DOT laws

RobbinsSr

I know this was discussed on here before but I cant find it. So anyway, I have a 2 car open trailer I haul our 2 race cars on. If I put out team name on the trailer does that make the popo consider me as a company and to where I have to follow DOT regs and insurance laws? Does anyonw know?

What color are the wheels?

Just kidding. You can paint anything you want on it. If you use it for hire, or are claiming any expenses for it on any business (excluding sch F usually) tax return it will be found to be a commercial vehicle. Combined weight over 6500 lbs and used in a business must go DOT.

My bigger concern would be insurance. Two cars, the trailer and truck is a lot of weight and can easily cause damage that far exceeds your personal limits of insurance exposing your assets. And you know the old saying ... "cover your assets".

Mr. Borelace,

Although you get paid to race, it does not make it a commercial vehicle. If you are not for hire, hauling your own racing equipment, you may be exempt depending on the GVW. Once when I presented that question to the DPS, their response was that just because of doctor hauls a thermometer to his office in his vehicle, that does not make it a commercial vehicle. There are certainly ample ways to work around the commercial verhicle regulations.

Are you sure about that 6500 lbs combined weight. Regular pickup plus trailer plus race car would be over that unless car is very light. My diesel dually weighs over that alone.

Clare

I am certain on the weight of the veh (although I did mis-state as combined). I have a client who got popped for not being DOT and not having the number on the fender. She had a 1 ton used to pull the backhoe, but she was pulled over empty\no trailer. When she produced the insurance card and it had her company name on it.... Out came the ticket book.

And keep in mind it has little to do with the actual weight - it goes by gross vehicle weight RATING.

For Vehicle:

Actually its 6500 GVWR on the tow veh - under FED law (the road use tax threshold - state is silent on GVWR until 25001 - so follows FED on two axle vehicles, if you use that diesel dually commercially - except farm - you must follow DOT) - however three axles used commercially (no weight qualifier) - state law says must have registration receipt in veh and reg number on vehicle and commercial limit insurance policy.

For driver:

At 25001+ (tow veh gvwr with trailer less than 10000\20000 farm) you must have a class b license - at 25002+ tow veh and trailer more than 10000\20000 farm (regardless of combined weight) you need an A.

So pulling our travel trailer with the f250 we are at 22500 CGVWR - the GVWR of the tow veh is 9999 and the trailer is 12500. Class C

Pulling that trailer with a 25001 GVWR MOTORHOME we would need an A - as a B would only allow a 9999 trailer.

So towing a race car? strap a bail of hay on the car and screw the cops - its ag!

Archived