"Big Mike" McCarthy, Torres take IMCA Class wins @ I-37 Race

I-37 Raceway, 4/10/10

By J M Hallas

Pleasanton, Tx.,(April 10th, 2010) It was an exciting night of racing at Pleasanton's I-37 Raceway with two races being decided on the final lap and two drivers taking wild rides on(and off) the ¼ mile semi-banked clay oval. When the last checkered flag waved, four news faces had made their way to this years winners circle, including two first time winners.

Action started early in the Tator Plumbing Limited Late Model heat when Wesley Skains had the throttle stick sending him airborne over the turn 2 hill and out into the trees. According to Skains wife Heather he called from his cell phone, laughing, to let her know he was alright. In the Front Runner feature Alec Jasik took a wild tumble when something broke in the suspension sending him barrel rolling.

Both drivers walked away, Skains made repairs enough to start the feature and was competitive, but problems continued.

McCarthy on a Mission for Modified Main win

Coming back from early adversity, Round Rock's Mike McCarthy made a last lap pass to steal the victory away from last weeks winner, Rick Green. McCarthy got out front early but was forced to pit from the lead when a shock broke. McCarthy fought his way back to the front to battle with Green. When Green had his own troubles in the final laps, McCarthy snuck by coming to the white flag and held on for the win.

As the 20-lap IMCA Modified main event roared to life, McCarthy got a good jump from the pole to lead them into turn 1 with Bill Pittaway, Rick Green and Matt Fox three wide. Before completing lap 1 Marlin Sanford went around to bring about a complete restart. McCarthy again got out front with Fox and Green side by side for second. Green got the spot on lap 1, while Darin Leonard went by Sanford for fifth.

Robert Liese jr. was next to put Fox back a spot on lap 2 with Fox spinning and collecting Pittaway and Joe Spillman. Under caution McCarthy pulled off with a broken shock to the hot pit handing the lead Green on the lap 3 restart. Once back to green Leonard got past Liese for second, while McCarthy charged back into the top five. Fox looped it again on lap 4 to bring out a caution.

Once back to green McCarthy blasted past Sanford for fourth then Liese for third. Pittaway followed to fifth. A caution for debris on lap 6 saved Spillman who got tagged and spun on the front stretch. Leonard took a look low inside Green as green waved again, but fell back in line as the top three got away clean. Pittaway was able to take fourth from Sanford. At the crossed flags it was Green, Leonard, McCarthy, Pittaway and Sanford.

Spillman and Sanford swapped fifth on lap 12 as they battled around a lapped car. Fox broke and rolled off the track, but was close enough to the edge to bring out a yellow on lap 14. Green, with McCarthy now on his bumper got a four car length advantage on the restart but McCarthy quickly closed back in. As the top four eased away Sanford, Spillman and Joe O'Bryan scrapped it out for fifth until O'Bryan went around on lap 16.

The top three broke away on the green with Leonard looking to get back under McCarthy for second. Spillman got inside and by Sanford for fifth, but spun off turn 2 and collected Sanford for a lap 18 caution. As the racing resumed McCarthy got along side Green with the two wheel to wheel on the back stretch. Green held on to the point until lap 18 when he slipped high in turn 4. McCarthy seized the opportunity and slipped by to lead as the white flag waved. McCarthy in the Superior Race Fuels, Spillman Excavating, BG Mesa, BC Repairs, Quality Engine Exchange, Edge Chassis eased away to take the checkers.

“I was on a mission tonight,” replied McCarthy. “I really wanted to get a win tonight. I was driving it hard. This is my first win here since 2005.”

“I had a shock that broke in the heat race but didn't know it. It started flopping around in the feature so I pulled off and got it off. I ran the entire race without a left rear shock.”

“Rick's(Green) car had some brake problem and he slipped up and I got under him. I think the most important thing is to race people clean, and that's what I try to do. No matter who it is. I didn't have an opening until he broke. I don't know if I was fast enough to get by him.”

IMCA Modifieds

20 Mike McCarthy

82 Rick Green

26 Darin Leonard

37 Bill Pittaway

67 Robert Liese jr

44x Joe O'Bryan

44s Joe Spillman

17 Cody Tidwell

c31 Marlin Sanford

53 Matt Fox

24 Tracy Fink---DNS

IMCA Modified heats

Heat #1

37 Bill Pittaway

44s Joe Spillman

67 Robert Liese jr

53x Matt Fox

44x Joe O'Bryan

24 Tracy Fink---DNS

Heat #2

20 Mike McCarthy

26 Darin Leonard

82 Rick Green

c31 Marlin Sanford

17 Cody Tidwell

Torres Tops in Sportmod Scramble

Even a dismal heat race finish didn't bother Johnny Torres who would start the 20-lap IMCA Southern Sportmod feature, dead last. Torres quickly worked his way forward running in the top five by halfway. Torres moved in on early leader and defending class champion, Mark McGahey after a restart. Ducking inside on lap 12 Torres got past McGahey to lead lap 13. From there Torres increased his margin over McGahey easily cruising to his first checkers of the season.

As green waved on the 20-lap IMCA Southern Sportmod main Larry Jernigan beat Leland Frautchi out of turn 2 for the lead. Mark McGahey grabbed second, Frautchi, Robby Minten and Ray Doyon III lined up behind he leader. Jernigan went too high in turn 2 giving defending track champ, McGahey an opening to get the top spot. Jernigan and Doyon touched stacking up the field in turn 2 with Frautchi going around collecting David Routen and the newly “un”retired Randy Yount.

On the restart Bill Pittaway took a look low on Doyon for third, but Routen and Greg Rohmer went around in turn 4 to bring the yellow back out. Once back to racing Jason Stanley got by Jernigan for fifth and was putting the heat on Pittaway for fourth. Up front Minten got along side McGahey for lead with the two side by side on lap 4. McGahey held off Minten, while Stanley and Pittaway were now wheel to wheel for fourth.

Jernigan brought out the yellow on lap 5 when he went over the edge of turn 2. On the restart Doyon got past Minten for second, but Frautchi looped it in turn 2 for another yellow. Finally back to racing Stanley took fourth from Pittaway with Doug Livingston following to fifth and Torres taking a look for sixth. Minten was putting a charge on McGahey again for the lead, while Doyon took a side trip through the infield losing several spots.

Minten was still looking for a way by McGahey when he spun out of turn 4 to bring out the yellow on lap 8. On the restart Frautchi spun to keep the amber light on. Once back to green Torres was looking under Stanley for second as Livingston pulled off from fifth. At halfway the top five were now McGahey, Torres, Stanley, Pittaway and Rohmer. A lap 11 spin by Chris McLendon in turn 4 brought out the final yellow.

When the green waved again Stanley looked to retake second from Torres, but Torres held him off and now had his sights set on McGahey for the lead. Torres dove low in turn 1 and was able to get by McGahey for the point on lap 13. As Torres began inching away, Stanley and Pittaway both got past McGahey for second and third, respectively. Doyon worked his way back to the top five getting around Rohmer then McGahey for fourth. On the last lap Doyon took third from Pittaway, but out front Torres in the 24/7 Towing, Douglas Glass, Ace Transmissions, Spreen Racing Engines, Stealth Racing Chassis was taking the checkers.

“I just drove as hard as I could,” commented Torres who started 13th. “It seemed like I passed some guys three time getting up there. It was worth it at the end. The cushion was working pretty good. It started out a little heavy, but as it went along it dried out and I got faster.”

“I'm pretty good at starting near the back. I can't remember the last time I started up front so it was like a normal race. That's why I was comfortable back there. I feel good racing side by side with all these guys. We've been racing together for a long time.”

“I'm not worried about points. I'll just try to win as many as I can and see how it all works out.”

IMCA Southern Sportmods

66 Johnny Torres

92 Jason Stanley

D9 Ray Doyon III

37 Bill Pittaway

88 Mark McGahey

51 Greg Rohmer

18 Larry Jernigan

11 Chris McLendon

89 Doug Livingston

09 David Routen

4 Robby Minten

00 Leland Frautchi

66y Randy Yount

IMCA SSM heats

Heat #1

89 Doug Livingston

11 Chris McLendon

37 Bill Pittaway

00 Leland Frautchi

66y Randy Yount

66 Johnny Torres

09 David Routen

Heat #2

18 Larry Jernigan

D9 Ray Doyon III

92 Jason Stanley

88 Mark McGahey

4 Robby Minten

51 Greg Rohmer

With the Limited Late Models and Street Stocks both having short fields, they ran their features together, but scored separately. As green waved Barry Major got the lead of the Limited Late Models, while Dennis Jasik took the Street Stock point. Kelly Hardage got out of shape and body slammed Jasik in turn 2 ending both of their nights early. Once back to green, Major grabbed the top spot again with AJ Wernette leading the Street Stocks.

Wesley Skains, who took a wild ride in the heat race, brought out the yellow on lap 2 when he half spun and stalled. As racing resumed Major eased away from Richard Bartosh and Gary Hunter, as Skains worked his way back up. Skains got by Hunter then Bartosh and chased down Major for the lead on lap 9. Skains lost ground after going to high in turn 2 then went over the turn 2 hill, but not as far as the trees on this adventure.

Major again inched away from Bartosh and Hunter, while Wade Jones was waiting patiently behind Wernette in the Street Stock battle. Jones got around Wernette on the final circuit to take the Street Stock while Major scored his first victory in Limited Late Models.

Tator Plumbing Limited Late Models

33 Barry Major

7 Richard Bartosh

14 Gary Hunter

25 Wesley Skains

18 Shane Moore

12 Kelly Hardage

Limited Late Model heat winner; 33 Barry Major

Street Stocks

41 Wade Jones

37 AJ Wernette

8 Dennis Jasik

40 Mike Lyon---DNS

Street Stock heat winner; 41 Wade Jones

Jason Smith beat Brandy Ramzinski into turn 1 to get the point in the 18-car, 20-lap Pure Stock feature. Freddie Geirisch got by Ramzinski for second and caught Smith for lead on lap. Marc Roy and Sonny Jones both got past Ramzinski for third and fourth until Roy slipped off turn 2 giving third to Jones. Geirisch and Smith were door to door for the lead on lap 3, while Roy got third back from Jones. Geirisch was able sneak by Smith for the top spot on lap 4.

Roy took second from Smith on lap 4 while Jones snagged third on lap 6. The lead duo of Geirisch and Roy were catching the back of the pack when Anna Major got turned around to bring out a caution on lap 8. Once back to green, Geirisch inched ahead while Roy and Jones swapped second. Behind them Patrick White, Frank Okruhlik and Sean Terry had their own scramble going on for fifth.

Rick Snyder and JW tangled on lap 10 with Major ending up stuck on an infield tire. On the restart Jones ducked low on Geirisch getting along side on the back stretch. Jones got the bumper out front on lap 11 as the two continued to run side by side. Jones slipped high with Geirisch retaking the lead on lap 12 and Roy sneaking past for second. Roy had just started to pressure Geirisch for the lead when yellow waved for James Watson who took his Pure Stock truck four-wheeling of turn 2.

As green waved again Geirisch, Roy and Jones broke away from another three car battle between Ramzinski, Okruhlik and Terry for fourth. Terry got around Okruhlik for fifth on lap 16. With two to go Roy was on Geirisch's bumper and Jones was lurking three car lengths back. Geirisch was able to hold off the defending track champ Roy on the final lap, with Terry getting by Ramzinski and White going past Okruhlik.

Pure Stocks

19 Freddie Geirisch

24 Marc Roy

555 Sonny Jones

23 Sean Terry

88 Brandy Ramzinski

17 Patrick White

99 Frank Okruhlik

72 Gilbert Amezquita

4 Brandon Eure

9 Jarret Payton

66c Rick Snyder

77 Ray Radicke

43 Eric Watson

44 James Watson

80 JW

33 Anna Major

02 Philip Haywood

13 Jason Smith

15 William Cavender---DNS

Pure Stock heat winners; 19 Freddie Geirisch, 24 Marc Roy, 17 Patrick White

With a couple generous contributions from Tator(Mason) Plumbing and Pure Stock driver, Jason Smith the Front Runners has more than just glory and a trophy on the line for their 15-lap, 13-car feature. At the start Chad Thrush and Nick Hencey stayed side by side until Charlie Earnhardt III squirted through the middle to get the lead on lap 1. Hencey, Roy Easler, Thrush and Cameron Smith fell in line behind Earnhardt.

Easler spun himself out of third on lap 2, with James Sanford getting by Smith for fifth. Easler couldn't clear the edge of the track bringing out a caution on lap 3. On green, Earnhardt and Hencey put some distance on the third place fight. Sanford did a half spin on lap 5 giving up fifth to Steven Stanley. By halfway Earnhardt was pulling ahead of Hencey, while Alec Jasik got by Thrush for third.

Sanford had just taken fifth back from Stanley when red waved for Jasik who ended up on his roof after rolling 1 ½ times in between turns 1-2. Jasik was able to crawl out a little shaken, but otherwise uninjured. When the field was shown the green again Hencey got a good jump getting by Earnhardt in turn 1. Earnhardt fought back in turn 2 to retake the top spot. The top three ran nose to tail in the final laps, but no one could get by the Earnhardt who took his second win on the year.

Front Runners

33 Charlie Earnhardt III

911 Nick Hencey

35 James Sanford

T-30 Chad Thrush

20 Brent Bouchillion

96 Steven Stanley

66c Cindy Snider

98 Amber Clay

113 Hailee Marcx

67 Kathy Williams

8jr Alec Jasik---flipped