Tracking down a knock

keyman

Trying to return to racing after 10 years. After working like crazy for months and battling the spouse I managed to buy a turnkey sportmod(I thought)Didn't check it out enough and found when engine is warm it had a rattle after accelerating. I figure a rod bearing. Rather than blow it up figure I would have it rebuilt (the guy I bought it from said the motor was rebuilt three races ago)I have the motor out and removed oil pan. From looking at the pistons and gaskets it looks like it might have been rebuilt. I would like to check the bearings without complete dis assembly. Maybe check the rod bearings then the mains. Am I wasting my time or should i just go to rebuild? Any recommendations on motor guys or if someone could help. I have a second motor but just figured out its a two piece seal and i will need a different flywheel. I don't remember racing being this hard! Was planning on Feb practice and season opener at Kileen and haven,t made a lap yet but still optomistic,thanks

we have a motto in our team ..when in doubt take it out ..no second thoughts here .it comes apart period ... cheaper that way ..fresh bearings and a good look .never hurt .and are alot cheaper than a blown motor ..now does that mean you have a bearing problem ..nope .but take it apart .or get someone who knows what they are doing .if you dont .you may save alot of money ahead of time ...

Trying to return to racing after 10 years. After working like crazy for months and battling the spouse I managed to buy a turnkey sportmod(I thought)Didn't check it out enough and found when engine is warm it had a rattle after accelerating. I figure a rod bearing. Rather than blow it up figure I would have it rebuilt (the guy I bought it from said the motor was rebuilt three races ago)I have the motor out and removed oil pan. From looking at the pistons and gaskets it looks like it might have been rebuilt. I would like to check the bearings without complete dis assembly. Maybe check the rod bearings then the mains. Am I wasting my time or should i just go to rebuild? Any recommendations on motor guys or if someone could help. I have a second motor but just figured out its a two piece seal and i will need a different flywheel. I don't remember racing being this hard! Was planning on Feb practice and season opener at Kileen and haven,t made a lap yet but still optomistic,thanks

Attack it with a set of micrometers. you can not tell if it needs freshened or rebuilt without em. You could plastigage - but thats as accurate as throwing your money in the air and hoping it lands back in your pocket.

My experience is its always cheaper in the long run to rebuild. At least now you have a block and heads - you may not when a rod lets go at 6K rpm.

thanks Guys, I found someone in Pflugerville said they would do it for 2$$ and I threw rods thru the bottom of a motor at Thill,dont want to do that again.Wanted to get done by this weekend but its supposed to rain again. Just itchy to get on track(first time on dirt) Thanks for the help

Archived