GM 7.5 Rearend problem

Huff Racn

I'm trying to change gears in a rearend(I didn't just change rearends because the gear that I need was in a rearend that I think is bent).The problem I'm having is when I put the pinion gear in and tighten the yoke back on I still have slack between the front of the rearend and the back of the yoke.I know that I'm doing something wrong because I took a spare rearend apart and tried to put it back together and I have the same problem,so it is something I'm doing wrong but can't see what it is,a couple other people have looked but can't figure it out either.If anybody has run into this problem or knows what the problem could be please let me know.Any and all help wiill be appreciated.Thanks.

a new sleeve should fix it ...if you cant get one ..slide the sleeve onto a pipe of close size and hammer it hard enough to stretch it back out iwhile spinning it after each hit up and down the sleeve ..... ..wont be as purty as a new one .. ...i know its the cheap way and off the wall . but it has worked many times ..and not just on racecars ...

How much slack are you talking about? If its a very small amount, then its the crush sleeve that has already been mentioned. If you are talking like 1/4 inch of slack, what you is have is two housings that appear to be metric housings, and for all purposes are with the exception of one item, the head bearing on the pinion.

77-81 housing looks and is just like the later model metric housing EXCEPT the head bearing is only 3.00. The 80-98 head bearing is 3.125. I found out the difference in some of my housings the hard way myself. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

its not a crush sleeve problem if there is a half inch gap! the sleeve isnt much longer than that total length, it sounds like the bearing isnt sliding down the pinion shaft properly getting cocked sideways or some other binding issue. now there are two different bearings as was already mentioned but if you are reassembling the other gear with all of the stock parts then there is some other issue, as long as your not mixing and matching parts.

Well it ended up being 2 different bearing sizes,and on the other rearend that I couldn't get to pull up,my air compresser just didn't have enough power.Thanks for all the help and replys from everybody.I knew I would get my problem solved with all the knowledge on this message board.Thanks again,everybody.

Well it ended up being 2 different bearing sizes,and on the other rearend that I couldn't get to pull up,my air compresser just didn't have enough power.Thanks for all the help and replys from everybody.I knew I would get my problem solved with all the knowledge on this message board.Thanks again,everybody.

http://ratech.stores.yahoo.net/75gmaxle.html

This site shows you the two different head bearing sizes. Been in your same exact boat at one time.

Archived