LaFont team dominates Super Stock race at Thunderhill Raceway

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Debbie Williams, 210-685-0400 (cell), debbie@thunderhillraceway.com

Thunderhill Raceway Media & Public Relations Director

LaFont team dominates Super Stock race at Thunderhill Raceway

KYLE, TX (May 11, 2010) – Although it was Mother’s Day weekend, it was a father-son duo that stole the show in Saturday night’s ASA A-Line Super Stock race at Thunderhill Raceway.

Clint LaFont, who was last year’s track champion and ASA West Regional Champion, got the honor – or maybe it was the pressure – of competing against his dad, the legendary Bobby LaFont, in the Super Stock feature race.

Coming off a win on April 24, Clint started out in the 9th position in the 13-car field. His dad started out all the way in the back of the 25-lap race. By the halfway point, Clint had worked his way up into second, and Bobby had moved up to fourth.

Clint started out cautiously and felt his patience would pay off in the end. “At the beginning of the race, I took it easy after I noticed some of the other drivers were fighting handling issues,” said Clint.

Following a couple of early cautions, Clint tried to adjust to the new double-file restart lineups. “The double-file restarts actually worked to my benefit for this race,” commented Clint. “But I’m not sure how it will work in the future since our slower (lapped) cars have to go to the outside. I know we’re capable of running on the outside, but it scares me to think of how some of the drivers will handle the outside lane on restarts.”

Clint battled JC Pilcher, who was the pole sitter, for several laps before taking the lead on Lap 15. “I really enjoyed racing side-by-side with JC,” said Clint. “He’s had a lot of bad luck, and his car was finally running really good. It was some of the best, clean, hard racing I could ask for!”

Clint said he relies on his dad’s past example to get to the front. “I kept thinking of how my dad would work his way through traffic and make his way to the front,” said Clint. “But not long after I took the lead, I saw on the scoreboard that he (Bobby) was running fifth. Two or three laps later he was running in third. During the last few laps, I knew he was in second and would be coming at me for the lead. I thought I might even have to get up on the wheel to hold him off.”

Clint managed to stay in front until the checkered was thrown, and he was all smiles when his dad joined him in the winner’s circle for the first time. And Bobby was certainly the “proud papa.”

“It makes it all worthwhile, especially since we work on the cars together all week,” commented Bobby. “Even though we’re family, we’re competitors on the track. On the restarts, I was right on his bumper and squeezing him a bit. But his car had better handling.”

Bobby has raced for many years, and he’s certainly not a newcomer to victory lane. He doesn’t intend to sit back and let Clint win just because he’s his son. “I’ve already made some changes on my car so I can compete more closely with Clint in the future.”

This father-son team will be racing against each other again at Thunderhill Raceway’s next event that’s scheduled for Saturday, May 22, starting at 6 p.m.

Thunderhill Raceway is a 3/8-mile, D-shaped asphalt oval track that’s located at 24801 IH-35, on the access road just north of San Marcos (TX) near Yarrington Road (Exit #210). Information on Thunderhill Raceway may be found on the track website at www.thunderhillraceway.com.

ASA A-Line Super Stocks 25-lap feature results:

1. 3 Clint LaFont Volente, TX 25 laps QT 16.561 Fast Time

2. 88 Bobby LaFont Volente, TX 25 laps QT 17.094

3. 05 Brandon Leonard Austin, TX 25 laps QT 16.957

4. 15 JC Pilcher Castroville, TX 25 laps QT 16.865

5. 16 Mason Teague Paige, TX 25 laps QT 16.616

6. 18 Mickey McKim Manchaca, TX 25 laps QT 16.761

7. 73 Jim Teague Paige, TX 25 laps QT 16.858

8. 80 Allen Alexander San Antonio, TX 25 laps QT 16.726

9. 02 Doug Ayers Pflugerville, TX 25 laps QT 16.690

10. 4 Duane Toyne Cedar Park, TX 25 laps QT 16.598

11. 11 Tracy Tschoerner Thrall, TX 20 laps QT 16.971

12. 19 David Sevilla Jr. San Antonio, TX 12 laps QT 16.729

13. 9 Chris Birmingham Leander, TX 12 laps QT 17.011

QT – Qualifying Time

- 30 -

post-29-1273590816.jpg

Bobby and Clint LaFont celebrate 1-2 Finish in Winner's Circle. Jeff Garvin Photo.

Archived