powerstroke

cps went out on mine so i bought a new one from oreillys and within about 2 weeks it went out again...this time bought the new b model motorcraft and havent had a problem with it for 100,000 or so. id also suggest checkin the plug in first. hope it helps

cps went out on mine so i bought a new one from oreillys and within about 2 weeks it went out again...this time bought the new b model motorcraft and havent had a problem with it for 100,000 or so. id also suggest checkin the plug in first. hope it helps

I started to say the say thing as far as bad CPS's other than Ford/International. I would put original back in it and call dealer with VIN. They may pay to tow it...

You might try taking the plug apart to make sure a wire is not broken at the crimp in the plug. Also squeeze the connectors down with a pair of pliers so they make a better connection to the pins in the sensor. I dont know if this will help you or not and I have never messed with a cam sensor on a power stroke but in most cases there are 3 wires going to a cam sensor. one with 9 or 12 volts, one ground, and one with 5 volts. Usually all of these come strait from the computer, even the ground. With the sensor unplugged probe the connectors in the plug with a digital volt meter, if your missing power or ground on one check about an inch or so down the harness. If you have power there its a bad plug if not its prolly a broken wire or connection in the harness somewhere . I have had to run a new wire from a sensor to a computer many times in my life.To check this you might have to jump the shutdown relay other wise you will only have power on these wires for a few seconds after you turn the key on. hope this helps.

Just remembered. I have a friend who had issues hauling a trailer back from Colorado. Turns out he was several quarts low on oil and as he would go up a hill it would cut out. The injection system is oil pressured controlled(Good point). Check your oil level. (Not CPS related but may be the issue).

CPS is a common problem for Powerstroke engines. It is nothing but a coil of wire sensing a magnet in the cam gear.. If there are metal filings on the sensor, it will shunt the field, preventing the sensor from getting a good signal. !994 - 1996 sensors are silver plated contacts, 1997 + are gold plated. the late sensor will work in early models - mine has been in 80000+ miles.

Powerstroke requires 25 PSI low pressure oil to allow system to activate injectors - symptom hot engine restart problem..

1996 Powerstroke 280,000 miles..

CPS is a common problem for Powerstroke engines. It is nothing but a coil of wire sensing a magnet in the cam gear.. If there are metal filings on the sensor, it will shunt the field, preventing the sensor from getting a good signal. !994 - 1996 sensors are silver plated contacts, 1997 + are gold plated. the late sensor will work in early models - mine has been in 80000+ miles.

Powerstroke requires 25 PSI low pressure oil to allow system to activate injectors - symptom hot engine restart problem..

1996 Powerstroke 280,000 miles..

x2. 280K on my 95. Cam Position Sensor failed about 200K. It's accessable on my truck and we changed it ourselves on the side of the road HA. No issue since but I put a new cps and a serp drive belt under the back seat.

Jay

No issue since but I put a new cps and a serp drive belt under the back seat.

I've heard of relocating stuff like batteries and ECUs but this is QUITE different. :blink:

I think he forgot to add the part where he has a couple of mice under there for extra power. They need to be kept in time as well ya know!

just FYI....

Serpentine belt's fixed idler (on the extreme left looking from in front of the engine failed today.

Autozone $23

So at the risk of more good natured kidding, I put another of these under the rear seat...don't forget the Torx socket

Jay

just FYI....

Serpentine belt's fixed idler (on the extreme left looking from in front of the engine failed today.

Autozone $23

So at the risk of more good natured kidding, I put another of these under the rear seat...don't forget the Torx socket

Jay

Jay,

It really is a good idea especially for those who travel alot. Also, a few extra 5 gallon jugs of diesel are a good idea as one never knows if he is going to run out of fuel because some small town doesnt have diesel.

Oh, did you make sure the mice didn't chew on the new belt? I hear "stop squeek" works for them.... :P

Mark

• 1 month later...

And don't forget the dialectric grease in the plug when you replace the cps.

If you make the mistake of cleaning out the plug really well before plugging it in to the new cps you'll probably find yourself wondering why your check engine light comes on and your truck runs like poo, and dies a lot when you drive it in the rain for more than 10-15 minutes.

Archived