True test for the new Cup spoilers comes this weekend at TMS

True Test comes for new Cup spoilers this weekend at TMS

FORT WORTH, Texas (April 13, 2010) – NASCAR’s move from the wing to the spoiler on the rear deck lid is heading into its third week, but this week’s Samsung Mobile 500 at Texas Motor Speedway should provide the first true test in terms of downforce and

aerodynamics for the Sprint Cup Series competitors.

post-3-1271195036.jpg

The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series has utilized the spoiler at the much smaller, less banked and slower speedways in Martinsville (.526 of a mile) and Phoenix (1 mile) before arriving at the 1.5-mile Texas Motor Speedway featuring 24-degree banking and speeds in excess of 190 miles per hour. Now there is a premium on mastering the downforce and aerodynamic effects of the new component if they plan to perform well in the Samsung Mobile 500.

With only a two-day open test at Charlotte Motor Speedway last month for teams to gather information on the new spoiler, drivers understand that there is a lot to learn this weekend at Texas.

“You can test and test and test, but until you drop the green flag with 43 cars out there that’s really the only time you can tell what’s going on because there is no way to simulate that,” Richard Childress Racing driver Kevin Harvick said. “Even at Charlotte, we ran and ran and ran, and there is no way to simulate that until you put them all out there together.”

Defending Samsung Mobile 500 champion Jeff Gordon said the move from the wing to the traditional spoiler has provided more downforce, which will translate into better racing.

“The conditions are conducive to great racing and side-by-side racing,” Gordon said of the new spoiler. “We’re going to see a lot of passing because the ability to pass is there, but we still need to make it 500 miles. I’m looking forward to the spoiler and using that on the car because I think we’re going to have more downforce. The fans like it – that’s good. I see a lot of positives, so I’m looking forward to that.”

Four-time defending Sprint Cup Series champion Jimmie Johnson understands that this weekend’s race at Texas Motor Speedway will be a barometer for the remainder of the season. With aerodynamics playing a larger role this weekend than the previous two races, Johnson said no one truly knows what to expect.

“We’re all throwing opinions out and Texas will be the weekend when we find out what’s up,” Johnson said. “Texas will be a huge measuring stick to where this spoiler fits into things and where things are.”

Archived