sandage

247 Bill Lecompte

47 Benji Kirkpatrick

5k Kenny Stone

20 Mike McCarthy

49 Lee Chasse

23 Greg Atwood

19 George Lamphere

63j Jake Henderson

63 Hardy Henderson

52 Ken Old

717 GW Egbert

44x Joe O'Bryan

4s Joe Spillman

1 Keith White

97 Doug Lorenz

555 Allen Waltermire

IMCA Modified heats

Heat #1

555 Allen Waltermire

37 Ben Ketteman

717 GW Egbert

44x Joe O'Bryan

63 Hardy Henderson

C4 Cham Savage

63J Jake Henderson

5K Kenny Stone

Heat #2

47 Benji Kirkpatrick

23 Greg Atwood

3j Brad Jordan

97 Doug Lorenz

23c Chris Elliott

52 Ken Old

49 Lee Chasse

223 Brian Sandage

Heat #3

1 Keith White

303 Chase Jupe

44s Joe Spillman

80 Dennis Taylor

19 George Lamphere jr

247 Bill Lecompte

3w Terry Woodall(docked 1 lap passing before cone)

7x Chris Dawson

20 Mike McCarthy

White Whips 'Em One More Time

Current SSM points leader multi-time SSM champion, Keith White returned to the track that gave him many of his career wins. It was like White never left as he easily out-distanced the 22-car field. White got the point from early leader Albert Wininger and promptly checked out. Only a late caution gave anyone a sniff at White's bumper who again jumped out and pulled away from Mark McDaniel, Ronnie Bell and Don Painter.

Polesitter, Wininger grabbed the early lead, with David Goode jr second and three wide racing for sixth. Benny Fajkus spun off the back stretch while Tim Foster was spinning in turn 3 to bring out the caution. Once back to green, White made quick work f Goode for second , with Keith Martin, Painter and Sarah Goode three wide for fifth. White got inside Wininger on lap 2 and snagged the top spot on lap 3.

D. Goode followed White by Wininger for second, with Martin along side Wininger for third. Painter was next in line to put Wininger back a spot taking fourth on lap 4. Martin took second from D. Goode on lap 5, as White began checking out. White was forced three wide in traffic but never missed a beat retaining his margin over Martin. At halfway it was White, on cruise control, Martin, D. Goode, Painter and Jared Rady in the top five.

White hit heavy traffic on lap 14, but caution waved when Edward Schmidt an Rady tangled collecting Colton Monroe and Mark McDaniel. On the restart White had Martin on his tail, but with a broken left front suspension. As green flew White rocketed off, with D. Goode getting by the wounded car of Martin for second. Martin, Rady and Painter were three wide for third as Martin tried to hang on.

Martin eventually looped it in turn 4 and stopped in the infield without caution. Rady tagged Painter battling for third with Painter loosing spots to Ronnie Bell and McDaniel. Not that he needed any help, but this gave White a huge advantage as the former track champion motored to the checkers in the Braka Operating, Tracey's Auto Sales, TCI, Cen-Tex Motorsports, Western Flyer Chassis.

“Reading the racetrack is my key here,” replied White. “I really felt the bottom would be there. I didn't get to watch the race before me, but the bottom felt good on the warm up lap. I went to the bottom and everyone went to middle and top and I got by a bunch of cars early. That makes it a whole lot easier, no doubt.”

“Our car has a baseline and we've got it pretty good. It's the way we run it everywhere we go. But definitely my experience here lets me know when I need to be on the bottom or on the top. He(David Goode) has done such good work on the track that it stays good longer.”

“I've got enough help here to make changes between the features. I've got three crew chiefs with me tonight,” joked White. “So I had plenty of people. These cars are two new race cars this year. I've got them both real comfortable to drive s we don't have to change much on either one.”

“The Modified race wasn't as good,” added White. “We were all trying to get to the bottom and I got turned around. We broke a tie rod end and shock. It wasn't worth trying to fix it and start that far back. That was probably a good choice with all the carnage out there. I think we had something for them. We got by a few again before the crash.”

Danny's Transmissions IMCA Southern Sportmods

1 Keith White

11m Mark McDaniel

69 Ronnie Bell

10d Don Painter

2m Brittany McElroy

8 Jared Rady

712 Colton Monroe

2 Benny Fajkus

123(65) Randy Doyle

05 Dennis Purrington

75 Edward Schmidt

36 Tim Foster

11 Lydon Kirk jr

27j Garrett Jonse

85 Keith Martin

40 Albert Wininger

13 Sarah Goode

48 Mitch Tierney

989 Clark Warren

224 Mike McDougal

7g David Goode jr--DQ(Vacuum)

65(123) Greg Atwood---DNS(Gave car to Doyle)

IMCA SSM Heats

Heat #1

1 Keith White

13 Sarah Goode

05 Dennis Purrington

2 Benny Fajkus

36 Tim Foster

101/65 Randy Doyle

27j Garrett Jonse

Heat #2

10D Don Painter

40 Albert Wininger

7g David Goode jr

85 Keith Martin

989 Clark Warren

11m Mark McDaniel

123 Greg Atwood

69 Ronnie Bell

Heat #3

712 Colton Monroe

48 Mitch Tierney

224 Mike McDougal

8 Jared Rady

2m Brittany McElroy

11 Lyndon Kirk jr.

75 Edward Schmidt

Atwood Aces Sportmod Make Up Feature

Resuming a race that got rained out last weekend on lap 3, Greg Atwood led the field back to green trailed by David Goode jr., Randy Doyle(in Keith Whites car), Sarah Goode and Mark McDaniel in the top five. As the green flew D. Goode got sideways and collected Rady giving Atwood and Doyle the chance to pull away. S. Goode had a spin on lap 5 while running fourth.

With the lead duo increasing their margin, Doyle tried to keep the pressure on Atwood, but lost ground on lap 8. Dennis Purrington and Albert Wininger battled and swapped fifth back in he pack. With five to go, Atwood had built a big lead on Doyle who had D. Goode closing. Atwood, in the www.affordableseptics.com, Accent Plumbing, Tommy Dorsey Water Conditioning, Sundown Ranch, Outlaw Race Engines powered, Smileys Chassis easily cruised to the win, and promptly had the car bought after the race.

“Well, no more Sportmod racing for me unless I pick up a ride,” commented Atwood who just closed escrow on his car after the race.”I've run that car enough I pretty much know by just looking at the track what to do an where to run. Obviously getting out of my Modified I knew where the slick spots were and what lines to runs. That definitely helps.”

“I look at starting partway through a make-up race the same. You just have to get through the first few laps and be patient. I got lucky and got to restart on the front after leading last week. It worked out really good.”

“I've got many, many laps around here. I really like what he(Goode) has done with the track. He's widened it up and it gives you more room to escape and more grooves to race in. We really haven't had to change much. I might be a little lower on gear to run on the bottom, but my old set-up works for me at this point.”

IMCA Southern Sportmod Makeup Feature

23 Greg Atwood

1(65) Randy Doyle

7g David Goode

2 Benny Fajkus

8 Jared Rady

11m Mark McDaniel

40 Albert Wininger

13 Sarah Goode

36 Tim Foster

05 Dennis Purrington

75 Edward Schmidt

11g Eddy Grmela

707 Phil Egbert

Dunn Does It for I-Stock win

In the highly competitive IMCA Stock Car feature David Dunn took over the lead near halfway from Ronnie Ellis. Dunn then had to hold off past champion Eric Jones and on final charge by Ellis at the finish to hold on for the win in the ARD Racing, Kilpatrick & Associates sponsored IMCA Stock Car.

The front row of birthday boy, Pat Wilson and Mike McCarthy stayed side by side until the former track promoter, Wilson got the advantage on lap 1. Ellis got around Wilson on lap 2 for the point, while Robin Rasmussen-Batt, Peter Delevan and Trevor Sparkman were three wide for fifth. Dv. Dunn took second from Wilson leaving him door to door with Matt Guillaume for third. National points leader, Duain Pritchett brought a yellow on lap 4 when he rolled to a stop in turn 4.

On the restart Ellis, Dv. Dunn and Guillaume were almost three wide for the lead with Dv. Dunn able to sneak by on lap 6 for the top spot. Eric Jones moved in on Guillaume and took third on lap 7 and second from Ellis on lap 8. With the top four now nose to tail, Jason Batt got fifth from Wilson on lap 9. With Ellis and Guillaume side by side for third, Jones was looking for the lead. Jones got inside only to see Dv. Dunn close the door in turn 3. On the last lap Jones tried Dv. Dunn low again giving Ellis a run on top. Dv. Dunn Held off the charges of both while Ellis got second at the line from Jones.

Corbin & Assoc. IMCA Stock Cars

24D David Dunn

14 Ronnie Ellis jr.

84x Eric Jones

50 Matt Guillaume

9 Jason Batt

97 Pat Wilson

98 Peter Delevan

20 Trevor Sparkman

489 Anthony Otken

22d Duain Pritchett

3 Robin Rasmussen-Batt

96 Richard Valentine

07d Dennis Bissonette

4 Ken Plonsky

693 Danny Dunn

T4 Tony Hamil

20 Mike McCarthy

31 Chuck Hatfield

555 Austin Smith---DNS

27 Joe Charnock---DNS

I-Stock Heats

Heat #1

24D David Dunn

20 Mike McCarthy

3 Robin Rasmussen-Batt

84 Eric Jones

4 Ken Plonsky

07 Dennis Bissonette

31 Chuck Hatfield

Heat #2

97 Pat Wilson

98 Peter Delevan

9j Jason Batt

50 Matt Guillaume

96 Richard Valentine

27 Joe Charnock

Heat #3

14 Ronnie Ellis jr

489 Anthony Otken

T4 Tony Hamil

20 Trevor Sparkman

22D Duain Pritchett

555 Austin Smith

693 Danny Dunn

No Toying Around for Toyne in Street Stock Feature

Austin area driver, and part -time pavement racer, Duane Toyne showed he could handle the dirt just as well as the asphalt. Toyne worked his way to the lead just past halfway and held off a late charge by team mate Terry Tschoerner to give the TBS Racing team their first dirt win, along with 1-2 finish.

Jacob Wininger jr. led the 21-car field into turn 1 for th start of the 20-lap feature with three wide racing for fourth. As the top five sorted out single file it was still three abreast for sixth and tenth in the pack. Wininger and Toyne eased away from Ronnie Ellis and Tony McPherson sr. Wininger and Toyne were nose to tail as they hit traffic on lap 4. Ro. Ellis closed on the two but got hung behind a slower car, falling back.

Coming to halfway Wininger had Toyne back on his tail, while Ro. Ellis tried to make up lost ground and Tschoerner along with Paul Kohl rounding out the top five. Wininger slipped getting by traffic with Toyne getting inside, but yellow waved for Ro. Ellis and Kevin Ashley who tangled for a yellow on lap 11. On the restart Toyne ducked low and got along side Wininger. The two ran side by side down the back stretch with Toyne getting the advantage to lead lap 12.

Tschoerner followed Toyne past Wininger for second, while Kohl and Dennis Simmons ran side by side for fifth and Ro. Ellis worked his way back to sixth. Tschoerner caught Toyne in traffic, as Tim Carmen jr. took third from Wininger on lap 15. Tschoerner gave his buddy one last try on the final lap, but it was Toyne in the Frontline Delivery, Terry's Body Shop, Pistole's Transmissions, Precise Machine, Stoke Sign, Camaro scoring the win.

*** Toyne and Tschoerner also squared off in round 1 of the Street Stock King of the Hill race, with Toyne winning after Tschoerner went around, giving Toyne full team bragging rights the week.

Goode Towing Street Stocks

48x Duane Toyne

01 Terry Tschoerner

0 Tim Carmen jr

214 Ronnie Ellis

83 Dennis Simmons

96 Paul Kohl

84 Tony McPherson sr.

27 Tim Fasano

96v Tony McPherson jr.

2 Kevin Ashley

48 Ryan Anderson

8W Steve Wade

42 Jacob Wininger

23 Leon Mendenhall

9 Carl Boettcher

28 Donald Merritt

3 Gary Norman

69 Jesse Johnson

19 Dean Silva--BF(Smoking)

14 Ryan Ellis--BF(Smoking)

43 Gene Burnett

Street Stock heat winners; 9 Carl Boettcher, 42 Jacob Wininger jr, 214 Ronnie Ellis

Street Stock Make-up King of the Hill; Tim Carmen jr defeats Tim Fasano

As the Dwarf Car feature took the green GW Egbert IV quickly asserted himself out front with Billy White, Joseph Snow, Scott Lindquist and Michael Dion along side Jeremy Wilcox. As Egbert pulled away White Snow and Lindquist battled for second. Snow got the spot when White got hung by a slower car. Snow and Wilcox tangled on lap 7 in turn 4 to bring out a yellow.

Back under green, Egbert again eased away while Lindquist go past White second. Snow quickly moved his way back up getting by White again for third on lap 9. Lindquist had night end when he broke axle, sending White on a ride over the loose wheel. On the restart Snow hung on to Egbert as the two batled in the final laps for the win. Egbert driving the E&E Collision, 121 Towing, NAPA, the Car Shop sponsored Dwarf Car held off Snow on the final lap for the win.

Reds BBQ Dwarf Cars

717 GW Egbert IV

01s Joseph Snow

17 Billy White

07 Michael Dion

3c Brian Schieble

13s Carl McConnell

10 Scott Lindquist

31 Jeremy Wilcox

Dwarf Car heat winner; 17 Billy White

Brenda Mitchell was out front first in the 23-car, 15-lap Texas Twister feature with Michael Hilliard and Austin Smith in pursuit. They were three wide for lead on lap, with a four abreast battle behind them for fourth. Hilliard came out with the lead, Smith second and Neil Powell, Mitchell, Don Krahn, Zach Driscoll and Shelby Ellsworth sorting out. Smith reeled in Hilliard on lap 4 and the duo diced through traffic, Smith got out front on lap 6.

Yellow waved on lap 10 when Monique Bagent stopped in turn 2 and was rear-ended by Adrain Lee. With Hilliard black flagged for smoke, Smith was able to get a good jump on green while Ellsworth, Driscoll and Zach Riley battled for fifth. Mark Mrozinski got into Riley sending him around bringing the yellow back out. Once back to green, Smith, Powell and Mitchell pulled away with Smith in the Cullen-Dixon Trucking, Smith Construction, Grayson Trucking car taking his fourth victory of the season.

Budweiser Racing Texas Twister

313 Austin Smith

02 Neil Powell

10 Brenda Mitchell

110 Zach Riley

151 Shelby Ellsworth

35 Zach Driscoll

28 Jeffery Hunter

37 James Deane

77y Kevin Yagalla

01 Bo Duke

88 Adrian/Shelly Lee

11 Colby Krahn

17 Don Krahn

07 Monique Bagent

84 Kevin Harper

23 Michael Hilliard

35x Mark Mrozinski

244 Jimmy Lambert

56 Jacob Sakhini

20 Jackie Ashlock

56s Shelly Sakhini

51 Tommy Hultz

5 Erin Wood

Wow Reb,

It's almost like I was sitting next to you as you took notes!

Oh wait, I was. LOL

Congratulations to the winners, what a night of racing that was! Glad I have one of the best seats in the house for shows like that.

Stay safe,

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Archived