PayPal

PAPA

OK...before I start I want to tell you that Nick or anyone else is aware of this posting. Nick might even take it down, I dont know.

As you know it takes $$ to keep the things that we want and enjoy. Most of the time it takes LOTS of $$. Advertising helps with all the cost but if you want to add something you need to find more $$. Yes Im talking about LSS here. Many times it has been mentioned that Live Video is possible on here but it takes lots of $$. Most of us dont have lots of $$ but many of us has a little. If it was possible for LSS to put up a PayPal account on here would any one see that as wrong and if you could would you use it to help out? I would. This is just a thought on my part. Like I said Nick or LSS has no knowledge of this. Lets hear what you have to say. Thanks

I know TexasDirtNetwork streams live dirt track races. The service is actually FREE via ustream. The cameras are not that expensive. You could probably do it for under $500 and get sponsors to pick up that tab.

However, what will it do to attendance? Will people stop going to the track and watching online? Some people say it will actually improve attendance, by showing how good the racing is? This is a hot topic. I have personally thought about streaming races before, but it takes a lot of networking with the tracks and they have to see benefit in it as well.

I think maybe live radio would be good. This is REALLY cheap to do and can be used in conjunction with live chat via BlogTalkRadio.com. This way we can hear more of the action, rather than just read.

I think this would let people see what they are missing by not going to see it live. Nick would not be at that track every race. He could mix it up and go to asphalt and dirt. Maybe a drag race or two. If the PayPal was in effect we could donate money as often as our budget allows and would help with his traveling expenses and what ever. I think this would be another avenue for tracks to let people know whats going on. I dont want to take $$ away from tracks by "Stealing" their customers. I think it would help put butts in the seats. jmo

I don't know how PAPA always knows when I'm away from the computer. My wife and I volunteer at the St. Mary's University Fiesta Oyster Bake each year and today was the day. I just got home.

PAPA's right about one thing for sure. I had no idea he was planning to post this proposal and if he had asked, I would have said.. Nope, please don't.

I am always looking for ways to promote racing in Texas and have invested a lot of time, money and effort into doing so. But I know that most racers spend more money than I do every year because I've done both. So I never try to make the case that people should feel obligated to donate a penny to me or Lone Star Speedzone.

I do, however, offer opportunities to advertise on Lone Star Speedzone and I will continue to do so. If we ever get enough businesses advertising, we will definitely look at live internet radio and video as possibilities. In the meantime, Duke O'Connor with TexasHighDef has been absolutely a blessing by producing some great LSS video segments without charging LSS a penny! That goes way beyond the call of duty. Most production companies would charge between $400 and $500 a segment!

So... no. The "donations" route is not the way we would like to go. I would much prefer to offer a really productive advertising package to those businesses that see the value in reaching the Texas racing community with their products and services.

I really appreciate the thought and good will that went into this thread, but the way to really help is to round about all the businesses you can think of to advertise here on Lone Star Speedzone.

Nick

I think this would let people see what they are missing by not going to see it live. Nick would not be at that track every race. He could mix it up and go to asphalt and dirt. Maybe a drag race or two. If the PayPal was in effect we could donate money as often as our budget allows and would help with his traveling expenses and what ever. I think this would be another avenue for tracks to let people know whats going on. I dont want to take $$ away from tracks by "Stealing" their customers. I think it would help put butts in the seats. jmo

I would like to add one thing to what Nick has alraedy said. We have been talking about shooting at some Dirt Tracks and I would like to shoot at the Drags to sometime. I am already hooked up to shoot the Dragboats in Marble Falls this year and to shoot the Quarter Midgets Nationals in Austin. Boy I sure hope we have good weather for next week at THR because I can tell already it is going to be a Great Show. Maybe with this weekend being so crappy that mean next weekend will be beautiful!! See you at The Races!!

Duke

ps here are two of the videos I shot at the Dragboats last year. Talk about some hp!! 0 to 250 in less than 5sec on water. When they hit it the whole boat jumps out of the water and then it is gone!!

Raw Sounds Video

Art piece with a blend of sounds

Hey Nick,

Just a thought but on Nascars website you can keep up with the racing via a live leader board. All it is, is a display of transponders at the start finish line. Im not sure if its even possible with what transponder system is in place now but it was just a thought.

Hey Nick,

Just a thought but on Nascars website you can keep up with the racing via a live leader board. All it is, is a display of transponders at the start finish line. Im not sure if its even possible with what transponder system is in place now but it was just a thought.

I like that, Cory. I'll look into that for sure.

Nick

For radio broadcasts, KMACSports.com and Chuck Licata have provided great live TSRS races over the years. Chuck and Mike Haag did all THR classes opening night. They plan to do a broadcast this weekend too. Of course preferably, being at the track is the best way to catch the action. But if you can't be there, definitely listen to KMAC and tune into LSS/Nick at the same time. Basically, all these guys do it gratis. Big THANKS!!! out to ya.

http://www.kmacsports.com/

After reading these thoughts and pondering myself, I think promo's would work from both sides. The fans would not sit home and watch it on the web (nothing beats the real deal) for long if the coverage was only say quals and maybe even the early heats. In fact if the majority of the camera shots were such that the fans could wave high to Mom in the background - not only would interest be sparked for new fan attendance (in business we are always looking for new clients) the existing fans could have the choice of being there early and getting their moment of fame - or arriving knowing what has set the stage for the nights drama.

But either way I agree with Nick that it should be on a sponsorship basis. My thinking being that after "donating" a few bucks many would feel they have paid their dues and are entitled to input - advertisers are paying for what they get (name exposure), where my experience has been that donors think they are paying for whatever they expect - be the expectations realistic or not.

This is why races like the Chili Bowl are NOT real time televised......I know the WoO Late Model Series didn't really want TDN to do a live feed at the Battleground race.....

Personally I'm "on the fence" regarding this subject.....I see the pros and the cons.....The biggest negative is the POTENTIAL of keeping butts out of actual track seats......That's one sure way to have tracks go belly up.....

There are several "online" networks that broadcast live feeds of dirt track racing....Some of them are free, others are like pay-per-view tv specials.....

here's a thought:

from a fan's perspective, maybe a "pay-to-watch live feed"? that way, as far as money goes, it's covered and it won't tempt people to stay home and watch for free. if they have to pay for it, then it would fall (probably) to just those that absolutely can't make it to that particular race. the folks that just don't wanna go to the track, can decide where they wanna spend their money..online, or at the track...

i know that i've been torn between races in the past and always enjoyed the race i attended, but regretted only being able to read about the one i missed...or, i've been tied up with other affairs and simply couldn't be at a race physically. the live stream would make it nice when i'm away from a particular track...

but! i, personally, will always attend any race that i can make..

again, just a thought...

Archived