Nova street stock?

keyman

I was thinking of building a Nova for the street stock class at Thunderhill but the last time I was there everyone was running Camaros. The Camaros were always chasing the Novas back then(10-12 years ago), what has changed? Can a Nova still work, thanks

A Nova can still work. If that's what I had for a builder car, I'd build it. However, if I had my choice of cars, I'd go with the Camaro hands down.

Is it because of aerodynamics, or are the chassis different?

lol...weight is not really an issue....unless your rules are below 2,800#. On leaf spring placement...do you have an issue with traction on asphalt? I personally like the longer wheel base of a nova...but I like the look of a camaro...unless the entire class is camaros...as for overall speed...once you spend the 20 grand it will cost you to build a car with the best of the best...either one would win with a good driver...lol I would rather see someone build a different car, instead of just following the leader. AJ

The Nova has a front end that you can work with if you know what geometry you're wanting to end up with - and the rear spring location isn't all that bad. Yes, most aftermarket leaf springs are pretty much rated for what Camaros typically use, but a spring is a spring is a spring, and there are folks who will sell you pretty much any rate you need.

To me, the hard work is getting the weight out of the Nova and ending up with getting optimal weight distribution. It can be done, but it's not handed to you like it is with a Camaro. It has been done in the past and with the proper spring/shock package, saavy roll center locations and a well-thought out geometry design, it's every bit as fast the Camaro provided everything else (power, driver, etc) is equal.

I'd rather work with a Camaro in that class, but the Nova is not a bad choice if done right.

Nick

Camaros are lighter and have better leaf spring placement.

Thanks, been wondering about that for awhile.Anybody want to buy a Nova :lol:

Oh now you say this - I was looking for one to build (street show) for my wife. We found a 57 3100 Wed and bought it Thursday!

Camaro Nova not much difference to bitch about. I have seen both do very well. Its just the driver along with a decent set up that makes the difference. Here are the two diffenences that come into play, 1. Rear sping location is 2 inches more narrow than a camaro 2. the front frame horns are heavier than the camaro. If built acording to the rules weight is no problem on either car. nor is shock or spring package. Front Geo is almost exactly the same as the camaro also. In my opioion they are exactly the same to work with. The biggest differece is the body and maybe the front down force, but Lefthander has a new Monte Carlo nose peice that can help equal front down force between both cars.

Camaro or Nova they are both the same to me. With the exception of the exterior looks.

If you ask me I would rather see a metric frame Monte Carlo take full advantage of the rules and kick some Camaro ass and leave people wondering what just happened.

I was thinking of building a Nova for the street stock class at Thunderhill but the last time I was there everyone was running Camaros. The Camaros were always chasing the Novas back then(10-12 years ago), what has changed? Can a Nova still work, thanks

I had no problems with the nova, if i were going to build a super stock i would prob go with a camaro, all info and parts are based on the cam geo, but i really had fun with my nova waddy

• 3 months later...

First post. Hello forum!

I built a nova, to be different.

Now I feel the nova is maxed out and Im switching the parts to a camaro if that says anything.

Novas just are not meant to be as fast as a camaro. The camaro has more potential.

So if you are spending $$ to go fast, why leave some on the table for style points?

This nova weighed 2950 at 57 left 49 R. The weight sits up higher in the floorboards and rear firewall than a camaro. A nova was not built to be a sportscar!

Everything being equal, the camaro should be faster.

Nova might be better at a 3/8ths or larger with lazy turns.

The drive shaft tunnel isnt as deep, rear suspension rolls more, rear frame kickups arent as high etc. Things you dont know til you build one. This one was a front steer 71 omega at a 100 lap invite. Broke the event record by .5 and won the fast heat, earning pole.

Opps I see Superstocks are allowed to do a lot more than I was. Please disregard a lot.

Yes the Nova passed many camaros.

938975565_DzBym-M.jpg

At one time wasn't there a nova the 51 I think that ran at THR

There have been several Novas that ran well at THR - 51 was Greg Rohmer. Shawn Paul Lehman and Junior Medlock ran Novas. SP won a championship with his. Marc Currey won a championship with the 05 rocketship Nova. We had one in our earlier days there. Marcus Kinsey and Matt Hodge have run Novas. Bubba Gustafson has one...the list goes on. They can be competitive with the Camaros, I just wouldn't make one my first choice if I had a choice.

yes that is it. Up in Gary Lewis/Garrett Evans country.

The other track pictured is here: http://www.youtube.com/user/rampage7777#p/u/33/pg1n3J5NdGg

So wide, progressive banking. Ever see a nicer track. Its wayyyy up in Saskatoon Sask. There was a polar bear by corner #3. haha

Anyways ANY car can be fast, but some have a higher potential or can be fast easier than others.

Archived